+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Different name on my new passport and PR card

Evski

Jan 19, 2016
Hi Guys!

I have a question for you all ... I received my new passport and my first name is slightly different than on my PR card. Every year they have new rules about transcription of the names ... On my PR card my name is Evgenia (like on my old passport) and on my new passport is Evgeniya. Do you think I'm gonna have problem when I cross the border? or it doesn't matter? They just added an extra letter to my name ... but everything else remains the same.

Please advise.

Thanks

softfuel12

Sep 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
Doc's Request.
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
08-12-2014
Med's Request
02-02-2016
Med's Done....
29-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-03-2016
When did you change your name? Is it after landing or before? If it was before then you should've informed CIC about it. At border, it depends upon the agent verifying your details if you tell him/her that this was CIC's fault then they might allow your entry but not every time. Always carry both your old and new passports.

Anyways, it is better to change your name on the PR card. If your record of landing/CoPR has the same name then you first have to request to amend that document. Check below link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/amend.asp

Later after getting corrected record of landing/CoPR, you can request a corrected PR card. Check below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5530Eguide.asp

Evski

Jan 19, 2016
I received my new passport with my amended name after I received my PR. I didn't know that they will do it, because the international transcription rules are changing all the time and usually when you apply for the new passport the embassies do not tell you that your name will be adjusted.

It is really frustrating ... I just received my PR card 2 months ago .... and I guess I need to re-apply again.

But the real problem is I have to travel in a month and I wont have time to receive my new PR card. I guess the real question is when you cross the border are they really be looking at why there is an extra letter to your first name or they will just let me go ....

Thank you for your reply.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Evski said:
I received my new passport with my amended name after I received my PR. I didn't know that they will do it, because the international transcription rules are changing all the time and usually when you apply for the new passport the embassies do not tell you that your name will be adjusted.

It is really frustrating ... I just received my PR card 2 months ago .... and I guess I need to re-apply again.

But the real problem is I have to travel in a month and I wont have time to receive my new PR card. I guess the real question is when you cross the border are they really be looking at why there is an extra letter to your first name or they will just let me go ....

Thank you for your reply.
They might. So why risk it? Contact your embassy and ask for a certification on your name change in your new passport. It's usually a letter with signature and stamp of the ambassador or someone qualified that explains the change.

There would be no serious problem at the border as long as you can explain the scenario thoroughly, respectfully and sincerely. Take your old passport with you as well. To have some evidence up your sleeves.

Best of luck,