+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference in Physical presence numbers between GCMS Notes and Citizenship Application

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
Hey guys,

I noticed today in my GCMS notes that when I compare the physical presence numbers in my citizenship application file (which are correct) with what I can see in GCMS notes, there is a difference. Basically, the difference is EXACTLY the days I spent in the US after becoming Canadian PR.
For example, if I became Canadian PR in Jan 2019 but I moved here in Jan, 2020, GCMS notes calculation is adding the year 2019 days (365) to my physical presence number. Let us say instead of showing 1120, it is showing 1485 (1120+365) as the physical presence number.

I couldn't understand why is it the way it is in GCMS because I can confirm from my citizenship application exported pdf file that I have submitted and calculated the correct physical presence days and reported all the missing from Canada days in the past 5 years.

Not sure if I should take any action for it or maybe IRCC's calculation just "okayed" the presence at a point calculating backward till the applicant meets the condition for 1095 days.

I am able to find a post from 2021 where someone mentioned the same issue but there is no resolution/end result mentioned in it.

Does anyone know about this? If anyone who has ordered GCMS notes has a similar case, can you verify your notes and confirm if you can also see the difference?

Thanks!
S

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
I faced a similar issue. Initially, the IRCC in Sydney performs an automated calculation of your physical presence based on their system, not on your citizenship application. Sometimes, technical issues can lead to the removal of entire days from your status in the country. This happened to me, reducing my physical presence to less than 1095 days and making me ineligible. My file was then sent to the support division, and after a 9-month wait, a senior officer reviewed it and cancelled my application. I responded, and they created a new application after correcting my physical presence. This issue seems to persist, and it might take a while to resolve. My advice: if your physical presence noted in the GCMS is less than 1095 days, contact them to rectify it. Otherwise, it's not worth the time

Reactions: sidroy09

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
I faced a similar issue. Initially, the IRCC in Sydney performs an automated calculation of your physical presence based on their system, not on your citizenship application. Sometimes, technical issues can lead to the removal of entire days from your status in the country. This happened to me, reducing my physical presence to less than 1095 days and making me ineligible. My file was then sent to the support division, and after a 9-month wait, a senior officer reviewed it and cancelled my application. I responded, and they created a new application after correcting my physical presence. This issue seems to persist, and it might take a while to resolve. My advice: if your physical presence noted in the GCMS is less than 1095 days, contact them to rectify it. Otherwise, it's not worth the time
In my GCMS notes,
Basic Residence: 1809
Physical Presence: 1608

Therefore, my physical presence noted in the GCMS is more than 1095 days.

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
In my GCMS notes,
Basic Residence: 1809
Physical Presence: 1608

Therefore, my physical presence noted in the GCMS is more than 1095 days.
Basic Residence counts the days since you landed in Canada, whether you are in Canada or not. In contrast, Physical Presence refers to the actual days you've spent in Canada in the last 5 years.

Reactions: armoured

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
Basic Residence counts the days since you landed in Canada, whether you are in Canada or not. In contrast, Physical Presence refers to the actual days you've spent in Canada in the last 5 years.
Yes, but like I said. As per my calculation and what I submitted in the application as well, the Physical Presence should be 1116.
The Physical Presence number shown in GCMS notes is inflated exactly by the number of days I was out of Canada before migrating here.
I hope it won't be a problem since in both cases the Physical Presence number is more than 1095.

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
Closing off this discussion with the update that my application has progressed as expected and thankfully no issues were encountered because of the difference I mentioned in my initial post. :)

Reactions: adbcca