+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

difference in name

nisah

Feb 19, 2011
Hi, I have a canadian PR and I am a Malaysian. non Muslim by faith. I intend to marry a Muslim in Malaysia. The Malaysian laws require me to get married in Muslim way and my name to be changed in all future documents. However my PR card has my maiden name (which I dont intend to change). My passport with my original name too is valid till January, 2012. I intend to live with my hubby for abt 4 months before I return to Canada.

The scenario is that when I declare the change of my marital status to Canadian embassy in Malaysia, my marriage certificate and my pr card will have different names. And if I were to renew my passport after marriage (which i will probably have to since it is expiring soon) that too will have the name I had to adopt after marriage. Will this cause any problems to me when I want to sponsor my husband to Canada?

PS: I am still entitled to keep my first and middle name but will have to change my surname.

I am so confused. Please advise. Thank you.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
The PR card has to match the name on you passport. If they will eventually change the name on your passport I suggest getting the PR card as well, and your name to be consistent in all your documents.
Your passport has to be updated before the PR card.

Hope this helps!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nisah said:
Hi, I have a canadian PR and I am a Malaysian. non Muslim by faith. I intend to marry a Muslim in Malaysia. The Malaysian laws require me to get married in Muslim way and my name to be changed in all future documents. However my PR card has my maiden name (which I dont intend to change). My passport with my original name too is valid till January, 2012. I intend to live with my hubby for abt 4 months before I return to Canada.

The scenario is that when I declare the change of my marital status to Canadian embassy in Malaysia, my marriage certificate and my pr card will have different names. And if I were to renew my passport after marriage (which i will probably have to since it is expiring soon) that too will have the name I had to adopt after marriage. Will this cause any problems to me when I want to sponsor my husband to Canada?

PS: I am still entitled to keep my first and middle name but will have to change my surname.

I am so confused. Please advise. Thank you.
Why would you declare your marriage to the Canadian embassy in Malaysia?

nisah

Feb 19, 2011
because my status will change from single to married when i re-enter Canada. I want to be able to sponsor my husband without any obstacles in the future.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nisah said:
because my status will change from single to married when i re-enter Canada. I want to be able to sponsor my husband without any obstacles in the future.
You are already a PR. You don't need to declare a change in your marital status to the embassy. It will have no impact on your ability to re-enter Canada or to sponsor your husband after re-entry.