+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference employment reference letter vs. Employment records vs. Letter from current employer

JanineT

Jun 23, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to gather all the documents to apply for a temporary work permit.
During the last years I have been a phd student (Germany, it's been the only position I had after completing the Masters) and I will start as a postdoctoral fellow in January (Canada).
I'm not quite sure if I got the difference between the
- employment reference letter (= main body = skills/ duties + also specific period of employment, salary, working hours)
- letter from current employer (= letter from
Human Resources providing information regarding the salary, position - which has always been the same)
- employment records (=
Since I only have one - that is the position I had while I'm a Phd student, is it the same as the reference letter?)
Right.

I'm so thankful to get any information on the difference!

Moreover, I have another question regarding the proof of qualification:
I have submitted my thesis and I also have a report of my supervisor providing information on the thesis and stating the mark. Do you have any experiences whether this information + a reference letter stating why I'm skilled for the position might be enough? The postdoctoral fellow program states that I have to complete the doctoral degree within the first three years of the postdoctoral appointment - so It would be ok for the university if the date of the defense is after I started the position.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to gather all the documents to apply for a temporary work permit.
During the last years I have been a phd student (Germany, it's been the only position I had after completing the Masters) and I will start as a postdoctoral fellow in January (Canada).
I'm not quite sure if I got the difference between the
- employment reference letter (= main body = skills/ duties + also specific period of employment, salary, working hours)
- letter from current employer (= letter from
Human Resources providing information regarding the salary, position - which has always been the same)
- employment records (=
Since I only have one - that is the position I had while I'm a Phd student, is it the same as the reference letter?)
Right.

I'm so thankful to get any information on the difference!

Moreover, I have another question regarding the proof of qualification:
I have submitted my thesis and I also have a report of my supervisor providing information on the thesis and stating the mark. Do you have any experiences whether this information + a reference letter stating why I'm skilled for the position might be enough? The postdoctoral fellow program states that I have to complete the doctoral degree within the first three years of the postdoctoral appointment - so It would be ok for the university if the date of the defense is after I started the position.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks a lot!!
Employment reference letter, letter from current employer, or HR providing info...are all the same. Depending on the type of visa/permit you are applying for, your employment letter needs to have the following details:
  • Start and end date
  • Job Title
  • Duties
  • Salary
  • Type of employment: full-time, etc.
  • Company's contact details

Good luck!

willemd

Aug 3, 2017
Thanks a lot!!!
I need to upload all three document types - that's why I'm so confused..
Hi,

I am in a very similar situation (applying from the Netherlands). I was quite confused about all the employment information. What did you end up doing? I was hoping that one letter from my supervisor stating both my duties as a phd student and the annual phd researcher salary (and other benefits) would suffice for all these three categories. What do you think?

Abdelahhad

Jan 1, 2017
I am going to Toronto this month to strt my Post-Doc position.
My advice to you is that you write a very good explanation letter and try to explain that your investment was in your Ph.D training.
Get a support letter from your future supervisor at Canada To make your application strong and to explain why he/she found you suitable for the project.
Do provide bank statement as a prove of financial support.
Ignoring these point may result to decline of your application as what happened to me before I re applied and got it approved.
Good Luck,

willemd

Aug 3, 2017
My advice to you is that you write a very good explanation letter and try to explain that your investment was in your Ph.D training.
Get a support letter from your future supervisor at Canada To make your application strong and to explain why he/she found you suitable for the project.
Ignoring these point may result to decline of your application as what happened to me before I re applied and got it approved.
Good Luck,
Thanks for the input. There are no questions about my financial situation though. Where did you upload them?

Abdelahhad

Jan 1, 2017
Thanks for the input. There are no questions about my financial situation though. Where did you upload them?
You include all other supporting documents within your Letter of Explanation and merge everything as on PDF file.
you are welcomed

rahimpal

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
China
NOC Code......
i cannot get frm the supervisors , my collegeaus can mention the job duties on letter head and sign it.is this accepted ?

company seal on letter head is it mandatory?

Ashuks@C

Aug 21, 2018
Good Luck,
Good Luck,
Hello Sir,
I have a postdoc position to join at Hamilton this Nov but my thesis reports are yet to arrive. Instead I have thesis submission copy, offer letter and LMIA exempt document. I am also confused between the , Employment reference letter (is it offer letter?), letter from current employer, and employement records. Can you help me?

Antje2018

Sep 24, 2018
Hi everybody,

I'm in the same situation as you, Janine. I'm from Germany and I will do my Postdoc in Toronto. Can you tell me what you sent in the end? My pay stubs and working contracts are all in german - do I need to get official translations of all of them? Would be quite expensive and time consuming...

I'm happy about any help and any advice!

Ashuks@C

Aug 21, 2018
Hi everybody,

I'm in the same situation as you, Janine. I'm from Germany and I will do my Postdoc in Toronto. Can you tell me what you sent in the end? My pay stubs and working contracts are all in german - do I need to get official translations of all of them? Would be quite expensive and time consuming...

I'm happy about any help and any advice!

Ashuks@C

Aug 21, 2018
In the end I submitted different letters, one from my PhD Boss (letter from current employer), one from my institute (employment ref.) and salary slip for last 6 months for employment record. But please ask from other sources since I am not sure. Till now, however I have not felt any problem and they have just updated the status for my medical as Passed.

spRaven

Dec 22, 2017
when i applyed was confussing too. so:
employment reference letter and
Letter from current employer,
I upload the same document (reference letter from current employer)
Employment records upload current and past reference letter.

I'm in Canada, so it works. :)

Camilesothe

Oct 27, 2019
Hi guys
I will request the postoctoral fellow visa for Canada and I have the same doubts as you. I would like to know if someone attached the same document for:
-letter from current employer
-employment reference letter and
-employment contract

The description of each one is very similar. Would be a letter from my PhD supervisor?

Thank you!

pdramerico

Feb 14, 2020
Hi guys
I will request the postoctoral fellow visa for Canada and I have the same doubts as you. I would like to know if someone attached the same document for:
-letter from current employer
-employment reference letter and
-employment contract

The description of each one is very similar. Would be a letter from my PhD supervisor?

Thank you!
Hi,

I have the same doubt here. Did you use the PhD supervisor letter as an employment reference? Did it work?

Thanks!