+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between Permanent residence and Citizenship?

Discussion in 'Family Class Sponsorship' started by jordana, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Hello Everybody:

For some time I have had this question rolling around in my mind, and I believe is important enough to pose it here.

What is the difference between being a permanent Resident and a Canadian citizen? Is there any difference between the rights and obligations?

I think I heard somewhere that Permanent Residents have a visa that endures 5 years, and after that they have to start over again, is that true or just bogus?

2. Main differences:

PR:
    - can't vote
    - can't have Canadian passport
    - must be in Canada 2 out of every 5 years to maintain status

Citizen:
    - can vote
    - can have passport
    - no residence rules

I'm sure I missed something...

3. Thanks!

I have been browsing the CIC web and it says that there are two ways of losing the PR:

1. Committing a serious criminal offense
    2. Not staying at least 730 days in Canada in a 5 year period.

Seems pretty fair to me.

I wonder why people apply for citizenship; apparently there is not much difference in rights and obligations between that and the PR status.

4. If you are Permanent Resident, Can you go to USA as easier as a Canadian Citizen showing the passport?

5. Hi

No, a PR (unless from a visa waiver country) requires a visitor visa to enter the US.

6. Hmm... maybe so they can vote. Also, perhaps, because as a citizen you can come and go as you please and you dont have to worry about how long you can be gone and if you can come back.

I became a US citizen because it was almost the same price as renewing my Green Card and then I would never have to do it again. Also, I would then be able to retain my US passport and could live in either country at any time. It is a matter of convenience.

7. 2 years consecutive? what if someone wanna take vacation for 1 or 2 weeks?

8. no, luckily its counted in days! you just have to be in Canada 730 days out of 1825 days. and it rolls over. say you renew your PR, but don`t go for citizenship. If you had stayed for the first two years but left after that, you would have to return on your 6th year of being a PR in order to maintain your PR status. Even though you just renewed your PR status, you couldn`t leave because it doesn`t count as a start-over, its the last 1825 days that count. Its sort of confusing, I know.

9. In my case, the main reason for me to consider becoming a citizen as opposed to staying a permanent resident is to avoid the cost and hassle of having to renew my PR every 5 years. I don't really care about voting and I don't plan to travel much.

10. I think I'll probably get my citizenship at some point, just to save the hassle of renewing the PR and worrying about future policy changes, etc.

I would just like the feeling of 'full rights' after going through all this mess.

11. if ur everything is good then get citizenship and pasport

12. I have a question, my step-brother-in-laws were originally from the Dominican Republic and became "landed immigrants" (same as PR?) when they were kids but they lived in the US illegally on a visa for 10 years or more or so. They still have status in Canada as being PR's, both have jobs. How doesn't the 730 day limit apply there?

13. Well, I think some people consider becoming a Canadian citizen a real privilege, particularly those from poor or politically turbulent countries. Certainly having a Canadian passport can make life much much easier when travelling. Also, you can't work in some government jobs or run for a government office as a PR. My husband is so excited about becoming a citizen and is practically counting the days until he can become one.

14. I can't wait to be a citizen.....why else did I get my PR????

because I love Canada and want to be part of Canadian society and live with my Canadian partner forever....what other reason would anyone want a PR for?

15. Are they working for a Canadian business/government/military in the states?