+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between Permanent residence and Citizenship?

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Oh no sorry, they became landed immigrants/permanent residents of Canada when they were kids because their father and them moved to Canada from the Dominican Republic. Also while being kids, they got visas to the US and way overstayed. When they went back to Canada May 2009, their visas from the US were stripped but they're still Canadian PR's. I was just wondering how that could be if you constantly have to remain in Canada for a certain period of time...?

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
"Permanent residents" is the "new" term for what used to be "landed immigrants" but perhaps older rules apply to the previous ones. Usually without a PR card you at least need a travel document to re-enter Canada, but it seems that there may be a loophole for citizens of visa-exempt counties. In David Cohen's blog post, he claims that citizens of visa-exempt countries can get away with just coming back for 2 years and thereby qualifying again.

Silver_Spirit

Nov 25, 2008
Peterborough, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2010
Doc's Request.
27-03-2010
File Transfer...
16-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Passport Req..
02-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2010
LANDED..........
17-07-2010
I plan on applying for citizenship as i'd like to have the right to have a say in the country i live in by voting, plus you have to pay to renew your PR every 5 years (i believe) plus i'd like to have a canadian passport since i don't plan on ever leaving my hubby n going home :)

P

pk2ca123

There is one more BIG difference.. being a PR you are stuck in Canada if you sponsor a spouse who lives outside Canada. You cant go to meet your spouse for the entire time your Spouse's application for Permanent Residence is in process (or just sitting in the embassy).. Even if you have kids... and for some countries like Pakistan, the processing time is up to 3 years.

PRs are supposed to not see their spouse for 3 years if they wish to sponsor them. This is a huge disadvantage of being a PR which is often not discussed.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pk2ca123 said:
There is one more BIG difference.. being a PR you are stuck in Canada if you sponsor a spouse who lives outside Canada. You cant go to meet your spouse for the entire time your Spouse's application for Permanent Residence is in process (or just sitting in the embassy).. Even if you have kids... and for some countries like Pakistan, the processing time is up to 3 years.

PRs are supposed to not see their spouse for 3 years if they wish to sponsor them. This is a huge disadvantage of being a PR which is often not discussed.
Nobody forbids you to go visit your spouse briefly. A normal vacation of 2-3 weeks should not hurt. However, be aware that you must be residing in Canada as a PR sponsor so if you quit your job and move to stay with your spouse and immigration finds out, your application is gone.

P

pk2ca123

Leon said:
Nobody forbids you to go visit your spouse briefly. A normal vacation of 2-3 weeks should not hurt. However, be aware that you must be residing in Canada as a PR sponsor so if you quit your job and move to stay with your spouse and immigration finds out, your application is gone.
Leon Thanks for the info.. I have a question.. If the status of the sponsor changes from PR to Citizen after Stage 1. i.e sponsor approved.. then s/he becomes eligible to stay outside Canada for the rest of the immigration application processing? Or he still needs to stay in Canada because when s/he applied at that time s/he was a PR?

P

pk2ca123

My wife's citizenship's application is also in process for the last 1 year. if she gets her test + oath done in next few months.. then can she come and live with me here in Pakistan while my file is still in process... ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pk2ca123 said:
My wife's citizenship's application is also in process for the last 1 year. if she gets her test + oath done in next few months.. then can she come and live with me here in Pakistan while my file is still in process... ?
Grey area. Citizens are allowed to sponsor while living overseas but in that case, they must show plans to move to Canada when their spouse gets their PR. If your wife leaves Canada to join you, they may want her to show such plans.

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
Oct 4, 2012 9:00am
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
heatherusa said:
Hmm... maybe so they can vote. Also, perhaps, because as a citizen you can come and go as you please and you dont have to worry about how long you can be gone and if you can come back.

I became a US citizen because it was almost the same price as renewing my Green Card and then I would never have to do it again. Also, I would then be able to retain my US passport and could live in either country at any time. It is a matter of convenience.
as a PR you can vote in municipal elections but not federal elections

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
The other impact could be on the upcoming changes to the immigration system where certain classes of sponsorship would require Canadian Citizenship. For example, currently any one (PR or Citizen) can apply for sponsoring parents. However, CIC is not actively considering to limit the applications only from citizens. Though this is not implemented yet, it gives an indication that for certain cases, citizenship would be a requirement.

heybuddy

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-01-2012
File Transfer...
29-03-2012
Leon said:
Grey area. Citizens are allowed to sponsor while living overseas but in that case, they must show plans to move to Canada when their spouse gets their PR. If your wife leaves Canada to join you, they may want her to show such plans.
I wouldn't recommend that at all; I spoke to my lawyer regarding this and she had advised to not stay there for too long since CIC is cracking down on people who have no/minimal ties to Canada. If they question her about this, she will have to come up with a very good reason. Just my 2 cents

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KJG said:
as a PR you can vote in municipal elections but not federal elections
Maybe in other provinces you can - but in Ontario you must be a citizen to vote in the municipal elections.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
ariell said:
Well, I think some people consider becoming a Canadian citizen a real privilege, particularly those from poor or politically turbulent countries. Certainly having a Canadian passport can make life much much easier when travelling. Also, you can't work in some government jobs or run for a government office as a PR. My husband is so excited about becoming a citizen and is practically counting the days until he can become one.
Yes! I agree with you. my fiance is from mexico, and really his feelings are you cant have a good life in mexico its getting worse and worse. so he is thrilled to have the opportunity to become canada!, hes counting down till he can get his citizenship aswell. and were still in the PR step. haha but now i understand why people are so excited to become citizens. its such a priviledge :)

mmkcanada

Nov 15, 2011
i have one question, as i have a PR and want to apply for US visa from pakistan, is my PR give me some advantage for visa? and secondly what i fill in us form for "DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER NATIONALTY?" can i answer YES for this if i have PR....

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
LeisaP said:
Yes! I agree with you. my fiance is from mexico, and really his feelings are you cant have a good life in mexico its getting worse and worse. so he is thrilled to have the opportunity to become canada!, hes counting down till he can get his citizenship aswell. and were still in the PR step. haha but now i understand why people are so excited to become citizens. its such a priviledge :)
I have to agree with most of you and disagree with some here!
You do not have to be from a poor and an undeveloped country in order to want to be a Canadian citizen. I came to Canada as a Landed immigrant in 1980 and in 1984 I applied and became a Canadian citizen. I did it because I decided that if I want to be a part of this great country and take part on decisions that affect my life and those of my family! I never lost my previous citizenship (As it would have been if I had taken US citizenship)

Regards to all