+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference Between Offer of employment and Letter of Employment

onkarshinde

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Hi All,

I need help regarding my current situation:

I came on Intra company transfer from the USA to Canada in April 2019 and resigned in March 2020 from Company A. I still have a valid visa till 2021.

I got an offer from Company B and I got a positive LMIA from Company B and my new work permit is in process. In the meantime, I got an ITA on 9th April under CEC.

My question is while uploading documents, they are asking me offer of employment and a Letter of Employment. I am assuming my offer of Employment will be from Company B with whom I got my positive LMIA. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

So, what is a Letter of Employment? Who should give me this, company A or Company B? My new company B said they cannot give me letter of employment as my new work permit is still in process.

Also, I had a fallout with Company A and I have filed a claim with Ontario Labor for nonpayment of my dues and I do have a claim number too, so I doubt my old employer will give me any documents. Whatever documents I have like a letter of employment are dated in 2018, will this be accepted?

Really confused, please help members!

Thanks

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Letter of employment: is what you use to prove your previous work history, this will allow you to earn points for foreign or Canadian work experience.
  • You should get this from company A, because this is the only actual experience you have.
  • If you cannot get this from them, you should provide any documentation and a letter of explanation of why you can provide this document since it is mandatory.
  • Additional documents you can use are Pay stubs, T4 forms, etc.
Offer of employment: this is what you use to claim 50 points for arranged employment. Based on the information you provided this will not be satisfied by the offer you have from company B.
  • You could only get this from a prospective employer, or a current employer.
  • This letter has to state you will be working for at least one year after becoming a PR.
  • This requirement is frequently hard to satisfy.
Hope this clarifies...

onkarshinde

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Letter of employment: is what you use to prove your previous work history, this will allow you to earn points for foreign or Canadian work experience.
  • You should get this from company A, because this is the only actual experience you have.
  • If you cannot get this from them, you should provide any documentation and a letter of explanation of why you can provide this document since it is mandatory.
  • Additional documents you can use are Pay stubs, T4 forms, etc.
Offer of employment: this is what you use to claim 50 points for arranged employment. Based on the information you provided this will not be satisfied by the offer you have from company B.
  • You could only get this from a prospective employer, or a current employer.
  • This letter has to state you will be working for at least one year after becoming a PR.
  • This requirement is frequently hard to satisfy.
Hope this clarifies...
Thank you. I have employment agreement from company A dated 2018, will that be suffice? I also have T4, paystubs etc.

I have a positive lmia from company B and offer letter that does not has start date but other info which you mentioned is stated.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thank you. I have employment agreement from company A dated 2018, will that be suffice? I also have T4, paystubs etc.

I have a positive lmia from company B and offer letter that does not has start date but other info which you mentioned is stated.
To prove your previous employment with company A the required documents is the letter of employment, according to IRCC with the following specs:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits
If you are unable to provide this, then you have to submit a letter explaining why this is and any evidence you might be able to gather as well as any other documents to back your claim. IRCC allows for this since they are aware not everyone will be able to get such letter. However, this will just make your life more complicated and you'll have to provide as much information as possible.

Regarding employment B, you haven't started yet, and unless it specifically states that they will employ you for at least 1 year after you become a PR (this has to be written in the letter), you will not be able to claim the 50 points for arranged employment and this will lead to your application being refused is your CRS falls under the minimum score for your round.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

Also based on your 1st post, you worked between April 2019 and March 2020, however, did you complete at least 52 weeks of work?

If not you are still not eligible to apply under the CEC, because you need to have worked for at least 52 weeks and 30 h or more for each of these weeks. (or the equivalent in part time)

onkarshinde

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Also based on your 1st post, you worked between April 2019 and March 2020, however, did you complete at least 52 weeks of work?

If not you are still not eligible to apply under the CEC, because you need to have worked for at least 52 weeks and 30 h or more for each of these weeks. (or the equivalent in part time)
This helps thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would make sure to verify with employer B that you still have a job offer and job. Many employers are re-evaluating potential new hires.

Bernd1t

Apr 25, 2020
A letter of employment is the one that is issued upon request as a certificate anytime on the date you join or even later if you ask your HR for one.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Does letter of employment from previous work expire
No, as long as it’s dated after your left the company.

For current employment, it should be as near to your application date as possible or after you earned x number of years of experience. For example, for CEC, if you’re claiming one year of work experience (either full or part time) then your letter/s of employment should be dated on or after you gained one year of work experience.