Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CEC filed 09-22-2014
Nomination.....
PNP filed 01-2014, nominated 06-2015. EE-ITA 01-2016
AOR Received.
CEC-AOR 02-04-2015, EE-AOR 02-2016
Med's Done....
EE Medical Passed 02-2016. ECAS MER 03-14-2016.
Passport Req..
PPR 2016-04-06, DM 2016-04-08
VISA ISSUED...
2016-04-12
LANDED..........
2016-05-22
I am working in Alberta for 2 years now and my employer is supporting me to apply to PR through an immigration lawyer (representative). The company covers the cost (at least $11,000 of legal fee) 8) Yeah!! I took it because it's free and it sounded reassuring to have a professional immigration representative looking after my case, BUT then these are what happened:

- My first contact by that lawyer was about 1.5 years ago, back then he wanted me to apply through Alberta's provincial nominee program (the AINP), taking my wife (international worker has work permit until 2016) as a depedant. While I am working as an engineer which qualify me through CEC stream, my work permit expires 1.5 years after then.

- I filled out my AINP application forms by August 2013, but he wanted all supporting documents from me and my wife (such as police certificates, birth cerificates and ...) which are NOT REQUIRED to obtain my AINP approval.

- After about 0.5 years of delay, he submitted my AINP application. My work permit expires 1 years after then.

- The AINP program, as some of you would know, got sh!tter and sh!tter in 2014. Now it takes 15-18 months to process my application on nomination only.

- After 8 months into 2014, he wanted to withdraw my AINP application and re-apply to CEC stream, taking my wife as a depedant. :eek: My work permit expires 4 months after then.

- In my CEC application, I took the IELTs test and got positive results by the end of August. Sent all required documents in early September to his law firm.

- After 1 month of delay, no filing my CEC application yet. My work permit expires 3 months after then. I complained to my company's HR department and the lawyer finally mailed my CEC application to CIC.

- in my CEC application, his paralegal wrote my CLIEND ID wrong and my IELTs score wrong on his law firm's letterhead accompanying the application. Unfortunately I didn't have the energy to pick up these errors after I found in the forms they wrote my address wrong and my wife's past work location wrong.

- I found that I can extend my work permit to 2016 because my wife has a work permit expires in 2016. He had copies of our work permits all these time; I had to tell him that extending my WP through my wife's WP IS AN OPTION.

- I sent all required documents to extend my work permit in the beginning of October to his law firm; my work permit expires 2 months after then.

- My work permit expires 1 months from now (November), today, when I ask for the updates on my extension, HE HAS NOT APPLIED TO EXTEND MY WORK PERMIT.

- Throughout this 1.5 year he asked me to re-do mine and my wifes police certificates 3 times, coz for each delay in submitting my application, it leads the expiration of validaty of my original police certificates.

WOW

Comments?

canadacec123

Feb 10, 2014
Toronto - Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 20, 2013
AOR Received.
February 11, 2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with application.
Med's Request
August 28, 2014
Med's Done....
September 05, 2014
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
November 04, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
November 19, 2014
LANDED..........
November 25, 2014
nuke noodles said:
I am working in Alberta for 2 years now and my employer is supporting me to apply to PR through an immigration lawyer (representative). The company covers the cost (at least $11,000 of legal fee) 8) Yeah!! I took it because it's free and it sounded reassuring to have a professional immigration representative looking after my case, BUT then these are what happened:

- My first contact by that lawyer was about 1.5 years ago, back then he wanted me to apply through Alberta's provincial nominee program (the AINP), taking my wife (international worker has work permit until 2016) as a depedant. While I am working as an engineer which qualify me through CEC stream, my work permit expires 1.5 years after then.

- I filled out my AINP application forms by August 2013, but he wanted all supporting documents from me and my wife (such as police certificates, birth cerificates and ...) which are NOT REQUIRED to obtain my AINP approval.

- After about 0.5 years of delay, he submitted my AINP application. My work permit expires 1 years after then.

- The AINP program, as some of you would know, got sh!tter and sh!tter in 2014. Now it takes 15-18 months to process my application on nomination only.

- After 8 months into 2014, he wanted to withdraw my AINP application and re-apply to CEC stream, taking my wife as a depedant. :eek: My work permit expires 4 months after then.

- In my CEC application, I took the IELTs test and got positive results by the end of August. Sent all required documents in early September to his law firm.

- After 1 month of delay, no filing my CEC application yet. My work permit expires 3 months after then. I complained to my company's HR department and the lawyer finally mailed my CEC application to CIC.

- in my CEC application, his paralegal wrote my CLIEND ID wrong and my IELTs score wrong on his law firm's letterhead accompanying the application. Unfortunately I didn't have the energy to pick up these errors after I found in the forms they wrote my address wrong and my wife's past work location wrong.

- I found that I can extend my work permit to 2016 because my wife has a work permit expires in 2016. He had copies of our work permits all these time; I had to tell him that extending my WP through my wife's WP IS AN OPTION.

- I sent all required documents to extend my work permit in the beginning of October to his law firm; my work permit expires 2 months after then.

- My work permit expires 1 months from now (November), today, when I ask for the updates on my extension, HE HAS NOT APPLIED TO EXTEND MY WORK PERMIT.

- Throughout this 1.5 year he asked me to re-do mine and my wifes police certificates 3 times, coz for each delay in submitting my application, it leads the expiration of validaty of my original police certificates.

WOW

Comments?
What do you think? It's a good lawyer. If yes, what's wrong with you? If I am paying to the lawyer, I expect him to be perfect and do zero mistake in filling.

i m_patel

Star Member
Aug 11, 2014
dude...you would have kicked his ass right after his first mistake...u kept giving him your work and he kept screwing up...still its not too late...do your immigration files yourself..u dont need lawyer until your case is complicated.... not this kind of lawyer in any case!!!!!!!!!!!!

follow this forum and you should be fine...seniors here are way better than lawyers...

thanks

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
nuke noodles said:

WOW

Comments?
11 Grand :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WOhhhhhhhhhhhh .

What he did ? He did nothing .Still subject line says "Did i get a bad Lawyer" ? You got to be kidding me.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
@Gurindar: Couldn't have said it better!

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
nuke noodles said:

WOW

Comments?
You mentioned that you are an engineer right? I am sorry but CEC is very simple stream based on pass and fail requirments. If you read the document checklist just once I bet you will able to do it yourself without any problem. Just read the checklist once

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Should have applied by yourself - would've been easier and all the questions you might have could've been answered on here or from CIC's official site.

Unless you're in some sort of legal trouble OR your English ability isn't strong - a lawyer or immigration consultant isn't necessary at all.

The_Dark_Knight

Star Member
Sep 5, 2014
After reading through your ordeal, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that your lawyer is at fault.

I wonder how your firm agreed to pay $11K to such a useless fellow who did no good for your case.

I would advise you to get rid of him asap & look for a new one if possible.

Alternatley, as others suggested you can file by yourself.

In either case, i would urge you to file quickly, since not much time is left till 31 Dec 2014, post which Express Entry program takes over.

All the best !

ip000073

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
I have payed $3000 to my lawyer and it took to him about 3 months to submit my CEC application and 1.5 months to submit BOWP application. I was really pissed off how slow he is... It turns out that I know nothing about "slowness".

sandeepxyz

Nov 11, 2014
You cannot disclose the name or identity of this lawyer because it may count as defamation. You can however file a complaint with the bar association that he is member of. No point complaining to the ICCRC because their complaint system is designed to protect members.

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
Hi

Think everyone missed the point that his company paid for the lawyer, this is common practice and this happened in my case where the company offers immigration support.

See the comment below:-

“my employer is supporting me to apply to PR through an immigration lawyer (representative). The company covers the cost (at least $11,000 of legal fee)”

I do not blame him for taking the option, why wouldn’t you take it if it was free?

From my experience with a very reputable lawyer in Toronto, the cost was less than $4k and including a complex application (worked in multiple countries, dependents in other countries etc) the entire process (application to COPR) was 10 months.

If this lawyer is a registered immigration consultant there are avenues to pursue whereby they are reported. In many cases the work is handed to a junior team member and only reviewed by the senior lawyer.

Less focus on the cost or pointing out his errors for using a lawyer and offer advice please.

Thx

A

sandeepxyz

Nov 11, 2014
Dr_Midnite said:
Hi

Think everyone missed the point that his company paid for the lawyer
I noticed before posting my reply. The service is never free, the company will adjust the cost somehow (raise/salary/promotion etc.). Even if it was free, the applicant paid a price due to the delays and errors made by the lawyer.

The lawyer should be reported regardless but you are right in saying that the OP should focus on fixing the damage first.

b.h.a.b.e.s

Star Member
Mar 27, 2010
i m_patel said:
dude...you would have kicked his ass right after his first mistake...u kept giving him your work and he kept screwing up...still its not too late...do your immigration files yourself..u dont need lawyer until your case is complicated.... not this kind of lawyer in any case!!!!!!!!!!!!

follow this forum and you should be fine...seniors here are way better than lawyers...

thanks
100% true