+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Detroit TRV: How long they take to response?

nightrain

May 20, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2014
Doc's Request.
16-11-2015 (Police certificate)
AOR Received.
09-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
29-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
Passport Req..
05-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2016
LANDED..........
18-01-2016
My TRV application (with return envelop) was received by the Detroit Consulate on April 25th. I'm living in Canada but from a country that requires 10days mandatory waiting + 10working days processing time (it was 7working days according to the website when I applied and now it is showing "30 days" due to "a new computer system being installed in all U.S. offices", see 'Americas' section at the bottom: cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp). As of today (May 20) exactly 20 working days passed. But I need my passport right now for a conference in the US. If I knew that they are going to install "new computer system" that would turn 7days into 30days, I would have never applied before my trip to the US as I can reentry Canada with my study permit. Requesting to return the passport, I have emailed them 4 times (using both cicemail and regular email address) and faxed twice throughout the passing week. Did not hear back. Now I am so frustrated and regretting... in front of computer, hitting the tracking number of return envelop every minute... cannot decide whether or to when I should reschedule my flight or should I give up the hope to attend the biggest event of my academic life?

Any experience how long they take to response? Is their any emergency procedure to break their silence to withdraw the passport? Any chance of miracle to happen?

ssamjos

Star Member
May 20, 2011
nightrain said:
My TRV application (with return envelop) was received by the Detroit Consulate on April 25th. I'm living in Canada but from a country that requires 10days mandatory waiting + 10working days processing time (it was 7working days according to the website when I applied and now it is showing "30 days" due to "a new computer system being installed in all U.S. offices", see 'Americas' section at the bottom: cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp). As of today (May 20) exactly 20 working days passed. But I need my passport right now for a conference in the US. If I knew that they are going to install "new computer system" that would turn 7days into 30days, I would have never applied before my trip to the US as I can reentry Canada with my study permit. Requesting to return the passport, I have emailed them 4 times (using both cicemail and regular email address) and faxed twice throughout the passing week. Did not hear back. Now I am so frustrated and regretting... in front of computer, hitting the tracking number of return envelop every minute... cannot decide whether or to when I should reschedule my flight or should I give up the hope to attend the biggest event of my academic life?

Any experience how long they take to response? Is their any emergency procedure to break their silence to withdraw the passport? Any chance of miracle to happen?
I am absolutely unsure I am in the same situation. I just want to get my passport back. Is there any use of going to the consulate. Please help.

ssamjos

Star Member
May 20, 2011
Hello nightrain

By tracking number you mean the tracking number of return envelope. I did not include the envelope it as nowhere it was mentioned. I have transit flight from Toronto. Do you think I should fax them? I already sent them an email and they gave the standard reply. My package reached May 05 2011 and I have flight on June 08. PLEASE HELP. Office is detroit. Will going there pay off anything. I just want the passport back

Thanks,

alaachemistry

May 18, 2011
Hi,
After 52 days, the consulate at Buffalo told me my passport is ready and they will send it next week
Good luck for everybody and thanks for your help

nightrain

May 20, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2014
Doc's Request.
16-11-2015 (Police certificate)
AOR Received.
09-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
29-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
Passport Req..
05-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2016
LANDED..........
18-01-2016
ssamjos said:
Hello nightrain

By tracking number you mean the tracking number of return envelope. I did not include the envelope it as nowhere it was mentioned. I have transit flight from Toronto. Do you think I should fax them? I already sent them an email and they gave the standard reply. My package reached May 05 2011 and I have flight on June 08. PLEASE HELP. Office is detroit. Will going there pay off anything. I just want the passport back

Thanks,
Hi ssamjos, Yes, I mean the tracking number of return envelop. I paid in advance and enclosed it with my application pack as it was suggested in the website if I want to get it fast. I don't know why it was not mentioned in your case. May be your processing is different. I am living in Canada and my TRV is a kind of extension of my prior visa. You can fax them asking if you need to send a return envelop to get it faster. Good luck ssamjos.

Finally, my tracking number says that my package has been picked up in Detroit today and now on the way to home. I don't know if it contains my passport with stamped visa in it or just the passport. Will update as soon as I get it in hand.

ssamjos

Star Member
May 20, 2011
Thanks guys for your advice. Please keep us posted and I will keep you posted on my developments too..

gjy103190

Apr 25, 2011
I am on the same boat. I am trying on June 13th. If I can't get my passport back at that time, I can't even board my plane to Seattle. Would you please update me with any other information and whether we can go to Detroit to collect our passports?

Many Thanks!!!

ssamjos

Star Member
May 20, 2011
gjy103190 said:
I am on the same boat. I am trying on June 13th. If I can't get my passport back at that time, I can't even board my plane to Seattle. Would you please update me with any other information and whether we can go to Detroit to collect our passports?

Many Thanks!!!
Sure I will let you know when i receive

gjy103190

Apr 25, 2011
ssamjos said:
Sure I will let you know when i receive
Hey ssamjos,

I got my visa today...:) I hope you can get yours soon..

BTW I have two friends applying for visa with me , however they haven't got their visa back. Especially one of them, it seems that he filled out his passport NO. wrong on the application form. I wonder what he could do about it.

Thanks!

ssamjos

Star Member
May 20, 2011
gjy103190 said:
Hey ssamjos,

I got my visa today...:) I hope you can get yours soon..

BTW I have two friends applying for visa with me , however they haven't got their visa back. Especially one of them, it seems that he filled out his passport NO. wrong on the application form. I wonder what he could do about it.

Thanks!
Hello gjy103190

How did you get your passport back after the VISA. Did you send them any envelope to return your passport and how did you know that you got the VISA? Did they email you?

I am really worried. Thanks a lot for updating me. Great help.

Regards,

gjy103190

Apr 25, 2011
ssamjos said:
Hello gjy103190

How did you get your passport back after the VISA. Did you send them any envelope to return your passport and how did you know that you got the VISA? Did they email you?

I am really worried. Thanks a lot for updating me. Great help.

Regards,
I send them Express Envelope and it arrived this morning.. Two other people who sent out their application the same day as I did didn't get theirs. We are still worried as well. I think for me it's partly because I went to canada ten years ago. I think that helps my application a lot. I will let you know once both my friends got their visa back.

Good luck!

ssamjos

Star Member
May 20, 2011
gjy103190 said:
I send them Express Envelope and it arrived this morning.. Two other people who sent out their application the same day as I did didn't get theirs. We are still worried as well. I think for me it's partly because I went to canada ten years ago. I think that helps my application a lot. I will let you know once both my friends got their visa back.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for letting me know this. Appreciate your help.

snoor

Jun 22, 2011
@night train : you got your visa till yet my application reached there on 8th of april .. and even I didnot get my passport back till yet ..