+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Detroit is slow.

nb12345

May 17, 2011
I guess many people have experienced a delay in receiving their passports back from the Consulate. My passport reached the Consulate on April 28 and I have a flight to Toronto on May 26. I thought this was sufficient time even after accounting for delays. I don't see the passport coming on time. The Consulate had replied to my first email saying that processing has been slow due to the computer upgrade and that they are doing everything they can to get the passports out soon. I thought of driving to Detroit but by reading what people have had to say, I don't think they will let me in.

Today, the Canadian Consulate updated their website saying that they are closing their Buffalo office in June for a week as mail-in applications have created a record backlog. Keeping this in mind, I don't see my passport arriving before May 26. Fingers crossed otherwise I will have to bear the fees of the over-priced American based airlines date change fee.

visa2011

May 16, 2011
Hi nb12345

this new message that you mention(closing for walk in application for backward delay),it is only fro buffalo or it works for other offices such as detroit?

nb12345

May 17, 2011
visa2011 said:
Hi nb12345

this new message that you mention(closing for walk in application for backward delay),it is only fro buffalo or it works for other offices such as detroit?
The website says that only the Buffalo office will be closed.

nb12345

May 17, 2011
I received an email today from the Consulate Office that my application process is complete and will be mailed out today via priority mail. They also advised me not to visit the Consulate to collect my passport.

nb12345

May 17, 2011
I also received a call from the Detroit Consulate saying that they are definitely mailing my passport today. The woman on the phone was very sweet and this news definitely made my day! Wooo!

ssamjos

Star Member
May 20, 2011
nb12345 said:
No.
I didn't need to wait.
My passport reached the DETROIT Consulate on May 05 2011 and I have applied for a transit VISA. My flight via Toronto is on June 08. As per your application it seems that it takes roughly over 3 weeks to get the approved back. Did you pursue them by email or fax or did you visit the consulate. Please let me know. PLEASE HELP

gjy103190

Apr 25, 2011
ssamjos said:
My passport reached the DETROIT Consulate on May 05 2011 and I have applied for a transit VISA. My flight via Toronto is on June 08. As per your application it seems that it takes roughly over 3 weeks to get the approved back. Did you pursue them by email or fax or did you visit the consulate. Please let me know. PLEASE HELP
Hi ssamjos,

I also mailed out my application on May 05 2011. and my travel date is june 13th. Would you please let me know when you receive your passport? I am really worried if I can get back my passport on time.

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ssamjos said:
Well their processing time show as 30 days on the web site. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp#west

thriftily.trendy

May 18, 2011
nb12345 said:
I guess many people have experienced a delay in receiving their passports back from the Consulate. My passport reached the Consulate on April 28 and I have a flight to Toronto on May 26. I thought this was sufficient time even after accounting for delays. I don't see the passport coming on time. The Consulate had replied to my first email saying that processing has been slow due to the computer upgrade and that they are doing everything they can to get the passports out soon. I thought of driving to Detroit but by reading what people have had to say, I don't think they will let me in.

Today, the Canadian Consulate updated their website saying that they are closing their Buffalo office in June for a week as mail-in applications have created a record backlog. Keeping this in mind, I don't see my passport arriving before May 26. Fingers crossed otherwise I will have to bear the fees of the over-priced American based airlines date change fee.
hi there! can you please post a link to the advisory on their website? i'm having a hard time looking for it and I'm worried cause i sent my application to the office in Buffalo and it's already way past normal processing times and i still have no updates on my application

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp#west

[*] Notice: Due to a new computer system being installed in all U.S. offices, applications are taking longer than usual to process. You should apply at least three months before you plan to travel.

Detroit:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/detroit/imm/visiting_can_visiter.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=54

thriftily.trendy said:
hi there! can you please post a link to the advisory on their website? i'm having a hard time looking for it and I'm worried cause i sent my application to the office in Buffalo and it's already way past normal processing times and i still have no updates on my application

thriftily.trendy

May 18, 2011
job_seeker said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp#west

[*] Notice: Due to a new computer system being installed in all U.S. offices, applications are taking longer than usual to process. You should apply at least three months before you plan to travel.

Detroit:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/detroit/imm/visiting_can_visiter.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=54
thank you so much for the link. :)

by the way, job seeker, if there's something wrong with an application, will they contact you by phone or at least by email about it before sending it back to you?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
No. They will approve or refuse depending on the documents they have.

thriftily.trendy said:
thank you so much for the link. :)

by the way, job seeker, if there's something wrong with an application, will they contact you by phone or at least by email about it before sending it back to you?

KG1019

Aug 12, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am a student who is to graduate in december. I am in serious search for jobs. One of the very good positions is in Canada. I would like to schedule the interview date for it ASAP. So, I would like to get my VISA as well soon. I am in a dilemma as to whether I should apply in-person or mail? I live in Florida, so none of the embassies are nearby in order to apply in-person. I have to fly to Buffalo, NYC, Washington DC, or Detroit.

I have been following this forum for the past 2 weeks. It seems like applying in person is highly recommended. Buffalo office seems to be swamped. Applying to Buffalo in-person or mail does not seem to be a valid option. So, I chose Detroit. In-person application is highly risky for me. Because I have to give my employer an interview date. If I dont get my VISA within that date, then it will not be good. But, with mail, the time process can be much longer - probably even months.

So, did anyone have any recent experience with Detroit embassy - either in-person or mail application? Can you please give me an idea of approximate processing times? This would really help me make a good decision.

Advice or tips of any sort will be greatly appreciated!