+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Destination City for Landing

shahid_razzak

Apr 20, 2017
Dear All,

I have received my COPR with city of destination mentioned as Ottawa. I was wondering if it is mandatory for me to arrive in Ottawa only or can I land in Toronto as well. Though it will not make a difference to me but I reckon Toronto might be a more desired place of arrival for me.

Any help in this context shall be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Shahid

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Landing city within the same Province makes no difference at all.

Landing in a city in a different Province would only make a difference if (1) One of those Provinces was Quebec (eg being sponsored by QC & landing elsewhere, or not receiving QC selection & landing there), or (2) You had been sponsored by a Province, and tried to land elsewhere with no evidence of forward travel (eg being sponsored by Manitoba, landing in Toronto with no onward ticket or travel plans).

If you wrote that you planned to land in Ottawa (Ontario), and you will actually be landing in Toronto (Ontario), there is no problem at all.

Reactions: sharedknowledge

rv29

Mar 31, 2017
@spousalsponsee : Hi, I have also received my COPR with the landing city as Vancouver. I am assuming that it might not make an issue if I land in Toronto and apply for the PR card there. Can you please guide?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
@spousalsponsee : Hi, I have also received my COPR with the landing city as Vancouver. I am assuming that it might not make an issue if I land in Toronto and apply for the PR card there. Can you please guide?
It depends on your immigration route.

If you're immigrating through a Federal economic stream (eg, Federal Skilled Worker, Canadian Experience Class), where location is irrelevant, they won't bat an eyelid.

If you were nominated through the BC Provincial Nomination Program, or if you were sponsored by a spouse who lives in Vancouver, they're going to ask questions about the legitimacy of your application.

It depends if location was a factor in your immigration.

shahid_razzak

Apr 20, 2017
Landing city within the same Province makes no difference at all.

Landing in a city in a different Province would only make a difference if (1) One of those Provinces was Quebec (eg being sponsored by QC & landing elsewhere, or not receiving QC selection & landing there), or (2) You had been sponsored by a Province, and tried to land elsewhere with no evidence of forward travel (eg being sponsored by Manitoba, landing in Toronto with no onward ticket or travel plans).

If you wrote that you planned to land in Ottawa (Ontario), and you will actually be landing in Toronto (Ontario), there is no problem at all.
Thank you for your detailed response. It definitely puts my mind at ease.

Best Regards,
Shahid