Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
In Latim America I agree with you. Bureaucracts there show a certain glee making life more difficult. But in Canada I suspect it has more to do with job creation -- for buteaucrats, of course.

Anyway, end of this thread?

CHeers,

TOby

inaina

Nov 3, 2009
Thank you very much everyone for the responses. I appreciate your time and effort. I can't say that I already know what to do, but at least a have a better view of this now.

One thing doesn't make sense at all. Everyone knows, that you're not supposed to get married if you're not 100% ready and if it's not the right time yet. Because if you do, then it's called a marriage of convenience, right? But I get the impression that Canadian immigration system encourages (and in a way even forces) this kind of marriages. Let's say a couple wants to do this conjugal partnership thing, because they know they want to be together and they're serious about each other. But they don't want to get married right now, because the person that's immigrating cannot work, so they're short of money and cannot have the kind of wedding that they would like to have, so it's just not the right time. And what happens then is they get asked by immigration people why they're not married yet and their application gets denied. Because officially there's nothing that's "stopping" them from getting married. It's so wrong...

I knew I wanted to marry my Canadian boyfriend since the very beginning of our relationship and this for sure will happen sooner or later, unless this immigration mess tears us apart. But it just doesn't feel right to rush like this. And of course if we get married now our marriage will be a marriage of convenience, because I can't sit any longer and waste my time like this, as I can't work, I can't go to school, I can't have a medical insurance and it's just becoming too crazy. Most people say that conjugal partnership is too risky and tricky, so again... Obviously marriage is the only option we have, but even that won't guarantee that I'll get my PR. It's so wrong, but what can you do. I can't just sit and wait until one day we wake up and feel that wow, we're finally 100% ready to get married. But how can you come up with an idea like this when you're not working and have no money for the wedding or your family can't come to your wedding from overseas as you're not able to provide any financial support for their trip, or you're simply too exhausted from not being able to work and having your life on hold.

Ok, I'm done with feeling sorry for myself (and everyone else who's in a similar situation), thank you for listening and even more important - thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. That was very helpful, so thank you a lot. And in case there's anything else that crosses your mind, please let me know.

kittty

Oct 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Inaina, I know it's so frustrating, people don't realise how difficult it can be to be in an international relationship. I am from Canada, my husband is from Ireland. We are currently now living in Ireland. We met in 2001, decided we wanted to get married within the first few months, and did so 2 years after we met. We got married in a reg office with no guests, no cake, no honeymoon, no family from Canada, nothing but eachother and a witness each. Lucky for us the whole idea of a "wedding" wasn't that important to us, we were just happy to be together, so it didn't matter so much that we couldn't afford it. But if it's important to you then you shouldn't deprive yourself of that.
We have now been married 6 years. Believe me, being married is not an automatic end to your problems. I have essentially been away from all of my family and friends for the better part of 8 years, and on top of that after 9 month stay in Canada my husband could not work so we decided to move back to Ireland so we could both work. But guess what? It turned out because of a mix up I couldn't work here for a year! Being married did not automatically guarantee an easy ride is all I'm saying, so don't make the desicion on that basis.
Sure it might help. MIGHT help. Is it worth it to take the risk? That's up to you. But like I said before you need to realise you need to be patient and make sacrifices. You're tired of your life being on hold, but there is no way around that, you can't work or you will have to return home and be separated from your boyfriend. All of our lives are on hold, and have been on hold and will continue to be on hold. We just gotta deal with it.
The point of all that is- Do whatever feels right. If it feels wrong, don't do it, and certainly don't do it because you think it will be easier. If you really care for him you should have no problem proving that no matter what your situation. No matter what, you're going to have to wait and you're just going to have to accept that.