+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DEPRESSION SETTING IN - HELP - INDIAN - SENIORS - HELPPPPP!!!

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
try it. good luck to you.

We have tried Toronto, ON, Calgary/Edmonton,AL, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Vancouver, BC and some other.

And still looking for a job. :-[

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo transferred to ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
I am giving myself 2015, if I get the green card by year end....I will stay
Or else, I am packing my bags to India.....of course with a job lined up in mumbai....
Mumbai seems to be a good place for finance jobs.....hopefully I get one....
Unless something magical happens and I get a job in Canada.
I hope David u get a job in Canada.......and all other people....

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
david1697 said:
Mostly sent to Ontario. But not only Ontario.

Lately I put Canadian (Toronto, ON) mailing address on resumes, and callback shouldn't be problem because I am in US. US-Canada network is such that most carriers cover both territories for free - for example, you can use Google VOIP and call from/to US/Canada absolutely free; besides, the sequence of numbers dialed is the same for both countries. In US someone seeing your number on resume wouldn't even know you were in Canada, they would think you have an area code from another state in US. We have lots of people in California with New york area codes , and vice versa (people move across states, but keep their mobile carrier phone numbers).

I don't know why the labor market is being over saturated, may be because no body really cares. But in case it's done for a reason, I can't think of any reason other than bringing the cost of the labor down. We have the same or similar process going on in US.

I also think as long as the percentage of unemployed/underemployed is kept within certain range those who are affected can be marginalized, so it doesn't even seem to be a problem while profitability is increased (in essence, those who are employed are still super-majority and can always tell that it's our fault we can't get a job, since they could).
I know about the telephone number codes and how they work, I visit the US often. Canada isn't the US. Most people here will still have only local calling options (although I'm assuming businesses at least have Canada-wide calling) - it costs a bit more to have Canada-wide calling, and even more to have Canada+US calling activated. Sorry but in Canada, most carriers DO NOT cover entire US-Canada calling for 'free' - every bit is tiered in most plans and costs extra in cases (local, provincial, Canada-wide, US/Canada inclusive). When a job is say located in downtown Toronto, there is only a handful set of area codes the HR person will be making a callback to - with 647 and 416 being the primary ones. It also depends company to company, I met with a recruiter from a top Canadian bank, and she said that for working in downtown Vancouver we even filter the candidates down to those living within the city of Vancouver limites (meaning if you have an address in Surrey or Coquitlam, you're filtered out already).

I'm telling you the local number scenario this from personal experience, my sister went to Toronto to try and she wasn't getting any calls when she had a Vancouver number put on her resume. When she put in a Toronto number, she received a few calls shortly after. An immigrant settlement organization employee told her that they're never going to call a number that isn't local. In Canada, anyone seeing a non-Canada (or non-province, non-local to the job) number on your resume will know its a non-Canada number. When they see a non-Canada (or non-province) number, they assume (or know) that you aren't really inside the country and won't be available for an interview soon. So there goes your resume. The hiring manager, or the recruiter, will put their convenience above all else. So get an Ontario sim (a cheap one, such as Wind or Chat-r would do), put it on a dumb phone, charge $5 extra to cover roaming, and keep it on with you. This is just a suggestion as some employers use email to contact and follow-up. Or try getting a virtual number that forwards the call to your US number.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/random-stuff-informer/2013/02/14/toronto-area-code-stereotypes-guide/

Well I guess the governments, public agencies and stakeholders make good money out of the immigration procedure. And then they don't have to pay-out in benefits for a good number of months (or a year in most instances). It works well to drive down the labour costs as well.

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
@ AAshay I am in the same shoes, waiting on my EB2 GC! I am from Bombay,but I don't think I could return to India after 15 plus here. The job market in Canada is dismal, even with 10 plus years of US experience.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
david1697 said:
rhcohen2014,

#3. What effort should I put there? What exactly is an 'effort'? Please share your valuable advise, if you have any.
What exactly should we do to get an interview for a job?
here's some ideas:

send out targeted letters to specific people in the industry you wish to get a job in. not asking for a job, rather an introduction and an invitation to an informational interview.
find out who the hiring managers are for specific jobs posted online (can be done by company website/annual report, linkedin, calling and asking, etc) and send them a personalized application for the role
cold call companies and find out who hiring managers are and if they would review your resume
read articles by liz ryan of "the human workplace" and brush up on jobsearching techniques that can work.
become involved on linkedin groups, even writing articles about industry specific topics to get "seen"
david1697 said:
#4. FYI, I apply to BOTH entry level and mid level jobs (and so does my spouse) , and no one replies with anything other than canned 'don't bother us again, We will let you know if we need you.'
are you adjusting your education and experience to FIT entry level jobs? sending a resume full of advanced education and experience is hardly going to be seen as a viable candidate for an entry level job. a) the applicant tracking system can be programmed to automatically rule you out b)the person first reading resumes (usually not a hiring manager) may see you as competition and edge you out of the pile of "yes" resumes to send to their manager and/or c) you will be seen as "too expensive" and "over qualified". Not everything that is on your resume is relavant to each job, so it's important to brand yourself correctly for the role you are applying to.

david1697 said:
#5. Lately, I put Canadian (Toronto, ON) mailing address on my resumes. My spouse was doing it all along!
As far as 'machines' are concerned, we are Canadians, looking for a job in Canada.
What else do we have to do to get a call from human to an interview?
see list above or learn how to "fool" applicant tracking systems. most online applications start from algrythms to weed out people based on keywords, whether they are qualified or not!
read something by Laszlo Bock of Google. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140929001534-24454816-my-personal-formula-for-a-better-resume?trk=mp-author-card

there are plenty of jobs in canada. the population in canada is miniscule compared to the us, so not as many resumes are being received for every application.

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
After a decade long career in the US, no one in their right minds is going to apply for a entry level job in Canada!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
realtexdex said:
After a decade long career in the US, no one in their right minds is going to apply for a entry level job in Canada!
then stay in the us. good luck finding a job in canada from outside of canada. a candidate needs to certainly stand out in a pile of applicants in order for an employer to take the time and effort to recruit someone outside of canada. unless a person has a specific skill a company can't live without or are in sales, then they are not going to find their FIRST job equal to where they were when they left their country, and it's certainly going to take time. i have yet to hear of an immigrant who has done so. if there is someone out there who doesn't have a very specialized skill, license or is in sales and did get a job at the same salary/title after immigrating, please do let me know and share the experience... also, kindly share how long it took to accomplish this.

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
There isn't any experience better than a decent US education and US work experience; it's almost like the employers are insecure of US candidates; I work in a specialized field in high demand in the US and Canada; it's way easier to get a similar job in Australia

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
realtexdex said:
There isn't any experience better than a decent US education and US work experience; it's almost like the employers are insecure of US candidates; I work in a specialized field in high demand in the US and Canada; it's way easier to get a similar job in Australia
i'm pretty sure CANADIAN employers would not agree. why would they hold experience and education from another country higher than that of their own country? this is exactly the arrogant mentality Canadians hate about Americans. Everyone thinks they are the best of the best simply because they work or are educated in the US, when in reality they are only a dime a dozen. it's this type of mentality that will keep you out of the canadian job market, since you know, it's the CANADIAN employer who is reading your resume and hiring you. perhaps changing perspective and being educated on what CANADIAN employers want will yield greater success. i can pretty much guarantee Canadian employers are not looking for applicants with ONLY US (or foreign) education and experience with no connection to Canada besides an address and phone number at the top of the resume. If an employer had 2 resumes in their hand, and there was nothing different about the skills, education and experience except for the fact 1 worked and went to school in Canada and the other was from the us, which one do you think will get the call for the interview?

of course getting a job is going to be easier where you are from. you've spent your life defining an identity and network of opportunities/people. when you move to a new country, that doesn't necessarily come with you. most, if not all, newcomers are starting from 0.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
realtexdex said:
Dream on..hahahaha..

Educated? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cey35bBWXls&list=RDR5I4oY7zj-w&index=2

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
polara69 said:
Dream on..hahahaha..

Educated? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cey35bBWXls&list=RDR5I4oY7zj-w&index=2
This is just reality TV. And like anything onscreen, could just be staged for laughs for all we know? What does it prove, if anything?

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
Anyways I didn't intend to start a cat fight; thought I was stating the obvious; US education experience and certification is preferred all over the world! Like I said its super easy to land a job in Australia; all the employers thus far in Canada haven't even so much as sent a canned rejection mail; I mean seriously who wants to get paid less and lose more in taxes; honestly it's just a backup like it is to most folks waiting in the U for. Green card!

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jazibkg said:
I know about the telephone number codes and how they work, I visit the US often. Canada isn't the US. Most people here will still have only local calling options (although I'm assuming businesses at least have Canada-wide calling) - it costs a bit more to have Canada-wide calling, and even more to have Canada+US calling activated. Sorry but in Canada, most carriers DO NOT cover entire US-Canada calling for 'free' - every bit is tiered in most plans and costs extra in cases (local, provincial, Canada-wide, US/Canada inclusive). When a job is say located in downtown Toronto, there is only a handful set of area codes the HR person will be making a callback to - with 647 and 416 being the primary ones. It also depends company to company, I met with a recruiter from a top Canadian bank, and she said that for working in downtown Vancouver we even filter the candidates down to those living within the city of Vancouver limites (meaning if you have an address in Surrey or Coquitlam, you're filtered out already).

I'm telling you the local number scenario this from personal experience, my sister went to Toronto to try and she wasn't getting any calls when she had a Vancouver number put on her resume. When she put in a Toronto number, she received a few calls shortly after. An immigrant settlement organization employee told her that they're never going to call a number that isn't local. In Canada, anyone seeing a non-Canada (or non-province, non-local to the job) number on your resume will know its a non-Canada number. When they see a non-Canada (or non-province) number, they assume (or know) that you aren't really inside the country and won't be available for an interview soon. So there goes your resume. The hiring manager, or the recruiter, will put their convenience above all else. So get an Ontario sim (a cheap one, such as Wind or Chat-r would do), put it on a dumb phone, charge $5 extra to cover roaming, and keep it on with you. This is just a suggestion as some employers use email to contact and follow-up. Or try getting a virtual number that forwards the call to your US number.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/random-stuff-informer/2013/02/14/toronto-area-code-stereotypes-guide/

Well I guess the governments, public agencies and stakeholders make good money out of the immigration procedure. And then they don't have to pay-out in benefits for a good number of months (or a year in most instances). It works well to drive down the labour costs as well.
It's a good advise , about phone area code.
But that implicitly means I must limit myself in job search to immediate vicinity of the phone area code.
Even if I moved tomorrow to let's say Winnipeg, Manitoba, my searches would only be as good as the Winnipeg is concerned. This contradicts earlier advise by other members to widen the search area. Or at least makes it impossible. How am I supposed to at the same time throw a wide net yet be limited to an area code of my phone on the resume? Or should I open phone lines all over Canada, with every city I want to apply for a job in?

I will get a Canada phone line, just to see if it makes any difference, but as you see if true it only means that any search outside of that specific area code will be futile.

In regards to labor costs, I found an article online which pretty much sums up what we have going on.
It's the same for US as it is for Canada.(Not exactly the same in terms of specifics, such as specific companies and types of jobs involved in downsizing, but the same in a sense that on a big picture scale the same mechanism and rationale are at work).

================================================

Reliance of Corporations center on MBA's from the best business schools. Gone is the respect for knowledge gained by those who have worked for companies for decades, and understand what made their companies successful.

January 09
17:45 2015

It is very likely that the unemployment rate, which dropped to 5.6 percent today, will rise in 2015. We heard today that both Macy's and J.C. Penney will be closing stores this year. Many other major corporations are considering downsizing or eliminating service and goods in areas which are not profitable. There are multiple reasons for their decisions; some have credence, but some appear to be decisions regarding profits of the CEO's and Board of Directors. Is this oversaturation or simply corporate greed?

It was predictable that retail stores across the United States would be closing their doors. Online purchases are on the rise. The need to ‘shop' for anything can be done more quickly and more efficiently on the internet for many commodities.

Consumable items are seldom included in the changes of our nation's purchasing pattern.

Thursday the soft drink giant Coca Cola announced changes in the way they will operate in 2015. Management will eliminate 1,600 to 1,800 jobs around the world. Upper management will be rewarded by saving nearly three billion dollars.

In all fairness to Coca Cola, it has made attempts to adapt to a changing market. Although the results are questionable given recent studies of obesity in our nation, consumers claim attention towards more health conscious products. The soft drink giant attempted to market a product called ‘Coca Cola Life,' which was low in calories and contained less sugar.

The company failed at virtually 100 percent of their marketing campaigns. The fiscal quarter which ended in September revealed that profits were reduced by 14 percent. Coca Cola reported a mere profit of 2.1 billion dollars for the quarter. That's right, billions.

Coca Cola never considered reducing the price of its biggest sellers. Instead they reduced the size of their cans and bottles and raised the prices. Once again a major corporation demonstrates that greed is more important than the employees who labor for the profits of upper level executives and shareholders.

A few of the major corporations which are considering the elimination of jobs, a form of restructuring, or the entire eradication of some operations are; General Electric, Microsoft, Nordstrom, Hewlett-Packard, Kellogg, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Ford Motor Company, and General Motors. These are only a few of those considering changes to maintain bloated profits.

Working America; those who are paid hourly wages and find it difficult to save money, or who live in fear of a medical crisis which would cost them security and eliminate their present way of life, have many misconceptions about big business.

Americans who work for profitable companies feel that their jobs are secure. That assumption is far from the truth. Major corporations care little about humanity; profits are their only priority. If reducing the workforce is a viable option to increase profitability, they are quick to eliminate jobs.

At the opposite end are small businesses. The expense to train qualified employees makes them less likely to reduce their workforce.

It appears logical that downsizing the number of employees will increase profits. Again, untrue. Historically companies which have reduced their workforce numbers have seen little or no increase in profitability.

Companies frequently claim that downsizing simply removes unnecessary labor, and secures jobs for those who remain. This is a complete fallacy. Remaining employees experience a decrease in morale, and an increased workload with no monetary compensation.

Numerable other facts prove that business practices actually result in less production, and an erosion of quality.

America was at its peak in the 1990's until NAFTA removed many of our better paying jobs.

In the 21st century corporate profits and the profits of shareholders trump concern for the workers who are responsible for the company's success.

Reliance of Corporations center on MBA's from the best business schools. Gone is the respect for knowledge gained by those who have worked for companies for decades, and understand what made their companies successful.

By James Turnage

Op-Ed

Sources:

RT

Workforce.com

USA Today

Photo courtesy of Mike Mozart

James Turnage is currently a writer and editor for The Public Slate, a subsidiary of the Guardian Liberty Voice. He is also a novelist who is in the process of publishing his fourth effort. His responsibilities include Editing, reporting , managing.

http://thepublicslate.com/2015/01/oversaturation-or-corporate-greed/

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
here's some ideas:

there are plenty of jobs in canada. the population in canada is miniscule compared to the us, so not as many resumes are being received for every application.
I have a reason to believe that a ratio of people looking for a job in Canada (wherever I applied for jobs) far outweighs the vacancies.

It is a job market where each position nets disproportionate number of applicants and bureaucratic HR's are making a rocket science out of hiring even an entry level employee, or employees whose tasks involve routine repetition of template procedures that even an elementary school drop out can do. But lo and behold, if you read any job description out there you need at least 3-5 years of experience doing those exact tasks "in Canada", you need some highly sought after 'qualities' and must have a degree from Canadian University, no matter how primitive what you would be hired to do is.

It's all one big BS, obviously so, it's just going to take decades before it's obvious to greater number of public, enough to change the economic policies and get back to what actually worked in past, instead of this destructive Milton school of economics.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
rhcohen2014 said:
i'm pretty sure CANADIAN employers would not agree. why would they hold experience and education from another country higher than that of their own country? this is exactly the arrogant mentality Canadians hate about Americans. Everyone thinks they are the best of the best simply because they work or are educated in the US, when in reality they are only a dime a dozen. it's this type of mentality that will keep you out of the canadian job market, since you know, it's the CANADIAN employer who is reading your resume and hiring you. perhaps changing perspective and being educated on what CANADIAN employers want will yield greater success. i can pretty much guarantee Canadian employers are not looking for applicants with ONLY US (or foreign) education and experience with no connection to Canada besides an address and phone number at the top of the resume. If an employer had 2 resumes in their hand, and there was nothing different about the skills, education and experience except for the fact 1 worked and went to school in Canada and the other was from the us, which one do you think will get the call for the interview?

of course getting a job is going to be easier where you are from. you've spent your life defining an identity and network of opportunities/people. when you move to a new country, that doesn't necessarily come with you. most, if not all, newcomers are starting from 0.
Then what is the point of Canada having programs like the FSW, etc. They advertise saying there's a huge dearth of professionals in certain skills and professions, and so they want people to immigrate and fill those vacancies. And apparently, corporate Canada does not agree with Canadian immigration, that overseas talent is required. So, are immigrant professionals being invited to Canada to flip burgers? Are we being taken for a ride by Canadian immigration and authorities?