+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deported from US - Any way to move to Canada?

madmexie

Jul 28, 2013
Hello,

I moved to the US when I was 13 with my mother and sister and that side of my family after my parents got devorced. My mother was working hard doing any jobs she could get until she found her new husband and we finally got papers. I was young and stupid and thought I'd help her if I make my own money so I got into the wrong crowd and started selling drugs. When I was 19 I was arrested with transportation of Marijuana for which I got 6 months of work release. Then I stayed away but eventually got dragged back into the same group and when I was 23, in 2008 I got arrested with Sales of MDMA and got one year. I was 6 months away from getting my US citizenship and ruined my life. After going to jail, they put an immigration hold on me and turned out that my case was an aggravated felony. Automatic deportation for life from the states. I'm from Europe, but my family is in the States and its getting really hard on us. I wish I could change it but I can't so I'm trying to find a way to be closer to my family. Since then I have my own baby girl and wife. I have some family in Canada as well.

My question is that am I in any way allowed to enter Canada at least just to visit? If so what do I need? From my country I do not need a Visa to go to Canada. My other question is that if I have any way of getting residency in Canada a way to clear or exponge my US record? I want to be closer to my family and I have been to Canada couple of times before and wish to move there or at least being able to visit my relatives there and have a family reunion from the States.

I appreciate any responses

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

madmexie said:
Hello,

I moved to the US when I was 13 with my mother and sister and that side of my family after my parents got devorced. My mother was working hard doing any jobs she could get until she found her new husband and we finally got papers. I was young and stupid and thought I'd help her if I make my own money so I got into the wrong crowd and started selling drugs. When I was 19 I was arrested with transportation of Marijuana for which I got 6 months of work release. Then I stayed away but eventually got dragged back into the same group and when I was 23, in 2008 I got arrested with Sales of MDMA and got one year. I was 6 months away from getting my US citizenship and ruined my life. After going to jail, they put an immigration hold on me and turned out that my case was an aggravated felony. Automatic deportation for life from the states. I'm from Europe, but my family is in the States and its getting really hard on us. I wish I could change it but I can't so I'm trying to find a way to be closer to my family. Since then I have my own baby girl and wife. I have some family in Canada as well.

My question is that am I in any way allowed to enter Canada at least just to visit? If so what do I need? From my country I do not need a Visa to go to Canada. My other question is that if I have any way of getting residency in Canada a way to clear or exponge my US record? I want to be closer to my family and I have been to Canada couple of times before and wish to move there or at least being able to visit my relatives there and have a family reunion from the States.

I appreciate any responses
1. Basically you are inadmissible as both a visitor and an immigrant until 5 years have passed since the completion of your sentence.
2. At that time you could apply for rehabilitation for your convictions. If you were found to be rehabilitated you could then enter as a visitor see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp
3. As an Immigrant you would still require rehab. and qualify as an Immigrant. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
madmexie said:
My other question is that if I have any way of getting residency in Canada a way to clear or exponge my US record?
If you are able to become a permanent resident of Canada at some point in the future - this will have zero impact on your situation in the US. If you are banned for life now - you will still be banned for life after you become a PR (or event a citizen) of Canada.

Your other questions have been fully answered by PMM.

madmexie

Jul 28, 2013
Thank you for your quick responses.
Unfortunately I'm aware of my situation with the states. But I'd be more than happy to at least go visit Canada and if able to get PR that would be great.
I have two more questions if you don't mind. PMM said I have to wait 5 years after completion of my sentence. that was in May and but I got transported to INS facility from where I was deported in september. The 5 years would be may or september?
My other question would be about the States if you can tell me anything about it. If I'm able to get something similiar as the rehabilitation there just so I would be able to visit there.
Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The aggravated felony makes your situation in the US very complex since drug convictions are taken extremely seriously there. To the best of my knowledge, your only hope (and it's a slim one) would be to be sponsored by your US spouse (I'm assuming she's American). But even then, it will be an extremely difficult process and you'll need legal advice if you want to have any hope of success.

I would recommend that you take your US questions to the following US immigration forum:

http://immigrate2us.net/forum/forum.php?s=07fd7f25d1799bd7b50f35da9808c071

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
In answer to the question of when the 5 year timer starts... I think it starts when the sentence AND any parole is completed, even if you get early release. I don't believe that the time spent under INS control would be relevant to the criminal aspect.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just re-read your post. It now sounds to me like your wife is not American. If that's the case, I think your chances of being able to re-enter the US at some point in the future are pretty much non-existent. Anyway, visit the web site I gave you above and explain your case there. The experts there will be able to tell you if there's any hope.

madmexie

Jul 28, 2013
Thank you again for all your answers. My wife is not American so as of right now I'm aware of my chances with the states. That's why I'd like to try for Canada if you give me a second chance in life. And to be honest I really enjoyed Canada more than the states when I visited. And it is the closest place to my family.
I appreciate all your help.
Goodbye