+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependents of International Student

mughal1

Aug 18, 2019
Dear All,
I am a new International student pursuing my Ph.D. at a public university. I want to bring my spouse and kids to Canada to stay with me, I have the following questions and will be thankful if someone can help me,
  • My spouse is a housewife with a high school degree (that is equal to 12th standard), should I apply for Open work permit for her or go for a visitor visa for 3 years (equal to the length of my study permit), which one has more chances of success? I am asking this because one of the M.Sc. students got a rejection for his wife's work permit application with reason " there are no job prospects for your spouse".
  • One of my kids is 8 years old, for him can I get study permit once he is here on a visitor visa?
  • Who will be the Principal Applicant in the application(me or my wife) and for my kids do I need to create a separate profile in CIC or they can be combined with their mother?
  • How much financial statement in Canada I have to show for four dependents?
  • Any other tips for a smooth visa application process?

Looking forward to hearing from expert fellows.

With best regards,

5ukh6enipal

Jul 17, 2019
Dear All,
I am a new International student pursuing my Ph.D. at a public university. I want to bring my spouse and kids to Canada to stay with me, I have the following questions and will be thankful if someone can help me,
  • My spouse is a housewife with a high school degree (that is equal to 12th standard), should I apply for Open work permit for her or go for a visitor visa for 3 years (equal to the length of my study permit), which one has more chances of success? I am asking this because one of the M.Sc. students got a rejection for his wife's work permit application with reason " there are no job prospects for your spouse".
  • One of my kids is 8 years old, for him can I get study permit once he is here on a visitor visa?
  • Who will be the Principal Applicant in the application(me or my wife) and for my kids do I need to create a separate profile in CIC or they can be combined with their mother?
  • How much financial statement in Canada I have to show for four dependents?
  • Any other tips for a smooth visa application process?

Looking forward to hearing from expert fellows.

With best regards,
I’m also in a same pool

_briannaashley

Star Member
Jul 8, 2020
Applying for a study permit with your entire family is not a good idea. It’s better to apply one after the other. You first and then your family after.