+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent visa and open work permit for the spouse of temporary foreign worker

bistro85

Nov 30, 2012
Hi i am a temporary worker in alberta as a cook.and my wife is in the philippines.i want her to be here with me.so what will be my first step in getting her an open work permit?

chandreshjiyani

Sep 20, 2016
i have also same situation. I want to bring my wife here in canada from india on my open work permit(1 year). CIC website shows eligibility for application done from canada or other country so for my case which eligibility i need to see and from where i have to apply can some one help me please this is totally new for me.

Jun 16, 2018
Hi,
My wife is going to Canada in intra company transfer work visa and I am having dependent visa. Can I now apply open work permit from indi

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think there is difference between open work permit. We have applied for visitor dependent visa.
There is no dependent visa per se. If your spouse already has a closed work permit you can get an open work permit or you can apply for visitor status and TRV. Instead of the traditional 6 month stay the company lawyer or you can ask for the visitor expiry date to match the work permit expiry date. If you want to work or volunteer you will need an OWP which some people refer to as SOWP.

It will take a few months so as long as your wife has her visa you can apply for yours (or at the same time).

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018
There is no dependent visa per se. If your spouse already has a closed work permit you can get an open work permit or you can apply for visitor status and TRV. Instead of the traditional 6 month stay the company lawyer or you can ask for the visitor expiry date to match the work permit expiry date. If you want to work or volunteer you will need an OWP which some people refer to as SOWP.

It will take a few months so as long as your wife has her visa you can apply for yours (or at the same time).

Thanks very much for swift response. Can I apply this owp from India or I need to apply after reaching Canada. If yes "can apply from India" than

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks very much for swift response. Can I apply this owp from India or I need to apply after reaching Canada. If yes "can apply from India" than
'Yes you can apply in India if your wife's visa has been approved or in conjunction with your wife's visa. Sounds like your wife's employer is doing the immigration paperwork. Surprised they didn't ask whether you wanted to apply for TRV or OWP but you may be able to ask them to apply for the OWP instead. Otherwise as long as you have your UCI# you can apply for OWP on your own. As I mentioned it can take up to around 4 months to process.

Jun 16, 2018
'Yes you can apply in India if your wife's visa has been approved or in conjunction with your wife's visa. Sounds like your wife's employer is doing the immigration paperwork. Surprised they didn't ask whether you wanted to apply for TRV or OWP but you may be able to ask them to apply for the OWP instead. Otherwise as long as you have your UCI# you can apply for OWP on your own. As I mentioned it can take up to around 4 months to process.
Hi
Thanks again.
Yes employer doing all. We have asked with them and they told us that we much want resignation latter or NOC from your current company to process that, which I can't get this moment. so applied only dependent visitor visa.

Jun 16, 2018
Hi
Thanks again.
Yes employer doing all. We have asked with them and they told us that we much want resignation latter or NOC from your current company to process that, which I can't get this moment. so applied only dependent visitor visa.

Hi canuck78,

Can you please give your views on above. Also can you please tell me documents required to apply OWP now from India.