+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deferral program, and IRCC

ali351151

Jan 29, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I have applied for student vise for more than 3 months now, and I have not received official decision yet.
So, I am thinking to deferral my program, which will start next month in May 16, to September in Fall instead.
Do I need to inform IRCC about this?
How can I inform them? I do not have new LOA yet because the request for new LOA cannot be started before May 16.

Best regards,
Ali

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
You only need to inform the IRCC if the deferral is to a date 150 days or over from the original intake. So if your original intake date was May and now is going to be September of the same year, you don't have to inform them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have applied for student vise for more than 3 months now, and I have not received official decision yet.
So, I am thinking to deferral my program, which will start next month in May 16, to September in Fall instead.
Do I need to inform IRCC about this?
How can I inform them? I do not have new LOA yet because the request for new LOA cannot be started before May 16.

Best regards,
Ali
Yes you should submit a webform indicating that you are deferring your admission. You should verify with your school that deferral is possible.

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
Yes you should submit a webform indicating that you are deferring your admission. You should verify with your school that deferral is possible.

Well, i guess he could if he wants to, but it is not necessary at all.

According to this oficial tweet from the IRCC account, they clearly state that a deferral is between the DLI and the student. It is not necessary to inform them.
The only instance where a student have to inform the IRCC about a deferral is when the deferral is to a new intake date that is 150 days or over from the original intake date. In that case, the student have to send the new LOA via webform.

In OP's case, between his original intake date and the new one, there is not 150 days so is not necessary to inform the IRCC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Well, i guess he could if he wants to, but it is not necessary at all.

According to this oficial tweet from the IRCC account, they clearly state that a deferral is between the DLI and the student. It is not necessary to inform them.
The only instance where a student have to inform the IRCC about a deferral is when the deferral is to a new intake date that is 150 days or over from the original intake date. In that case, the student have to send the new LOA via webform.

In OP's case, between his original intake date and the new one, there is not 150 days so is not necessary to inform the IRCC.
They didn’t say you shouldn’t update IRCC. Whether you can defer has nothing to do with IRCC, it is up to you and the school. You haven’t received approval yet so that is another reason you should be updating your LOA. When your application is still in process you should be updating IRCC of any changes in your profile. It will benefit you because your study permit end date will correspond to the new graduation date and you won’t need to apply to extend your study permit.

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
They didn’t say you shouldn’t update IRCC. Whether you can defer has nothing to do with IRCC, it is up to you and the school. You haven’t received approval yet so that is another reason you should be updating your LOA. When your application is still in process you should be updating IRCC of any changes in your profile. It will benefit you because your study permit end date will correspond to the new graduation date and you won’t need to apply to extend your study permit.

Oh yeah. Now that you put it like that, i see your point. You are right. I was focusing more on the question of is it mandatory or not to notify them?. But you are right, at the very least, for your own convenience you should notify them so they can update your study permit date accordingly so you don't have to ask for an extension later on.

Thanks for your follow up!

narikkumar

Mar 23, 2021
Oh yeah. Now that you put it like that, i see your point. You are right. I was focusing more on the question of is it mandatory or not to notify them?. But you are right, at the very least, for your own convenience you should notify them so they can update your study permit date accordingly so you don't have to ask for an extension later on.

Thanks for your follow up!
Hello there! Hope you are doing well. This is KK from UAE. I've got my Canadian Student visa approved and stamped on my passport last month i.e May 2022. LOA submitted was for fall (Sep 2022) intake. My Visa validity is until 31st Dec 2024. Due to personal issues, I am planning to request the university for a Jan 2023 deferment. I suppose I don't have to update IRCC about this change since it is falling under 150 days. Another question, Can I apply for my dependents visa spouse's Work permit right now while I am still in UAE ? Thanks for your time in reading and appreciate if you could share your inputs please.

Best Regards,

umairhasanzaidi

Jun 20, 2022
Hello everyone, I've got my Canadian Student visa approved and stamped on my passport last month on July 2021 and my program start date was sept 2021 but I couldn't attend classes so I cancelled it and applied again and got admission in the same course and same DLI for sept 2022, do I need to apply again for my Visa? Although, I have the same DLI and same course but still do I need to reapply again, can I not show my new valid LOA which I have received. Please let me know?
I do have a valid Visa till 2023.. please do let me know.

Raohumza62

May 30, 2020
Hello Everyone.

I have received my PPR and have submitted my passport as for stamp as well. However, my initial intake was May 23 but I had to defer it due to delayed visa processing. Now the problem is that my College put me on the waitlist for September 23 Intake and gave me LOA for jan 24 intake. I am not sure if I will be able to get the LOA for September or not. In that regard, if I decide to go for Jan24 Intake, will I have to inform the IRCC about it? What if I don't inform them and just go to Canada? What impact it can have? Kindly reply

Akp298

Feb 13, 2024
I got PPR for" 2024 SEP". After 2days later I received defer letter for may 2024 from college( reverse intake defer) and I also raised webform about new loa. Will there be any problem in Canada airport to get study permit or enter Canada?