+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaring family members?

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
I am a tad bit confused about needing to declare family members. My common-law partner wishes to sponsor me, so would I need to include him in the Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) under spourse/common law partner? And when I read more into this on the CIC website, it says:

You must include all your family members even if they are not coming to Canada with you. This includes:

• spouse or partner
  • dependent children
  • dependent children of dependent children (grandchildren)
Also, for you to become a permanent resident, all your family members must pass a medical exam and background checks even if they are not coming to Canada with you.

So would this mean my Canadian-born sponsor would need to take a medical background test as well? Would my mother, father, brother, etc in my home country need to take an exam as well since I need to declare them, even though they don't intend to live in Canada? I have no dependents.

Also, I have a half brother and half sister, but I only met one when I was 5 and the other I have never met at all - one I know where they live in the country (not the address), and the other I have never really had contact with. Would I need to declare them when I know so very little about them?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
This is confusing, so bear with me. The Additional Family Information IMM5406 form pretty much breaks all the rules that otherwise apply to the word "family" when you see it anywhere else in the application. EVERYONE in your family needs to be listed on IMM5406, regardless of whether or not they are Canadian, coming with you to Canada, you are still in contact with them or not... they get listed. Your spouse, children, parents, and siblings (including half and step siblings) all need to be included.

Now forget I told you any of that and I'll explain what "family" means in terms of the medical exams and police checks and anything else you see in regards to "family" needing to complete a requirement or fill out a form... it exclusively refers to you, your spouse (ONLY if they are not Canadian) and your children (ONLY if they are not Canadian). It does not refer to any of your other family members like your parents or siblings. So only you get a medical exam, only you get police checks, etc.

Clear as mud? ;)

Reactions: canadianwoman

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Definitely declare your half-siblings. Any details you do not know, such as their current addresses, just attach an explanation to the form stating you have not seen X since 1998 and believe he lives in ____, but are not sure of the exact address, or whatever.

Your common-law partner is listed.

However, your parents and siblings do not get a police or medical check. Your common-law partner does not get them either.