+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaration

Dopags

Nov 8, 2022
Hi.
I applied for sponsorship for my Mom to come here to Canada and we heard back from the Immigrant asking to declare my Dad in her application. My mom and Dad has been separated for a long time altho not legally in the Philippines. My Dad moved to Canada in 2007 and lived here since. He is now a Canadian Citizen living with a common law. Does the declaration still needed in her application?

Dopags

Nov 8, 2022
Hi.
I applied for sponsorship for my Mom to come here to Canada and we heard back from the Immigrant asking to declare my Dad in her application. My mom and Dad has been separated for a long time altho not legally in the Philippines. My Dad moved to Canada in 2007 and lived here since. He is now a Canadian Citizen living with a common law. Does the declaration still needed in her application?
I meant heard back from the Immigration

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi.
If you can get proof that he is a Canadian citizen, it will no longer be an issue as he won't be eligible to be sponsored.

I'd suggest also writing a letter of explanation that they are separated etc but it's him being a citizen that settles the issue. Can possibly also mention the situation with divorce in PH (he could divorce her from Canada but obviously that may not be a priority).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can get proof that he is a Canadian citizen, it will no longer be an issue as he won't be eligible to be sponsored.

I'd suggest also writing a letter of explanation that they are separated etc but it's him being a citizen that settles the issue. Can possibly also mention the situation with divorce in PH (he could divorce her from Canada but obviously that may not be a priority).
The OP is only sponsoring their mother. The father is irrelevant because he is now a citizen and is not even part of the mother's application.

I [initially] thought the same thing regarding possible misrepresentation on the father's part, when he applied for PR, but...that ship sailed many years ago, even if they were married at the time.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The OP is only sponsoring their mother. The father is irrelevant because he is now a citizen and is not even part of the mother's application.
Yes, that was my point - except note, I believe IRCC could decide that a spouse (to whom one remains formally married) must be included in the application because they could be sponsored (or some long-winded argument for why they could decide that).

By which I mean I believe "... is not even part of the mother's application*" is actually an insufficient response (that is, from the point of view of IRCC). At any rate we frequently see PGP cases where someone wants to sponsor just one parent, and short of proving that they are now divorced, it seems the answer is always ... nope, the spouse must be evaluated too (even as non-accompanying). You can't choose to sponsor just one parent (short of divorce).

The unusual aspect in this case, the thing that solves the issue for the OP, is in fact the citizenship thing.

* [Alternatively phrased, 'not part of the mother's application' works not because they are separated, but only because the husband is a citizen already.]

Reactions: Ponga