+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daytime Running Lights and Recall Clearance

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005

Question#1:DRL
I am trying to get my car ready for importing to Canada from US. I went to a Car Stereo shop and the guy said he can install the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) for about USD $160. He said he will install Fog light on the Bumper of my car and he is quite confident that will fulfill the requirement for DRL. My concern is that the postion of the Fog lights/DRL will be at the Bumper of my car. Will that that be too low position? Does DRL has to be at the same level postion as the Headlights?

Question2: Recall Clearance Letter:
I went to a local honda dealer to get Recall Clearance Letter. They gave me a printout showing some information and also it does not have any Recall listed. That is great! but the printout does not have any Stamp or letter head, it looks like something anyone can create using their computer. I did get a business card of the Service man, but that's it. I asked several people there but they said they don't have any other official document or even a stamp. Will that be enough for Canadian officals?

C

cchabert

I don't know the first one but here is more info:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

And the second one:

Since the most current information is required to confirm recall clearance, please note that recall documents cannot be older than 30 days from the date of issue when presented to RIV.
There are three types of recall clearance information acceptable to RIV:

* A letter from the manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office, written on company letterhead, stating clearly that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. This letter must be dated and duly signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer, along with his/her name and position within the company. The letter must include the vehicle identification number, make, model and model year. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will not be accepted. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.
* A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling the manufacturer’s head office and providing them with the location of the dealership in question. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number, year, make and model of the vehicle and with no indication of an outstanding recall. RIV routinely forwards copies of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.
* Some manufacturers make their recall information available on their public web sites; if this is the case, RIV will verify the information and release the inspection form.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html

khanm777

Star Member
Feb 19, 2009
DRL needs to be at same level as headlight. Take your car to dealership and they will right in US.
RECALL LETTER need to be dealership letterhead.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

khanm777 said:
DRL needs to be at same level as headlight. Take your car to dealership and they will right in US.
RECALL LETTER need to be dealership letterhead.
1. Get the DRL done in Canada, (crappy tire can do it very easily).
2. You realize you have to export the car from the US? http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml
3. Don't forget to read www.riv.ca

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And by crappy tire, PMM is lovingly referring to this chain of stores: http://www.canadiantire.ca/home.jsp?site=WebStore which you can find in any city, town or village in Canada, basically almost anywhere.

When making changes to your car to meet Canadian standards, it would make more sense to get that done in Canada, eh?

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005

I wish I can get this DRL thing done in US. I called few Honda Dealers but they said they don't do it. How does the Canadian Tire does it? do they change the Headlight itself or just add some DRL module in the circuit?

Also, Can I rewire the circuit so that the headlight is always on? I don't know how to do it but I can go and ask the auto shop. I just wonder if I can pass the inspection test that way.

C

cchabert

I think if the USA Honda dealer doesn't do it is because is not a requirement so they don;t know how, but in Canada because is a requirement everybody knows how to do it, it make sense.

Peace!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

max101 said:

I wish I can get this DRL thing done in US. I called few Honda Dealers but they said they don't do it. How does the Canadian Tire does it? do they change the Headlight itself or just add some DRL module in the circuit?

Also, Can I rewire the circuit so that the headlight is always on? I don't know how to do it but I can go and ask the auto shop. I just wonder if I can pass the inspection test that way.
Don't play around with it, you car still has to inspected in Canada to see if it complies. There are a couple of other items that may have to be changed as well. Bilingual air bag stickers, sticker stating odometer reads in miles. May have to have child seat tether bold installed.

PMM

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
DRL - get it done here in Canada, it's not that expensive. Get it done at the same time you bring your car into the shop for inspection (Canadian Tire does both).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CAD 217 is USD 187 (today). So it's a little more but you can be sure it's done right. Do it in the States, pay $160, and possibly have to do it again here in Canada. Believe me, if they can find a way to say "Americans don't do it right," they will...

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
ok guys here's the latest on this.

I talked to one mechanic and he said he can re-wire my car so that the regular(low beam) headlight will be always on.
He will charge USD$120. That way, every time I turn on the engine, the regular(low beam) headlight will be On. Is that good enough for DRL requirements in Canada? The thing is I want to get this done in US so that I have one less thing to worry about.

From what I know, normally when they setup the DRL, they setup so that the High Beam lights turn on with low voltage. Will it be a problem if I have the regular (low beam) headlight on as DRL?

Also how about tail lights? does the tail light also needs to be on during the day? or only the front lights?

Thanks !

lucky143

Aug 24, 2009
hello please help me
i was maarige 2007 and i m comeing in canada 2008 but i think i can live with me wife bicoz she is very care less woman and i want devorce with her so what shuld i do please help me she did not want to give me divorce and if she give me divorce so i can live in canada or canadian goverment is cenccle my PR visa so please tell me bicoz nobady help me and i dont know very well english so please let me know what shuld i do