Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I'd like your opinions on the following:
I'm a Canadian and my husband is Nigerian. We applied for his PR visa once, but he was rejected and we lost the appeal.
We are planning to send in a new application soon.

The thing is, in the first application we stated we met in 2001, but were not sure of the exact date. We just dated casually at first, and it was not really a serious relationship until 2002, which is why neither of us remember the exact date we met. Anyway, my husband was looking at a friend's old passport the other day, and from the entry and exit stamps on that passport (which my husband had never seen before), he was able to narrow down the date we must have met: May 8, 9, or 10, 2000. (I met my husband and this friend at the same time.)

We are sure now we met in 2000. If we say this on the new application, though, will it cause problems? Of course we will explain why the dates from the first and second applications don't match, but I can imagine the visa officer having problems with this - maybe claiming that if we can't even remember the year we met accurately, we must not have been in a genuine relationship, blah blah blah. Would it be better to continue saying we met in 2001?

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
canadianwoman said:
I'd like your opinions on the following:
I'm a Canadian and my husband is Nigerian. We applied for his PR visa once, but he was rejected and we lost the appeal.
We are planning to send in a new application soon.

The thing is, in the first application we stated we met in 2001, but were not sure of the exact date. We just dated casually at first, and it was not really a serious relationship until 2002, which is why neither of us remember the exact date we met. Anyway, my husband was looking at a friend's old passport the other day, and from the entry and exit stamps on that passport (which my husband had never seen before), he was able to narrow down the date we must have met: May 8, 9, or 10, 2000. (I met my husband and this friend at the same time.)

We are sure now we met in 2000. If we say this on the new application, though, will it cause problems? Of course we will explain why the dates from the first and second applications don't match, but I can imagine the visa officer having problems with this - maybe claiming that if we can't even remember the year we met accurately, we must not have been in a genuine relationship, blah blah blah. Would it be better to continue saying we met in 2001?
Well, your own advice is to tell the truth ::) So follow your own advice :D Don't start to doubt yourself.. Put the dates you met and explain why it was unclear before, just like you did here.