+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

sp2305

Oct 31, 2020
If you don't live in Canada you won't qualify for healthcare and you may not be a tax resident (unless you have other ties). Not living in Canada or being a tax resident could cause issues when you apply for citizenship.
Thanks ! Does my employer has to be in Detroit ? If I live in Windsor and commute to Detroit for work?

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hello did anyone file H1b extension recently and got approved while working from home in Canada? Like most other's due to this pandemic we have been working from home and not commuting since last March. My wife now has to file H1b extension and since we not have travel history to US for the last one year, we are unsure of repercussions. If anyone has similar experience can you please help us?
I got mine approved recently. No issues. I applied as consular processing and got it approved for 3 years. Will cross the border to activate it next month or so.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
How does it work if someone living and working in Detroit and just cross the border to Windsor once a day and come back . are there any implications for residency obligations?
[/QUOTE]
Technically (and according to the definition), your working/living model would be counted towards the residency obligation. However, when you renew your PR card or apply for citizenship, the judge may not count this towards residency obligation. Because, you need to establish residency in Canada (in the sense that you need to live in Canada, and do things in Canada as you would normally do irrespective of where you live, eg. owning/renting a house, opening bank account, applying for health insurance card, etc.)

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Anyone travelled from Canada to USA for work for one day. Not exempted from quarantine. Have to travel back to Canada but no COVID test report comes in one day. Anyone have any experience at border with no test report .

shri.ca

Sep 14, 2020
I got mine approved recently. No issues. I applied as consular processing and got it approved for 3 years. Will cross the border to activate it next month or so.
Congrats on your new H1B approval for 3 years. Do you have valid H1B Visa stamped in passport ?

rzk0006

Mar 3, 2019
Congratulations.Are you working remotely on H1b since last March? If so since you are outside of usa did you recapture that time or do you already have approved 1-140 and applied for extension based on that? Sorry for asking many questions but my wife's employer seems very concerned to apply for extension as she didn't enter US since last March.

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Congratulations.Are you working remotely on H1b since last March? If so since you are outside of usa did you recapture that time or do you already have approved 1-140 and applied for extension based on that? Sorry for asking many questions but my wife's employer seems very concerned to apply for extension as she didn't enter US since last March.
I have i140 approved so got it approved for 3 more years. And yes I've been working remotely from Canada since last year.

My employer didn't have any concerns as I wasn't breaking any h1b rules. Also glad I got it approved without RFE.

Last edited:

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi all,
I had been commuting daily between Windsor-Detroit (H1B, CanadianPR) until couple of weeks ago. Now I temporarily moved to Farmington, MI as my wife couldn't commute because of her due date in early June.
Once the baby is arrived and we are ready to go back to Windsor, does anyone know if a baby can enter Canada just on US birth certificate? (As Baby's US passport might take a bit to arrive). And then do I have to apply for baby's Canadian PR as family sponsorship or is there any faster option?
Thanks

ashwin.metpalli

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Hi all,
I had been commuting daily between Windsor-Detroit (H1B, CanadianPR) until couple of weeks ago. Now I temporarily moved to Farmington, MI as my wife couldn't commute because of her due date in early June.
Once the baby is arrived and we are ready to go back to Windsor, does anyone know if a baby can enter Canada just on US birth certificate? (As Baby's US passport might take a bit to arrive). And then do I have to apply for baby's Canadian PR as family sponsorship or is there any faster option?
Thanks
https://travel.gc.ca/returning/travelling-to-canada

Non-Canadians entering Canada
When you enter Canada, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if you need one.

If you are a citizen of the United States, you need a passport to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport, but not to enter Canada by land or by boat. You must carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you. If you are a member of a Trusted Traveller program, see Visitors to Canada.

Reactions: BhargavDadhaniya

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I have i140 approved so got it approved for 3 more years. And yes I've been working remotely from Canada since last year.

My employer didn't have any concerns as I wasn't breaking any h1b rules. Also glad I got it approved without RFE.
Hi ,

can you please share more details like, type of questions you were asked and bdw are you an FTE or a contractor?

Thanks.

rzk0006

Mar 3, 2019
G8 my wife's employer applied for I-140 and its approved couple of days back but for some reason he is hesitating to apply for H1b extension while working remote from Canada.We are not sure about the reason yet but it's g8 news that your H1b got approved and we are in similar situation.

CanucksRajiv

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hello Guys,

I have couple of questions and hope you will answer it.

I am currently working in US and i am allowed to work remote in US. I may have to visit office in New York City once/ twice a month to attend important meetings. So, now can i make following arrangements:

(1) Rent/ buy a place near buffalo - Niagara Falls US and work remotely from that location and commute to Fort Erie Ontario in the evening.
***Has anyone tried this arrangement? Is it possible? I can fly to new york city from buffalo once a while to meet my boss. can ask my employer to add buffalo - Niagara Falls US address in the LCA.***
(2) Does H1Bs are required to satisfy the substantial presence test?
***IRS does not count Days you commute to work in the U.S. from a residence in Canada or Mexico, if you regularly commute from Canada or Mexico for substantial presence test***

Thanks in advance!!