+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Customs rules and importation of your personal belongings

anis_huq

Apr 3, 2017
Hi,
The rules say that, as immigrants we may bring our personal belongings duty-free when we
immigrate to Canada. The rules say,

"On arrival, Canada customs will require a list of all the items that you will bring with you and another
list of any items to follow."

Now, how may I provide these list? Is there a format? I want to bring a couple of books later (i.e. after I have
arrived in Canada).

Bye.

Redbaron

Sep 2, 2016
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
Med's Done....
10-03-2017
Passport Req..
06-09-2017
Hi,
The rules say that, as immigrants we may bring our personal belongings duty-free when we
immigrate to Canada. The rules say,

"On arrival, Canada customs will require a list of all the items that you will bring with you and another
list of any items to follow."

Now, how may I provide these list? Is there a format? I want to bring a couple of books later (i.e. after I have
arrived in Canada).

Bye.
Use these 2 forms in two ways
BSF186: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html
BSF186a: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186a-eng.html

BSF186: use it for declaring separately A) goods accompanying you , B) Goods to follow. In the case of the latter, tick the yes check box for Goods to Follow.

BSF186a: use this if the # of items you are declaring in BSF186 are more than 8. As an example, if you have lots of different electronic items or pieces of jewellery then in BSF186 just add a category called as Electronics Items , or Jewellery and provide a total valuation. Then in BSF186a provide the detail for each item in the category including serial nos etc. In this situation you are using BSF186 as the cover document while BSF186a provides the detail. In BSF186a tick the "goods to follow" check box if the list is for goods to follow.
You can provide approximate value in $CAD for each item.

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
If you land at YYZ, they only ask for passport + the 2 pages of CoPR. That’s all they asked. Quick and easy. They didn’t even ask anything about personal belongings and their values.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
If you land at YYZ, they only ask for passport + the 2 pages of CoPR. That’s all they asked. Quick and easy. They didn’t even ask anything about personal belongings and their values.
It is your responsibility to mention that you have the list as they know not everyone moves with their property to Canada. It is optional. The fact that they didn’t ask doesn’t mean you’ll just bring in your property. Without the blue slip/ tax exemption receipt issued on review of those forms, you have to pay taxes come the day or they will not release your property.

So, to OP, if you intend to import your property, please fill the forms and be sure to have them processed on landing.

All thI best

Bluemoon0606

Oct 15, 2016
It is your responsibility to mention that you have the list as they know not everyone moves with their property to Canada. It is optional. The fact that they didn’t ask doesn’t mean you’ll just bring in your property. Without the blue slip/ tax exemption receipt issued on review of those forms, you have to pay taxes come the day or they will not release your property.

So, to OP, if you intend to import your property, please fill the forms and be sure to have them processed on landing.

All thI best
Hi, I'm not too sure about this. I'm only taking my personal belongings like clothes, dresses, shoes, etc. Maybe a few wedding hifts like on

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Are these queries handled by the pre-arrival services?
I have heard about these services but haven't yet started taking any online/offline sessions as of now.

The thing is there are so many queries as in what documents are must while crossing border, what items can one bring and what not.
I read that details of vaccination is also needed and so is the dental report.
There are so many documents and information shared by CIC on these topics and all this info is literally overwhelming.

Is there any simpler way to find out what documents one needs while crossing Canadian border and what items are allowed?

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
Hi, I'm not too sure about this. I'm only taking my personal belongings like clothes, dresses, shoes, etc. Maybe a few wedding hifts like on
That’s what I did, and they only asked for CoPR and passport.