+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Customes

waseemf

Nov 24, 2009
Hi ..

Have bit of complicated issue and hope some one can help me ..

I have landed in 2008 and then left Canada and other than one visit I was living outside. Now we are returning to stay for good.

When we landed , we have not filed the custom form with the goods that we should be getting later ( I think it is called B4 or sth) ..Now , we are thining to ship some furniture and books.. etc to Canada after we come over.Will we pay customes for that? and how much %? and on which value ?

Can any one help please .. we will be in Ontario.

Thanks.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
I don't know the answer but it is probably important to know what country it is coming from. If it's Canada or Mexico some things could be covered under NAFTA. Otherwise, it's different.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

As per my understanding you should have submitted B4 form ( Form B4/B4A are together) while first landing to declare the list of "Goods to Follow". As you have not done it, you are liable for paying normal customs duty for the excess of normal allowed limit, applicable for importing household items to Canada. I am not sure what are the exemptions. Others may post any suggestions.

waseemf said:
Hi ..

Have bit of complicated issue and hope some one can help me ..

I have landed in 2008 and then left Canada and other than one visit I was living outside. Now we are returning to stay for good.

When we landed , we have not filed the custom form with the goods that we should be getting later ( I think it is called B4 or sth) ..Now , we are thining to ship some furniture and books.. etc to Canada after we come over.Will we pay customes for that? and how much %? and on which value ?

Can any one help please .. we will be in Ontario.

Thanks.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Settler's effects are free of duty.

You are considered a "settler" if you "enter Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for a period of not less than 12 months." So, if you didn't intend to live in Canada for 12 months or more when you "landed", you weren't a "settler" for duty purposes at that time.

See the regulations at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.pdf

"Persons who had previously established a residence in Canada for a period of 12 months or more and become permanent residents under IRPA, are not considered as settlers under the Customs Act. The goods accompanying those persons may not be classified under Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00. For the purpose of the Customs Tariff, these individuals are considered former residents..."

If you were living in Canada for a year and then in another country (continuously with no visits to Canada) for a year or more after that (ending on the date you return), you're considered a former resident and come under these regulations:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-3-2-eng.pdf
See also: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/fr-ar-eng.html

As far as I know, Dubai is a member of the World Trade Organization (WTO) and thus has Most-Favoured-Nation status. Either way, you're going to need a B4 or B4A, but it sounds like your circumstances will allow you to bring your things duty-free either when you become a "settler" for customs purposes or after you've been away for the last 1 year or more continuously.

littleboy

Jul 20, 2008
Hi,
I have a similar case. I landed in Canada, July, 2009. I did not submit (I had the lists with me but was not asked to submit) goods to follow and goods accompany lists when I landed. I stayed there for only 1 week and came back to Australia for finalizing the remaining job. I am moving to Canada for good in April 2010.

Dear BeShoo,
according to your posting, can I consider myself as "settler" when I go again next month? OR, do I need to pay the taxes?
Best regards,

-LB

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Please review the previous discusions which will clear your doubts:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/form-b4-and-b4-a-t35199.0.html

also this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow

littleboy said:
Hi,
I have a similar case. I landed in Canada, July, 2009. I did not submit (I had the lists with me but was not asked to submit) goods to follow and goods accompany lists when I landed. I stayed there for only 1 week and came back to Australia for finalizing the remaining job. I am moving to Canada for good in April 2010.

Dear BeShoo,
according to your posting, can I consider myself as "settler" when I go again next month? OR, do I need to pay the taxes?
Best regards,

-LB