+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

currently working part-time, my last class ends on Dec 18. Do I quit my job and wait for transcripts?

PedroCoral

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm currently working part-time, and my last class of the whole program is on Dec 18, 2021. Should I quit my job, wait for the documents (around 1 month) to apply for the PGWP and then re-join the company but now in a full-time job while being in an implied status and waiting for the physical PGWP document?

miguelca

May 6, 2021
in theory you can keep working part-time after you finished your studies. Your study permit only becomes invalid 90 days after you receive your completion letter. So you still have a valid permit for those 90 days to keep working and prepare for your PGWP.

If you want to be super extra safe,.It’s not necessary for you to quit. You can request a leave of absence or even request your vacations if you have them. I did that. But it was mostly so I could go back to my country and visit the family.
As soon as you apply for your PGWP you can renter full time.
Of course you will need to discuss it with your employer.

Also, depending on your University and faculty, you might be able to talk to them and see if you can get a completion letter as soon as you get your final grades.

Last edited:
Reactions: PedroCoral

PedroCoral

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
Awesome thanks for your reply. My employer is waiting for me to do the switch so I’ll talk with my college about this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm currently working part-time, and my last class of the whole program is on Dec 18, 2021. Should I quit my job, wait for the documents (around 1 month) to apply for the PGWP and then re-join the company but now in a full-time job while being in an implied status and waiting for the physical PGWP document?
As already noted you can continue working until you apply for PGWP. You can then work because you’ve applied for PGWP.

PedroCoral

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
Thanks for your responses guys. Do you happen to have the official site where it specifies this rule that I am allowed to work part-time until I apply for my PGWP? I need to show it to my employer.

Thanks!

airforce1907

Dec 23, 2018
Thanks for your responses guys. Do you happen to have the official site where it specifies this rule that I am allowed to work part-time until I apply for my PGWP? I need to show it to my employer.

Thanks!
you are allowed to work part-time until you get your letter of completion. After you get the letter, you are to stop working

PedroCoral

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
you are allowed to work part-time until you get your letter of completion. After you get the letter, you are to stop working
But once I get that letter, I can apply for a PGWP and start working full-time due to the "implied status", right?

PedroCoral

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
Yes, after you get that letter, you are to stop working. When you apply for PGWP, you are allowed to work full-time right away.
nice, thank you, and this can be like the very same day, like receiving it on a Wednesday, and applying online the same day?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..