+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Curious...

J

jdwhite21

Just wondering how many people are doing inside sponsorship and if anybody could provide some insight into doing inside sponsorship?

Thanks
Jessie

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
You need to be more specific about what kind of "insight" you need. Many people on this forum have done sponsorships from inside...

Read the guide carefully, fill the forms thoroughly and include everything (that is applicable to you) listed in the Document Checklist.
Include lots of proof/evidence in the Sponsored Spouse Questionnaire (if it's spousal/common law), and make sure you write something for the last questions that says something like, "on an additional sheet of paper, include any information that...."

When in doubt, look for a settlement agency in your area that provides assistance, free of charge.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
I believe Jessie is refering to an "inland" application as opposed to outland.

J

jdwhite21

Yes thats what I was referring too an inland application.. not an outland application.
As to insight, I was just wondering if anyone has gone throught the process, if they can tell me kind of what happened, timelines, good things to include as evidence etc. How would they land if they are already here, do they actually have to leave etc etc.
Yes I have read the guide but that doesn't tell you what may actually happen or you know there own experiences...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can search through old messages. I think in the last month or so, there were a couple of ppl talking about it. One got PR in only 10 months and another was still waiting after 17. In some cities, you can "land" in the local CIC office and in others, you might have to drive to the border to do it.

J

jdwhite21

I have searched through old messages but in vain...
I have found stuff to include for evidece but have been unable to find anybody talking about doing inside sponsorship applications... I guess I just have to keep looking!!! You mean a couple did inside sponsorship and they received PR in only 10 months!!! Wow thats awesome. Oh well thats good to know that he wouldn't actually have to leave the country to Land lol.. Do you know what we would have to do in Alberta???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard that if you have been in Canada for 1 year or more, you can land in Canada Place in Edmonton. I do not know if you can land in Calgary. You would have to ask the local CIC office there.

The 9-10 months post is here http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/9-months-later-we-are-done-t16480.0.html and there's another couple on there saying 17 months and no news. You can hope for 9-10 months but that's a best case scenario. There have also been couples here who did inland, had a problem and application was forwarded to local office without first stage approval and one couple were told at their local office that with their workload, there would be 3 years before their file would even get looked at. Better make sure your application is solid, all i's dotted and t's crossed. In a worst case scenario like that though, they would have the option to withdraw and apply again outland.

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Yes, I knew you were talking about inland. I just feel that there's so much in this forum about inland apps...

Anyways, I sponsored my spouse from inside. It was completed (he was landed) within 10 months of submitting the application. I also assist people in submitting these applications, and I have seen 6 months finalized, and I know people who are still in process after 2 years. It depends on the circumstances, and how well/complete the application is when submitted.

It's pretty straight-forward. You complete the application with all the evidence and the items from the documents checklist. Once it's submitted, you will have no acknowledgment of receipt, but after a month or so, you can track the application on e-cas with your receipt # or client ID. After 6-7 months, if everything is "okay", you as the sponsor will receive a notice that you are eligible to sponsor, and your partner will get notice that they have reached the first stage of approval, and can apply for an open work or study permit. If you put in an app to change conditions to an open work permit, partner will get work permit at this time as well.

Then, you won't receive word from them until you get a letter saying they have completed processing and it's been sent to the local office for them to make a landing appointment. (Unless they need to request more info b/f processing is done).

The landing is easy. Sponsored person needs to go to local office with passport, landing fee (if not paid), photos and that's it. There is a short interview (has anything changed, criminality, health, marital status etc? address correct, rights & responsibilities of being a PR), you sign papers, receive confirmation of PR, and that's it. Within 2 months, sponsored person receives PR card.

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
My Ex and I did an inland application for me..I came to Canada in May 94, and I landed Oct 97. We started in Quebec, and has AIP rather quickly - but it took a while for us to get settled. PLUS, we moved from Quebec to BC - oddly enough, as soon as we entered BC, and I had my file transferred with the help of my MP - My file was processed rather quickly. But I was still ticked - my daughter has been born 04/96 [was Canadian] - and I still did not have my status....

BTW I'm American...and I travelled to visit family etc.. while it was in process without hassle.

But it took a long time [and this was well before most of the Immigation Reforms, that are now in place.]