+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal Record Check

jawknee

Aug 1, 2010
I am in Canada in the process of completing my application for permanent residence under the Spouse or Common -Law partner In Canada class and require to get my criminal record check done for here in Canada(as i have lived here for more than 6 months) and from the UK(because that is where I was born. I am in the process of filling out my fingerprints form( C-216C) and was wondering if anyone can help.
1. Do I need to put down a reference number? if so, would this be my client ID number(on my visa status)?
2. Do I need to put down the 'Contributing Agency'? if so, what is that agency? is it 'Case Processing Centre, Vegreville, AB, T9C 1W5, CANADA???
3.Where do I send my fingerprints and 'Request for Police Certificate/Clearances and Authorization for Release of Information'(Appendix A)
4. What address do I send all this info.... fingerprints and Appendix A..... I thought is was to be addressed to...The Director, Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services, RCMP, NPS Bldg, 1200 Vanier Parkway, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0R2....is this correct... or do I send it to 'Case Processing Centre, Vegreville, AB T9C 1W5, CANADA.
5. Do you know how long it will take to get my CRC????
Any help will be much appreciated!!!!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jawknee said:
I am in Canada in the process of completing my application for permanent residence under the Spouse or Common -Law partner In Canada class and require to get my criminal record check done for here in Canada(as i have lived here for more than 6 months) and from the UK(because that is where I was born. I am in the process of filling out my fingerprints form( C-216C) and was wondering if anyone can help.
1. Do I need to put down a reference number? if so, would this be my client ID number(on my visa status)?
2. Do I need to put down the 'Contributing Agency'? if so, what is that agency? is it 'Case Processing Centre, Vegreville, AB, T9C 1W5, CANADA???
3.Where do I send my fingerprints and 'Request for Police Certificate/Clearances and Authorization for Release of Information'(Appendix A)
4. What address do I send all this info.... fingerprints and Appendix A..... I thought is was to be addressed to...The Director, Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services, RCMP, NPS Bldg, 1200 Vanier Parkway, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0R2....is this correct... or do I send it to 'Case Processing Centre, Vegreville, AB T9C 1W5, CANADA.
5. Do you know how long it will take to get my CRC????
Any help will be much appreciated!!!!!
1. Go back read the instructions for Criminal Record Check for Canada, you don't require it unless CIC asks for it. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp
2. If it was requested you go to one of the authorized processors and get digital prints, results in 72 hours. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob116.asp

jawknee

Aug 1, 2010
Hi there PMM,

from what I read, because I have been in Canada for more than 6 months it requires that I include 'Original police Certificates'(refer to Appendix A) along with my application. It is part of my document check list.

So.... do i now fill out Appendix A and then go to one of the authorized processors and get digital prints, results in 72 hours???

Sorry for all this... your help is much appreciated PMM.... thanks for a very quick response!

So basically, it looks like a wasted $25 in getting my fingerprints taken.....aaarrrrgggghhhhh. yet more money dropped for the application process!

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
I am also from the UK, I have been in Canada for 20 months now and was told that I dont need to submit a Canadian Police cert unless the IO in London requests one!

jawknee

Aug 1, 2010
So basically, I should just get my UK CRC done and put that in with my application!!?? and if requested, then go ahead and get my Canada CRC done!? I'm just worried if I get anything wrong my application will get rejected. I had no idea this process would be such a mission, I am getting married to a Canadian in September and was hoping to have all of this done by now. It seems that with every step there are more confusing hurdles! Thanks britincanada. ;D

jawknee

Aug 1, 2010
I am not submitting my application through London britincanada.... I am submitting my application from here in Canada.... not sure if this changes things???

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
Oh your doing an Inland application? Than yes you are require to do a Police check for Canada..Sorry I forgot Inland and Outland have different requirements

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
Inland is sent to Vegreville and takes 8 Months to process sponsorship with an open work permit issued at this point and another 10 months to complete the application...you have no right of appeal and can't leave Canada during the process!

Outland is sent to Mississauga for sponsorship to be approved then forwarded to the Visa office responsible for the applicants country of citizenship..only takes 4-6 weeks for sponsorship approval, for the UK it 2 weeks waiting to start the process in London..then another 2-8 months to complete the process..you have right of appeal and can leave and re-enter Canada during the process..

jawknee

Aug 1, 2010
Thanks for that.... does it make any difference/ speed up the process if we are getting married? I am marrying a Canadian in on September the 18th.

I still have not sent my application in and assumed and heard that applying 'In canada' was quicker than if I applied to London.... although it seems that all info I have received from people recently seem to contradict one another. I was told it will take 6-7 months for my work permit to come through after I send off my application. I plan on sending it all away in the next 2 weeks. Would your advice be to reassess the type of application I go for ...if so... what application should i look into?????

K1203

Dec 10, 2009
jawknee said:
Just reads Leon's post.... Inland works better for us I think!
Hi Jawknee - before you go ahead and make an inland spousal application do plenty of research - just a word of friendly advice really - you are from the UK right?

I was given to understand that the best approach for me was to apply inland (I am a British Citizen). I made my application in February 2008, and received Approval in Principle (which allows you to apply for an open work permit) in October 2008. It is now August 2010 and I am still awaiting my file to be completed. There is no guarantee that it will be done quickly. When you make an inland spousal application they see no urgency as you are in Canada and not treated as priority. If you apply Outland you can still stay in Canada. Most cases from the UK appear to take less than a year to complete. You can always apply for an extension to a visitor visa once your first six months is up.

If you apply inland it is not advisable to travel (nowhere does it state you cannot leave Canada) however, if you do, and you are refused re-entry for any reason you application is null and void. I have just had to go back to England as my mother was unwell and no I am worried about not being allowed back in.
Another negative with inland is that if your application is not approved you have no right of appeal which is not the case with outland.

At the end of the day it is up to you which you feel is best but please fully research before you make that decision. Had I known the reality and length of time involved I would never have done mine inland.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

jawknee

Aug 1, 2010
thank you very much for that input K1203.... i am now looking into changing the type of application we should go for.... so you say I don't have to be outside Canada??? Does this still mean that when i send off my application I also include an open work permit application?

Doing this would also mean we can go back to Scotland and then to Europe for my honeymoon which would be nice!

is this the page i should be looking at? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

I live in Canada with my common law partner(soon to be wife).... does this mean I can still apply using the outland application??? I'm assuming as long as i am legally in canada it doesn't matter!!!???

K1203

Dec 10, 2009
That's correct, as long as you maintain legal status in Canada, they will not ask you to leave. Being from the UK helps as you don't need a Visa as such, but you will have to apply for a visitor extension once the stamp in your passport expires. The link you have there is a great place to start.

When you apply outland you cannot apply for an open work permit. You will be entitled to work though as a Permanant Resident once your application is complete. It took 8 months for me to be able to get an open work permit with my inland application you only can get that at first stage approval. It takes on average 8 months for you to become a PR via the outland process. You will only need to submit one medical etc. etc. I have had to apply for an extension to my open work permit since I have been here, and had to have 2 medicals already - applying inland has really proved to be a lot of hassle and very expensive. None of this would have been necessary had I applied via the High Commission in London.

The only thing against applying outland that I can see is if you were called for an interview you would have to go to London for it. As long as you complete the forms carefully and accurately and supply as much evidence of your relationship as possible it is unlikely you will be called to interview - I wasn't. That said there is always the chance - but had I known back then what I know now I would glady have paid for a flight to London and back - it would have been far cheaper and easier in the long run.
Another good place for you to go for help and advice is your local MP's office in Canada - they will gladly assist you with any questions on immigration.

Good luck

jawknee

Aug 1, 2010
Awesome..... thanks! Your help is much appreciated.....

Thankfully a few of the forms are the same as the ones we have already filled out.... as you said, i'd rather deal with having to get a flight to London than have to get medical after medical and the fact that my fiance and I have so much evidence of us being in a relationship I'm not too worried about being called for an interview! After all, in 7 weeks we will also have wedding certificate/photos etc etc.

Thanks again....

Application process begins again.... this process is trully never ending!