+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal Check

whiteapple

Star Member
Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be applying for PR under the spousal sponsorship and one of the requirements is a background check. I have been living in canada since august 2008, is it ok to just get the criminal check here considering i've only been living in canada for less than 2 years? or i have to get a criminal check from Manila (where i came from)?

how long does it take for the medical exam results to come out?

when can i expect the marriage certificate as well? I live in vancouver...

thanks!

nash_arsenal

May 14, 2009
Vancouver Island
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
8th april '10
You DONT need a canadian PCC(atleast for outland apps), Unless CIC asks you for a canadian PCC.

As posted by MizzCanAm
I got this from the Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada — Part 2: The immigrant's guide (IMM 3999)

Scroll down to the section on Police Certificates

Police certificates

You and your family members who are 18 years of age and older and are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens have to provide:

* a valid police certificate, or
* police clearance, or
* record of no information.

These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada , in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.
You WILL need a PCC from Manila....Also in my case the background check in Canada took too long because CIC is very very busy and the wait is for 3-6 moths(what was told to me....and this info is only for people in Canada applying outland) ...we received out marriage certificate in around 15-20 days if iam not wrong.

I

iarblue

The app says you need a police report from any country you have been in for more than 6 months.

nash_arsenal

May 14, 2009
Vancouver Island
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
8th april '10
iarblue said:
The app says you need a police report from any country you have been in for more than 6 months.
before u give people wrong info read what is said in IMM 3999........ive noticed that most of the info u give is either wrong or ignorant....go and read this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3999E.pdf (page7-8)

You DONOT need a Canadian PCC in outland cases unless CIC asks for one.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
To the OP: you will have to get a police certificate from the Philippines, and anywhere else you have lived for 6 months or more, except Canada.
Quote from the CIC website about police certificates:
CIC said:
A How to obtain a police certificate
Canada
Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed.

How and where do I obtain one?

If the visa office asks you to complete a criminal record check, visit the RCMP website for instructions.
This same website tells you how to get police certificates from every country in the world.