+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Covid-19: Ques for H1b/TN commuters

zhangchow

Jan 14, 2021
Hello,

This is specific question for those who used to commute daily/regularly to the US before Covid-19, and are NOT commuting anymore i.e. working remotely from their Canadian home.

1. Has your US employer allowed you to be on US payroll, while still working physically from Canada?
2. How? and for How long are you allowed to do so?

I spoke with the HR/payroll for my employer, and they said they can allow allow for short period (1-2 weeks) to work from Canada. If working for longer period, which appears to be the case until Covid is history (could be 3-12 months minimum), they would like to transfer me to Canadian entity and pay as a Canadian employee (Canadian payroll, Canadian pay etc.).

I'm trying to figure out how others have managed to stay on US payroll with their employers for this temporary period where they are not traveling/commuting to the US, and working remotely from Canadian home.

I have read other posts, but this specific question has not been answered anywhere.

Thanks for your response.

Takentaken421

Aug 30, 2018
I am not an expert but no company allows their employees to work out of the US indefinitely and pay in USD. People who are doing so may be not letting their HR/Manager know but it's a huge risk in my opinion.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I am not an expert but no company allows their employees to work out of the US indefinitely and pay in USD. People who are doing so may be not letting their HR/Manager know but it's a huge risk in my opinion.
How do you think its a huge risk even after letting employers know the actual matter. As long as we are paying the IRS and CRA part of taxes, isn't that fine?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

This is specific question for those who used to commute daily/regularly to the US before Covid-19, and are NOT commuting anymore i.e. working remotely from their Canadian home.

1. Has your US employer allowed you to be on US payroll, while still working physically from Canada?
2. How? and for How long are you allowed to do so?

I spoke with the HR/payroll for my employer, and they said they can allow allow for short period (1-2 weeks) to work from Canada. If working for longer period, which appears to be the case until Covid is history (could be 3-12 months minimum), they would like to transfer me to Canadian entity and pay as a Canadian employee (Canadian payroll, Canadian pay etc.).

I'm trying to figure out how others have managed to stay on US payroll with their employers for this temporary period where they are not traveling/commuting to the US, and working remotely from Canadian home.

I have read other posts, but this specific question has not been answered anywhere.

Thanks for your response.
Some employers don’t have a Canadian office.