+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID -19 and Residency Obligation

premchandar.au

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Hello, I am a Canadian PR - Indian Citizen - soft landed in March 2019 and have been staying outside Canada for reasons common to many of us here - COVID-19 and the associated issues 1) Travel Ban (travelling through a third question for a family of 4 sounds too daunting both in terms of cost and risk) 2) Infection Risk 3) Job uncertainty (Oil and Gas/Infrastructure) given that the economy is in tatters. I need to move latest by April 2022 if I have to meet the residency obligations. I am currently talking to my employer to see if I can rotate between the India and Toronto/Calgary. I have my apprehensions about it given with the unpredictable travel bans these days. There has been no official communication from IRCC regarding any concession/reprieve in light of the pandemic for not meeting residency obligations

Not that I am directly affected by COVID (my father did test positive, fortunately it was mild) - it is just the other factors - travel/infection risk/job that is weighing in. If I postpone by travel by a year to April 2023, I will have one year for the PR card expiry.

- I see from the forum, in such case, I need to sit tight for 2 years in Canada no matter what happens - as such no other issues in doing so - even if I am reported at the airport (eventually I comply and apply for the PR card after 730 days) - Is that a correct assumption to make ?

- Given the scale of the problem, is IRCC likely to be lenient towards residency obligations?

I know I cant expect a firm answer from anyone given that there is no official information - just want to have other's views as to how things will play out. I already wrote to IRCC on a webform - but I dont expect any pointed response!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello, I am a Canadian PR - Indian Citizen - soft landed in March 2019 and have been staying outside Canada for reasons common to many of us here - COVID-19 and the associated issues 1) Travel Ban (travelling through a third question for a family of 4 sounds too daunting both in terms of cost and risk) 2) Infection Risk 3) Job uncertainty (Oil and Gas/Infrastructure) given that the economy is in tatters. I need to move latest by April 2022 if I have to meet the residency obligations. I am currently talking to my employer to see if I can rotate between the India and Toronto/Calgary. I have my apprehensions about it given with the unpredictable travel bans these days. There has been no official communication from IRCC regarding any concession/reprieve in light of the pandemic for not meeting residency obligations

Not that I am directly affected by COVID (my father did test positive, fortunately it was mild) - it is just the other factors - travel/infection risk/job that is weighing in. If I postpone by travel by a year to April 2023, I will have one year for the PR card expiry.

- I see from the forum, in such case, I need to sit tight for 2 years in Canada no matter what happens - as such no other issues in doing so - even if I am reported at the airport (eventually I comply and apply for the PR card after 730 days) - Is that a correct assumption to make ?

- Given the scale of the problem, is IRCC likely to be lenient towards residency obligations?

I know I cant expect a firm answer from anyone given that there is no official information - just want to have other's views as to how things will play out. I already wrote to IRCC on a webform - but I dont expect any pointed response!
IRCC has NO AUTHORITY to modify the PR Residency Obligation. It is prescribed by statute (Section 28 IRPA). It is fixed. There is very near ZERO likelihood that it will be modified by Parliament.

There is a relief valve. PRs who fail to comply with the PR RO can get H&C relief. That is, despite being inadmissible for a breach of the RO, if in the individual case there are sufficient H&C reasons then IRCC (or CBSA attendant a Port-of-Entry examination) may exercise discretion allowing the PR to keep status. Impact of the global pandemic on the individual PR will certainly be considered in part of the H&C analysis.

Relying on H&C relief to keep PR status entails some risk. This has been discussed in many, many threads here. Some of the discussion is in depth.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Oil and gas industry was not in a great place when you applied for PR and when you landed. You had a year to move before covid was even an issue so you can’t say that covid was to blame for not meeting RO. You were also able to travel directly from India for a large portion of March 2020 until now. Rates of covid were minimal in India and Canada during certain periods and a very large number of Indians did travel. As already indicated the very lenient RO remains. If you work in oil and gas and want to continue working in oil and gas Canada is not a very good place to secure jobs in that industry. If you want to settle in Canada you should try and meet your RO. Moving a family of 4 in 2023 not knowing if your family will be able to remain in Canada permanently is also not a great option and being unable to travel for over 2 years limits you. We see lots of examples of people assuming they will be an.e to remain in Canada for over 2 years but then having family emergencies or having to travel for business which puts them in a very tough position. Not only do you have to remain in Canada for 2 straight years you then have to renew your PR card which often takes longer if you are close to 2 years.

premchandar.au

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Oil and gas industry was not in a great place when you applied for PR and when you landed. You had a year to move before covid was even an issue so you can’t say that covid was to blame for not meeting RO. You were also able to travel directly from India for a large portion of March 2020 until now. Rates of covid were minimal in India and Canada during certain periods and a very large number of Indians did travel. As already indicated the very lenient RO remains. If you work in oil and gas and want to continue working in oil and gas Canada is not a very good place to secure jobs in that industry. If you want to settle in Canada you should try and meet your RO. Moving a family of 4 in 2023 not knowing if your family will be able to remain in Canada permanently is also not a great option and being unable to travel for over 2 years limits you. We see lots of examples of people assuming they will be an.e to remain in Canada for over 2 years but then having family emergencies or having to travel for business which puts them in a very tough position. Not only do you have to remain in Canada for 2 straight years you then have to renew your PR card which often takes longer if you are close to 2 years.
I concur. The plan was always to mobilise after a couple of years, but COVID has made things uncertain. I am waiting for direct flights at the very least.. Hoping that it will by September. What I gather is banking on lenient RO regime is not a great idea and fraught with risks..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I concur. The plan was always to mobilise after a couple of years, but COVID has made things uncertain. I am waiting for direct flights at the very least.. Hoping that it will by September. What I gather is banking on lenient RO regime is not a great idea and fraught with risks..

RO are very lenient to begin with. If you have a good job in oil and gas I would really evaluate if it actually makes sense to come to Canada if you don’t have a job lined up.

premchandar.au

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
RO are very lenient to begin with. If you have a good job in oil and gas I would really evaluate if it actually makes sense to come to Canada if you don’t have a job lined up.
I tend to agree...I do have a good job. Thats the dilemma really... But as such I am not too hung up on Oil and Gas - and not too hung up on Alberta - I am more into the project management side of things... Anything related to Power /infrastructure / Mining - I am open to options (not sure if the employers will be).. ;)... Appreciate your feedback. I will postpone mobilisation by a year if the RO is expected to be lenient.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I tend to agree...I do have a good job. Thats the dilemma really... But as such I am not too hung up on Oil and Gas - and not too hung up on Alberta - I am more into the project management side of things... Anything related to Power /infrastructure / Mining - I am open to options (not sure if the employers will be).. ;)... Appreciate your feedback. I will postpone mobilisation by a year if the RO is expected to be lenient.
There is no indication that there will be any leniency when it comes to your RO. If all your background is in oil and gas it becomes very difficult for employers to see you in another industry when looking at a pile of resumes. There is also no shortage of civil engineers either with masters or MBAs looking for jobs in infrastructure. Mining is yet another industry where it is tough to get a job in Canada. Many Canadians working in oil and gas or mining actually spend a good portion of their careers abroad. What industry does your spouse work in? That would also be a large factor or perhaps she doesn’t work outside the home. In Canada 2 professional incomes are often necessary for things like home ownership, adequate savings, a few luxuries like travel, etc.

Reactions: premchandar.au

premchandar.au

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Spouse just took up a gig in IT - almost started afresh after a 10 year break. So, not really banking on her income for the immediate future. But I agree that is something to consider as well. 8 years in Power and 8 years in oil and gas - that is about it. I got a decently paying job in Toronto in 2019 for an infrastructure major (Aecon) - even before I landed - which I could not join due to some personal circumstances - but that is history. Oil and Gas is changing forever - more so in the developed countries - with climate change taking center stage - so I dont expect it to be the sector it was over the years. I fully agree with you on the over-crowded job market which could suppress salaries and make the whole deal of migrating lopsided - especially for someone in the late 30s - As such things seem muddled with competing priorities and lack of clarity.

I have friends who are in the same boat as me - and who are super confident that residency obligation is not something to worry about if they are able to sit tight for 2 years and as long as they enter before their PR card expires - especially given the pandemic. Not sure, where the confidence comes from - Looks like only time will tell.

premchandar.au

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
There is no indication that there will be any leniency when it comes to your RO. If all your background is in oil and gas it becomes very difficult for employers to see you in another industry when looking at a pile of resumes. There is also no shortage of civil engineers either with masters or MBAs looking for jobs in infrastructure. Mining is yet another industry where it is tough to get a job in Canada. Many Canadians working in oil and gas or mining actually spend a good portion of their careers abroad. What industry does your spouse work in? That would also be a large factor or perhaps she doesn’t work outside the home. In Canada 2 professional incomes are often necessary for things like home ownership, adequate savings, a few luxuries like travel, etc.
Spouse just took up a gig in IT - almost started afresh after a 10 year break. So, not really banking on her income for the immediate future. But I agree that is something to consider as well. 8 years in Power and 8 years in oil and gas - that is about it. I got a decently paying job in Toronto in 2019 for an infrastructure major (Aecon) - even before I landed - which I could not join due to some personal circumstances - but that is history. Oil and Gas is changing forever - more so in the developed countries - with climate change taking center stage - so I dont expect it to be the sector it was over the years. I fully agree with you on the over-crowded job market which could suppress salaries and make the whole deal of migrating lopsided - especially for someone in the late 30s - As such things seem muddled with competing priorities and lack of clarity.

I have friends who are in the same boat as me - and who are super confident that residency obligation is not something to worry about if they are able to sit tight for 2 years without leaving Canada and as long as they enter before their PR card expires - especially given the pandemic. Not sure, where the confidence comes from - Looks like only time will tell.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@premchandar.au . . . I cannot help much with the very personal, practical decision you need to make, as considerations in making personal decisions weighing financial factors, employment factors, preferences in lifestyle or location, other personal priorities, are well outside the range of what I wrestle with here.

What I focus on, and offer commentary about, are the rules governing PRs, what they mean and how they work, and various factors affecting logistical, procedural, and substantive risks related to the rules and their enforcement.

So my comments below are ONLY about the PR Residency Obligation.

To keep PR status, the only SAFE approach, the only approach for which one can have reasonable confidence it will be OK, is to come to Canada to stay BEFORE breaching the PR Residency Obligation. Remember, if a new PR is outside Canada more than 1095 days before the fifth year anniversary of the date of landing, as of that day (which could be as much as two years before the PR card expires), the PR is in breach of the RO and thus becomes "inadmissible" as prescribed by Section 41(b) in IRPA.

Date the PR card expires is NOT relevant.

Many underestimate the impact failing to comply with the RO has. Many overestimate the extent to which H&C reasons will save their PR status. Generalities about "leniency" are often misunderstood.

So, as I am wont to do . . . I offer The Long Read About What Breaching the RO Means:

. . . confident that residency obligation is not something to worry about if they are able to sit tight for 2 years without leaving Canada and as long as they enter before their PR card expires . . .
As phrased, that's an expectation likely to run head-on into disappointment for more than a few . . . depending on many factors, of course, but the number of days abroad by the time they arrive at a Port-of-Entry into Canada is one of the biggest factors.

If instead of "as long as they enter before their PR card expires" they are, in contrast, coming to Canada to stay BEFORE being abroad 1096 or more days since landing, then they could indeed be confident about not losing PR status for failing to comply with the RO.

Reminder: The date the PR card expires is NOT relevant when Canadian officials (CBSA, IRCC, or the IAD) are calculating RO compliance.

What can be confusing in discussions about this is that at the Port-of-Entry (PoE) the expiration date of the PR card can influence whether the traveler is waived through or is referred to Secondary, and there involved in a more or less formal Residency Obligation compliance examination. This is mostly about whether border officials realize there is a RO compliance concern and the PR-traveler should be further examined. As it is oft times expressed, some slide-by. No RO compliance examination, no problem.

The more the PR has been abroad, and especially if it is obvious the PR has been outside Canada three or more years since last in Canada, the chances of getting to slide-by decline. And for the PR staying abroad beyond three years, it is well short of the date the PR card expires that border officials are likely to notice there may be a RO compliance issue and conduct an examination.

This is not a lottery. Not a roll of the dice. Sure, there is some chance involved, but how it goes for any particular individual PR mostly depends on the facts and circumstances in that specific PR's situation. Some circumstances have an obvious effect. For just one example, the longer it has been since the last time the PR was IN Canada, they more likely PoE officials will suspect a RO compliance issue and conduct a corresponding examination.

In particular, for a PR who is in breach of the RO but still carrying a valid PR card, whether or not the PR is referred to Secondary and a RO compliance examination is the biggest fork in the path:
-- If waived into Canada with no examination (allowed to slide-by), the PR is good, status OK, and it will be OK as long as the PR then stays long enough to get into RO compliance (which for soft landing PRs late getting to Canada to settle, is almost always two years); again, no RO examination, no problem​
-- If referred to Secondary and involved in a RO compliance examination, the most important factor, usually, is how big is the breach, and otherwise the PR is more or less relying on a favourable H&C analysis and officials exercising their discretion to allow the PR to keep status despite the failure to comply​

As noted, but worth repeating, once the PR is referred to Secondary and involved in a RO compliance examination, the date the PR card expires is NOT relevant, not at all. What matters is mostly the total number of days abroad compared to days in Canada, and the reasons for not coming to Canada to stay sooner. While there are other significant H&C factors, like the best interests of a minor child, the numbers (days abroad compared to days in Canada) and the reasons for staying abroad are the bulk of what matters in most PR RO H&C cases.

There is little basis for expecting much leniency in how H&C cases are typically decided.

Leading to . . .

What I gather is banking on lenient RO regime is not a great idea and fraught with risks..
I will postpone it by a year if the RO is expected to be lenient.
There is no indication that there will be any leniency when it comes to your RO.
I do not presume to speak for @canuck78 but I am confident the "lenient" RO that @canuck78 initially referred to, in earlier posts, is the leniency of the 2/5 rule itself, not about how liberal or lenient officials might be in allowing H&C relief when a PR fails to comply with the RO.

In contrast, my sense is the latter reference, the observation there "is no indication that there will be any leniency when it comes to your RO," is about the prospect of H&C relief for a breach of the RO.

You can count on the leniency of the 2/5 rule (requiring two years IN Canada out of five); that is, you can "bank" on it. The RO is expected to continue to be the 2/5 rule, so the RO is indeed "expected to be lenient" indefinitely into the future. As long as a PR does not spend more than three years total abroad in five, the PR's status is secure, NO questions asked; no explanations or excuses are necessary.

The availability of H&C relief, in contrast, can and will almost certainly vary considerably, and in the absence of a big-ticket positive H&C factor, it is generally not particularly lenient. In large part H&C relief is generally not liberally available because the RO, the 2/5 rule, is itself already considered plenty lenient enough.

(An example of a situation in which it would be fair to expect leniency: a PR in breach of RO has a child living in Canada whose other Canadian-based parent dies, so the PR needs to keep status to live and work in Canada, so Canadian child has a parent in Canada; best interests of minor child factor carries more weight than most other factors).

That is, the RO itself is lenient (again, many think "very" lenient), allowing PRs to remain abroad up to three years in five NO QUESTIONS asked, no need to explain why, no need to justify the time abroad . . . AS LONG AS the PR spends at least two years in five IN Canada.

The availability of H&C relief . . . generally not considered to be all that lenient.

The Covid-19, Global Pandemic Factor:

How Covid-19 and the global pandemic factors into any particular individual's case will likely depend on that particular individual's situation. It is not likely (and my sense is NOT at all likely) that Covid-19 will give PRs any credit in the balancing of days abroad versus days in Canada. For clarity:
-- it will for sure NOT count as a credit in the RO calculation itself; the global pandemic will not factor into whether the PR failed to comply with the RO (there is no authority in the law to allow any such credit)​
-- it should (under the law, and thus most likely will) factor into assessing the reasons why the PR did not come to Canada sooner, and thus be considered in weighing H&C reasons, but how so, to what effect, and importantly for how long, is difficult to predict, and will vary, including --​
-- -- HOWEVER, as soon as Covid no longer constitutes a serious impediment to travel, its weight as a positive H&C factor is likely to decline, to fade,​

Bottom-line: those expecting Canada to give PRs an extra year or two to return here, because of Covid, are gambling. Odds may still be OK as long as the breach is not too big and Covid is still considered a big impediment to travel. Once Covid is considered to no longer be a significant impediment to travel, it is hard to say how long, but that excuse is going to fade and probably fade quickly.

It is probably fair to anticipate, for example, that a PR returning to Canada in early 2023 after being abroad for four years or so should NOT expect much if any relief at all based on the impact of Covid.

premchandar.au

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
@premchandar.au . . . I cannot help much with the very personal, practical decision you need to make, as considerations in making personal decisions weighing financial factors, employment factors, preferences in lifestyle or location, other personal priorities, are well outside the range of what I wrestle with here.

What I focus on, and offer commentary about, are the rules governing PRs, what they mean and how they work, and various factors affecting logistical, procedural, and substantive risks related to the rules and their enforcement.

So my comments below are ONLY about the PR Residency Obligation.

To keep PR status, the only SAFE approach, the only approach for which one can have reasonable confidence it will be OK, is to come to Canada to stay BEFORE breaching the PR Residency Obligation. Remember, if a new PR is outside Canada more than 1095 days before the fifth year anniversary of the date of landing, as of that day (which could be as much as two years before the PR card expires), the PR is in breach of the RO and thus becomes "inadmissible" as prescribed by Section 41(b) in IRPA.

Date the PR card expires is NOT relevant.

Many underestimate the impact failing to comply with the RO has. Many overestimate the extent to which H&C reasons will save their PR status. Generalities about "leniency" are often misunderstood.

So, as I am wont to do . . . I offer The Long Read About What Breaching the RO Means:

As phrased, that's an expectation likely to run head-on into disappointment for more than a few . . . depending on many factors, of course, but the number of days abroad by the time they arrive at a Port-of-Entry into Canada is one of the biggest factors.

If instead of "as long as they enter before their PR card expires" they are, in contrast, coming to Canada to stay BEFORE being abroad 1096 or more days since landing, then they could indeed be confident about not losing PR status for failing to comply with the RO.

Reminder: The date the PR card expires is NOT relevant when Canadian officials (CBSA, IRCC, or the IAD) are calculating RO compliance.

What can be confusing in discussions about this is that at the Port-of-Entry (PoE) the expiration date of the PR card can influence whether the traveler is waived through or is referred to Secondary, and there involved in a more or less formal Residency Obligation compliance examination. This is mostly about whether border officials realize there is a RO compliance concern and the PR-traveler should be further examined. As it is oft times expressed, some slide-by. No RO compliance examination, no problem.

The more the PR has been abroad, and especially if it is obvious the PR has been outside Canada three or more years since last in Canada, the chances of getting to slide-by decline. And for the PR staying abroad beyond three years, it is well short of the date the PR card expires that border officials are likely to notice there may be a RO compliance issue and conduct an examination.

This is not a lottery. Not a roll of the dice. Sure, there is some chance involved, but how it goes for any particular individual PR mostly depends on the facts and circumstances in that specific PR's situation. Some circumstances have an obvious effect. For just one example, the longer it has been since the last time the PR was IN Canada, they more likely PoE officials will suspect a RO compliance issue and conduct a corresponding examination.

In particular, for a PR who is in breach of the RO but still carrying a valid PR card, whether or not the PR is referred to Secondary and a RO compliance examination is the biggest fork in the path:
-- If waived into Canada with no examination (allowed to slide-by), the PR is good, status OK, and it will be OK as long as the PR then stays long enough to get into RO compliance (which for soft landing PRs late getting to Canada to settle, is almost always two years); again, no RO examination, no problem​
-- If referred to Secondary and involved in a RO compliance examination, the most important factor, usually, is how big is the breach, and otherwise the PR is more or less relying on a favourable H&C analysis and officials exercising their discretion to allow the PR to keep status despite the failure to comply​

As noted, but worth repeating, once the PR is referred to Secondary and involved in a RO compliance examination, the date the PR card expires is NOT relevant, not at all. What matters is mostly the total number of days abroad compared to days in Canada, and the reasons for not coming to Canada to stay sooner. While there are other significant H&C factors, like the best interests of a minor child, the numbers (days abroad compared to days in Canada) and the reasons for staying abroad are the bulk of what matters in most PR RO H&C cases.

There is little basis for expecting much leniency in how H&C cases are typically decided.

Leading to . . .

I do not presume to speak for @canuck78 but I am confident the "lenient" RO that @canuck78 initially referred to, in earlier posts, is the leniency of the 2/5 rule itself, not about how liberal or lenient officials might be in allowing H&C relief when a PR fails to comply with the RO.

In contrast, my sense is the latter reference, the observation there "is no indication that there will be any leniency when it comes to your RO," is about the prospect of H&C relief for a breach of the RO.

You can count on the leniency of the 2/5 rule (requiring two years IN Canada out of five); that is, you can "bank" on it. The RO is expected to continue to be the 2/5 rule, so the RO is indeed "expected to be lenient" indefinitely into the future. As long as a PR does not spend more than three years total abroad in five, the PR's status is secure, NO questions asked; no explanations or excuses are necessary.

The availability of H&C relief, in contrast, can and will almost certainly vary considerably, and in the absence of a big-ticket positive H&C factor, it is generally not particularly lenient. In large part H&C relief is generally not liberally available because the RO, the 2/5 rule, is itself already considered plenty lenient enough.

(An example of a situation in which it would be fair to expect leniency: a PR in breach of RO has a child living in Canada whose other Canadian-based parent dies, so the PR needs to keep status to live and work in Canada, so Canadian child has a parent in Canada; best interests of minor child factor carries more weight than most other factors).

That is, the RO itself is lenient (again, many think "very" lenient), allowing PRs to remain abroad up to three years in five NO QUESTIONS asked, no need to explain why, no need to justify the time abroad . . . AS LONG AS the PR spends at least two years in five IN Canada.

The availability of H&C relief . . . generally not considered to be all that lenient.

The Covid-19, Global Pandemic Factor:

How Covid-19 and the global pandemic factors into any particular individual's case will likely depend on that particular individual's situation. It is not likely (and my sense is NOT at all likely) that Covid-19 will give PRs any credit in the balancing of days abroad versus days in Canada. For clarity:
-- it will for sure NOT count as a credit in the RO calculation itself; the global pandemic will not factor into whether the PR failed to comply with the RO (there is no authority in the law to allow any such credit)​
-- it should (under the law, and thus most likely will) factor into assessing the reasons why the PR did not come to Canada sooner, and thus be considered in weighing H&C reasons, but how so, to what effect, and importantly for how long, is difficult to predict, and will vary, including --​
-- -- HOWEVER, as soon as Covid no longer constitutes a serious impediment to travel, its weight as a positive H&C factor is likely to decline, to fade,​

Bottom-line: those expecting Canada to give PRs an extra year or two to return here, because of Covid, are gambling. Odds may still be OK as long as the breach is not too big and Covid is still considered a big impediment to travel. Once Covid is considered to no longer be a significant impediment to travel, it is hard to say how long, but that excuse is going to fade and probably fade quickly.

It is probably fair to anticipate, for example, that a PR returning to Canada in early 2023 after being abroad for four years or so should NOT expect much if any relief at all based on the impact of Covid.
Thanks for the candid views

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that even if you manage not to be reported remaining in Canada for around 2.5 years without leaving can be very difficult. We see examples al the time in this forum where people plan to remain in Canada for 2 straight years because they arrive exactly at the 3 year mark or much later. People want to visit family, family members abroad get sick, people want to attend celebrations abroad or just want to see friends and family. People also don’t take into account that if you try to renew your PR card and you are close to the 730 days processing is often longer to make sure you were actually compliant with your RO. Renewing your PR card often turns 2 years into 2.5-3 years. Immigration is always a personal decision but in some countries it is not such a cut and dry choice anymore if you have a well paying job and good lifestyle in your home country.