+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

cover letter and reference

Feb 11, 2008
1) I've heard that it would be good to write a cover letter, but I am not sure what should be included, I guess probably self-evaluation of points? any others?

2) My boss is very supportive and she would like to give me a "glowing" (quote) reference for my work ability and ethics. Should I ask her to write one for me though it is not at the request of CIC?

Thanks!!

pokha69

Star Member
Jan 31, 2008
I also heard that it's good to write a Cover Letter. I am on same boat as you are . I am also communicating with my employer to write a reference letter . I am planning to ask my ex-boss to include my jobs, responsibilities and , date hired, and add some supportive words in a single letter. This should make sense.
I think these are the stuffs CIC wants, and others who got PR might have done same.

Thanks..

mikelingen

Star Member
Aug 3, 2007
Yeesss, .........You heard right....

A COVERING LETTER : will do a world of good for your case. In the letter you can tell them who you are, why you want to move to Canada. And if you can, also mention of what use you will be to your newly adopted country.

A LETTER OF REFERENCE / LETTERS OF REFERENCE : these you can get from people with good standing in society or someone who holds public office. In the letter they would have to state that they know you well and for how long, they could vouch that you are a person of good character.

WORK EXPERIENCE LETTERS : These letters you get from your previous employers stating the number of years you worked for them your position, job description, how skillful you were at your job, your interpersonal skills with your peers, immediate superiors, customers, dealers etc., and the salary you drew at the time of leaving.

IN ADDITION to your Work Experience Letters your boss may want to give you another letter saying how much they enjoyed your work when you were in their employ and also stress on your character.

LETTERS OF COMMENDATION : These are letters you get from somebody who holds public office, or your boss for acts or deeds of bravery, going out of your way to help another human being etc.,

These are just a few thoughts & I hope it is of help.

Mike

MaryLee

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A Canadian cover letter usually contains 3 paragraphs.

Paragraph 1: Opening paragraph usually contains info about job and employer and how you heard this opportunity

Paragraph 2: It is the main paragraph and contains your skills which can be beneficial for employer

paragraph 3: Follow-up paragraph. How you can be contacted.

<a href="http://coverlettersandresume.com">Canadian Cover Letters</a>

staralihaider

VIP Member
Jun 19, 2010
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mikelingen said:
Yeesss, .........You heard right....

A COVERING LETTER : will do a world of good for your case. In the letter you can tell them who you are, why you want to move to Canada. And if you can, also mention of what use you will be to your newly adopted country.

A LETTER OF REFERENCE / LETTERS OF REFERENCE : these you can get from people with good standing in society or someone who holds public office. In the letter they would have to state that they know you well and for how long, they could vouch that you are a person of good character.

WORK EXPERIENCE LETTERS : These letters you get from your previous employers stating the number of years you worked for them your position, job description, how skillful you were at your job, your interpersonal skills with your peers, immediate superiors, customers, dealers etc., and the salary you drew at the time of leaving.

IN ADDITION to your Work Experience Letters your boss may want to give you another letter saying how much they enjoyed your work when you were in their employ and also stress on your character.

LETTERS OF COMMENDATION : These are letters you get from somebody who holds public office, or your boss for acts or deeds of bravery, going out of your way to help another human being etc.,

These are just a few thoughts & I hope it is of help.

Mike
WORK EXPERIENCE

•notarized employment contracts from your present and past employers, accompanied by an English or French translation
•original and up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers. Letters must be written on company letterhead and show the company’s full address, telephone and fax numbers, and be stamped with the company’s official seal.

Letters must include all of the following information:

•the specific period of your employment with the company
•the positions you have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
•full details of your main responsibilities and duties in each position
•your total annual salary plus benefits
•the signature of your immediate supervisor or the personnel officer of the company
•a business card of the person signing
If you cannot provide a reference from your current employer, provide a written explanation (i.e. employment contracts, work descriptions, performance appraisals describing job duties).

staralihaider

VIP Member
Jun 19, 2010
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pokha69 said:
I also heard that it's good to write a Cover Letter. I am on same boat as you are . I am also communicating with my employer to write a reference letter . I am planning to ask my ex-boss to include my jobs, responsibilities and , date hired, and add some supportive words in a single letter. This should make sense.
I think these are the stuffs CIC wants, and others who got PR might have done same.

Thanks..
They dont need any cover letter/payslips/transfer salary proof and other letters these are extra supporting documents and its up to you if you want .
Secondly you can write all the details on a single company original letter with your employer bussiness card.

WORK EXPERIENCE

•notarized employment contracts from your present and past employers, accompanied by an English or French translation
•original and up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers. Letters must be written on company letterhead and show the company's full address, telephone and fax numbers, and be stamped with the company's official seal.

Letters must include all of the following information:

•the specific period of your employment with the company
•the positions you have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
•full details of your main responsibilities and duties in each position
•your total annual salary plus benefits
•the signature of your immediate supervisor or the personnel officer of the company
•a business card of the person signing
If you cannot provide a reference from your current employer, provide a written explanation (i.e. employment contracts, work descriptions, performance appraisals describing job duties).

JI JI IRAWO

Jun 13, 2012
Lagos , Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 JAN 2015 NS PAPER APPL
Nomination.....
5th MAY, 2015
AOR Received.
3rd MARCH, 2015 (NS); 2nd JUNE, 2015 (CIC)
Med's Done....
UPFRONT MEDICAL 27th MAY, 2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
5th OCTOBER, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
19th OCTOBER, 2015
LANDED..........
on 22nd December, 2015
Hello All,
Pls i will be applying under NOC 1312 Insurance adjusters and claims examiners. am my boss and company are supportive about it. can somebody kindly avail me a sample of reference letter that my boss can write on. even though the check list is explanatory enough but i will like a sample that has worked out for somebody. The receiving mail box si lekantunji@yahoo.com

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
The reference letter you will include with your FSW application is not the same as one you would use to get a job. Character references should not be confused with job duty references. If your boss follows the points included above he will have more than enough to write about. Making sure that your job duties refect the duties in the NOC, without copying word for word, is the most important reason for obtaining the letter. He can always end with a sentence about your competence/character, but keep it brief. Think about it from the perspective of the VO....he/she has so many applications to wade through. All he want to know is = did you perform the actions required to qualify under that NOC, not whether he would want to hire you. If your employer does not fully describe the duties, and many will not want to be bothered to spend the amount of time it takes to fully describe someone's job, then support the letter with any other documents you have (job posting, employment contract, etc).
A cover letter should only be included when you have something OUT OF THE ORDINARY to impart. Concise. Point form.
DO get a solid reference letter from your boss for use in getting a job in Canada. Good Luck.