+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Couple with student permits- spouse wants to drop out and work full time

hana2

Nov 4, 2017
My spouse and I are both currently in Canada with study permits in grad school. He has an opportunity for a good job here and wants to potentially quit school to pursue this offer. We were wondering if its possible for him to get a spousal open work permit if he drops out of school, since I will still be a student with a valid study permit. Alternatively, his potential employer is open to sponsoring his work visa. In that case, would it be possible for him to hold both an open work permit and a study permit? This would be ideal so he can decide to finish school part time while still working full time. But we cannot find any info online that says whether this is possible. Thanks!

mariels182

Feb 5, 2018
My spouse and I are both currently in Canada with study permits in grad school. He has an opportunity for a good job here and wants to potentially quit school to pursue this offer. We were wondering if its possible for him to get a spousal open work permit if he drops out of school, since I will still be a student with a valid study permit. Alternatively, his potential employer is open to sponsoring his work visa. In that case, would it be possible for him to hold both an open work permit and a study permit? This would be ideal so he can decide to finish school part time while still working full time. But we cannot find any info online that says whether this is possible. Thanks!
Hi there!
I am not 100% sure but I think he cannot hold both permits at the same time.
He can apply for a change of status from student to worker. He will be allowed to study non-academic courses (languages) but I believe that's it.
Also, if the company sponsors him, I think he will get a close work permit...

I know you wrote this a long time ago...but I am new here.

I hope you were able to sort this out the best way possible,

Good luck!