+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Couple questions about work permit renewal

madtowneast

Jul 20, 2014
Hi all,

I am in the process of preparing to renew work permits for myself (LMIA exempt) and my spouse (common-law with open work permit). We have several questions about the process:

1. We travel to the US every 2 to 3 months for business and family visits. Is it an option to try to renew the work permit at the border? If so, do we both have to be present?

2. My spouse was previously taken into custody (arrested? We're not sure, read on) under the suspicion of OWI/DUI. The lab results were negative for intoxicants and the charge amended to reckless driving. Both the OWI/DUI and reckless traffic are considered traffic offenses, i.e. non-criminal, in her home state. Both her home state and FBI police certificate do not show a record of the arrest. The renewal form states that one should explain arrest for "any criminal offense in any country." What should we mention the arrest, since it was for a non-criminal offense in the country that it occurred or should be go with the Canadian definition of OWI/DUI?

Thanks a lot in advance!

In_Alberta

Nov 13, 2013
Are you American citizens? If not

1. Then there is no option to renew at the border.

2. Explain in detail what happened. From my experience, telling the truth didn't hurt my visa application.

madtowneast

Jul 20, 2014
In_Alberta said:
Are you American citizens? If not

1. Then there is no option to renew at the border.
One of us is. I was told that by colleagues that people have done it at border if they are from visa-exempt country, which we both are.

In_Alberta said:
2. Explain in detail what happened. From my experience, telling the truth didn't hurt my visa application.
Single-vehicle car accident. Cop suspected OWI/DUI, taken to the hospital by cop to take blood for tests, and released to family. Blood showed no intoxicants. Traffic offense reduced from OWI/DUI to reckless driving.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
madtowneast said:
One of us is. I was told that by colleagues that people have done it at border if they are from visa-exempt country, which we both are.

Single-vehicle car accident. Cop suspected OWI/DUI, taken to the hospital by cop to take blood for tests, and released to family. Blood showed no intoxicants. Traffic offense reduced from OWI/DUI to reckless driving.
Sure you can renew work permits at the border. The only issue is that if CBSA has any concerns, i am not quite clear what would happen then.

There is no requirement for being an American Citizen to renew work permit at the border. The only requirement is being from visa exempt countries and have LMIA and job offer in case of LMIA based work permit.

Heck i have now known more than one cases in which people from visa exempt countries, but already in Canada on a work permit went to border and got renewal issued. However, above case is perfectly fine.