+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Couple of questions! Help much appreciated.

Nov 17, 2013
Hi guys,

So, I participated in the USIT Under-35 program in 2009 and then got the first IEC visa when it came out. I applied to the IEC for 2013 but was denied. I feel like they misunderstood and thought I meant I had gotten two IEC visas (I was going through some rough stuff at the time and didn't really fight it). Am I wrong in thinking that? Is the U-35 USIT one from 2009 considered the same as an IEC?

Secondly, as I have duel citizenship (I was born in the UK, both my parents are English) can I apply for the UK IEC with my British passport instead or is it all restricted to me as an individual. I have lived in Ireland for the last few years (not counting the time I spent in Canada).

Hoping one of you has had a similar experience. Thanks for any help, really appreciate it. Cheers.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jackjustjumped said:
Hi guys,

So, I participated in the USIT Under-35 program in 2009 and then got the first IEC visa when it came out. I applied to the IEC for 2013 but was denied. I feel like they misunderstood and thought I meant I had gotten two IEC visas (I was going through some rough stuff at the time and didn't really fight it). Am I wrong in thinking that? Is the U-35 USIT one from 2009 considered the same as an IEC?

Secondly, as I have duel citizenship (I was born in the UK, both my parents are English) can I apply for the UK IEC with my British passport instead or is it all restricted to me as an individual. I have lived in Ireland for the last few years (not counting the time I spent in Canada).
Hi

Says right on the Irish IEC main page:

Changes to International Experience Canada starting 2013

Starting 2013, two significant changes will be made to the International Experience Canada initiative for Irish citizens:

Irish citizens will be able to come to Canada under International Experience Canada for a period of up to 24 months, on a maximum of one occasion.
Irish citizens will no longer be required to demonstrate habitual residency.

Previously, Irish citizens were permitted to participate twice, each time up to 12 months. Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) for a period of up to 12 months will be eligible for another participation of up to 24 months. Those who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) more than once (i.e., beyond 12 months) will not be eligible.

You can probably apply under the UK scheme using your British passport but I suggest you contact them to confirm before actually applying.