+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Could we apply for work permit if we had just got our study permit extended?

Ravirav

Dec 12, 2016
Hi House,

I am an international student in Canada. I have completed one year post-graduate certificate on April 30, 2020 and have received Final Degree Certificate on June 04, 2020.

My study permit was getting expired on July 31, 2020. And initially i was planning to take up another post-graduate certificate in Sept 2020. Thus, had got admission for another course and had applied for study permit extension. I have now received extension and study permit is valid till Nov 2022.

But now i am dropping my plan of another year course and would like to apply for work permit instead. So,
1) Would i be able to apply for work permit now since i had already got my study permit extended?
2) What is the maximum time within which i would have to apply for work permit? I was reading online that students have 180 days to apply for work permit but i am not sure whether it holds good in my case.
3) Is the 180 days period counted after completion of my course (April 30) or after i receive degree certificate (June 04)?

Request anyone to please clarify. Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

Last edited:

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hi House,

I am an international student in Canada. I have completed one year post-graduate certificate on April 30, 2020 and have received Final Degree Certificate on June 04, 2020.

My study permit was getting expired on July 31, 2020. And initially i was planning to take up another post-graduate certificate in Sept 2020. Thus, had got admission for another course and had applied for study permit extension. I have now received extension and study permit is valid till Nov 2022.

But now i am dropping my plan of another year course and would like to apply for work permit instead. So,
1) Would i be able to apply for work permit now since i had already got my study permit extended?
2) What is the maximum time within which i would have to apply for work permit? I was reading online that students have 180 days to apply for work permit but i am not sure whether it holds good in my case.
3) Is the 180 days period counted after completion of my course (April 30) or after i receive degree certificate (June 04)?

Request anyone to please clarify. Thanks a lot in advance!!!!
1) yes
2)3) Calculation of the 180 days begins the day the student’s final marks are issued or the day formal written notification of program completion is received, whichever comes first. The onus is on the applicant to provide proof of the date the transcript is received. Officers may also confirm this date with the DLI.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#application