+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Costs of Giving Birth in Canada - Permanent Resident (Health Card)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It should not affect her PR unless something else happens because of the pregnancy that could affect her PR. For example, if she is being sponsored by her employer through PNP and the employer decides to withdraw their sponsorship because she is having a baby and will take maternity leave, she would lose her application.

So did you land as a PR before you got married? Are you sponsoring her? Or did you still not land and you have added her to your application?

goibi

Jun 26, 2010
yes my PR landed already before I got married.I planned to sponsor her but since she already spent $2500{this is just half of the payment still}and her SINP got approved already..we decided to continue the current application process.already..she paid the amount $1,040 as requested from the what to do next after been approved in the sinp.

goibi

Jun 26, 2010
hi!my wife is worried about her PR application because of her pregnancy..Her medical exam is the next step on her application.she's worried about taking the X-ray..and/or the CIC will delay her application during her pregnancy.please i need a clarification to this.thanks!

RickyRocks

Jul 1, 2012
craunchi said:
My wife is expecting and most probabely will give birth in Mississauge. Can someone who went through the same process advice about the expected costs and procedures, experience. My wife has a valid Health Card.
Hi craunchi

Congrats! I believe all went fine and you are enjoying great moments with your baby.
I am currently in your situation and would like to know what happened - expenses/hospital etc.
Pls let me know (vwprabhu@yahoo.com)it will be of great help.
thank you

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well I asked the Civic and General Hospital in Ottawa and they said you are looking at about max $3000 for a delivery with no OHIP card if the spouse is Canadian and has their OHIP card. That includes everything and is the cost for 24 hour stay. If you decide to stay another 24 hours add another $1800-$2000.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
In our case it cost us just $800 - and we were charged that money only for staying extra day in the hospital. otherwise it would be free.
My husband was Canadian and I was just landed immigrant with no OHIP yet.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
goibi said:
hi!my wife is worried about her PR application because of her pregnancy..Her medical exam is the next step on her application.she's worried about taking the X-ray..and/or the CIC will delay her application during her pregnancy.please i need a clarification to this.thanks!
yes, the decision on her application will be delayed till the moment she will be able to do the complete medical test. Also you will need to add your newborn child to your application with his/her medical exam too.

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
In our case it cost us just $800 - and we were charged that money only for staying extra day in the hospital. otherwise it would be free.
My husband was Canadian and I was just landed immigrant with no OHIP yet.
Which hospital was this that only charged you $800? What city? Why was it so cheap?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
masoud100 said:
Which hospital was this that only charged you $800? What city? Why was it so cheap?
It was a hospital in Ontario, and they charged us $800 for an extra night otherwise it would have been free. $800 for just a few hours is not cheap.

walter8299

Star Member
Oct 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Hi everyone,

I just want to come back here to share some information about our cost with the delivery.

Gyno - $2500
Additional Fees like lab test, ultrasounds, etc - $500
Hospital - $2500
Epidural - $800

Our total cost was = $6300 (but the baby was priceless and we enjoyed every moment with her :) )

However, those are discounted price...

Gyno can range from $2000-$4000 (it varies)
Additional Fee - $500-$1000 (depends on the wife's medical condition)
Hospital - can be upto $5000 (depends on hospital and if you recover good enough to be discharge)
Epidural - usually it about 1200-1500$ (or no charge if you don't use it)

That is why people say delivery without OHIP in Ontario can cost you upto $10000-$13000.

But explain your story to the doctor and hospital, those are understanding people if you show them appreciation.
Usually those charges are quite flexible, they just enter in the amount into their system, there is no fixed fee in their system for the service. Only if you are covered by OHIP, then its probably fixed, but when you're a "cash patient", they can charge anything. That's from my experience and from hearing from others.

JoannaSz

Nov 1, 2012
Hi, is anyone now that in Canada you can choose natural birth or cc? My previous was cc, but in Ireland, that why I asking.
Thanks, Joanna

walter8299

Star Member
Oct 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
JoannaSz said:
Hi, is anyone now that in Canada you can choose natural birth or cc? My previous was cc, but in Ireland, that why I asking.
Thanks, Joanna
From what I know (since we've asked our OB before), they are suppose to aim for Natural unless you request for CC or unless under some circumstances where natural is not safe for you and the baby.

Some circumstances include but not limited to, would be the cord is tangled around the baby's neck, the water breaks but you're still having trouble getting the full opening, drop in blood pressure for the mom, and many other medical reasons. OBs do like to go for natural birth from what I know.

I know in Asia, people like to do CC because they believe CC is less painful and for those that are superstitious will choose the time for the birth of the child.

chowder101

Aug 5, 2011
I delivered in Newmarket, ON few months ago. Had normal delivery, and stayed in the hospital for 1 day only. Bill was $2400 while doctors' fee was $1,100. I had a travel insurance before I came here, so i told the hospital staff about it. they asked for a $1000 deposit, and settle the rest until i can contact my insurance company. I was discharged a day after, the hospital staff didn't force me to settle my remaining balance. Instead, they advised me to give them a follow-up call once insurance had been claimed. I was amazed how lenient they can be.

regards :D

rundung

Dec 4, 2012
Hi All,

Very new here (just registered 2 mins ago) as I just stumbled upon this site while searching for answers.

My issue is this: My wife and I are about to move to Canada. I am coming in on a TWP and I'm bringing her and our 4yr old. I understand that as an Temp worker I will be eligible for Provincial health coverage. My questions are:

1. Will she be also?

2. Will they cover her should she get pregnant since she will have an open work permit?

3. What if we should be "early pregnant" when we arrive (like 2 months along). Will the fact that she is pregnant when applying for the provincial health card be an issue?

I tend to over-plan but this has never failed me so here I am doing it again ;D.

Thanks.