+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cost of daycare

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
Hi....

My family and I will be coming back to Canada for good next Spring.

I wld like to know how much is the cost of childcare/month for my 5 year old and 4 year old? Are there any seniors out there who are working parents with 2 young children? Can you share how should I be expecting to pay per month for a family of 2+2 in Toronto? May I know how much is the minimum salary now assuming that I start off with a survival job to get my Canadian working experience.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Take this as a reference:

Pippin said:
I called and got some prices for one DAYCARE in North Vancouver, but expect these rates would give you a good idea for most of Vancouver.
1-3 years old, 5 days/week, 7am-6pm, $1,060 per month
3-5 years old, as above, $ 735 per month
School aged (before/after school) $ 475 per month

canadausa

May 31, 2010
I just moved to Toronto from the USA. We are paying about $1,000 per month for full time daycare for our 3 year old. We checked several places and that's about the average for a private daycare, there may be some subsidized options.

joycee12

Oct 12, 2010
in toronto area....

$50-60 per day from 7-6pm all meals included excluding registration fees...
stay in nannies range is $10.25-12.00 per hour M-F excluding deductions for food and lodging PLus all insurance costs and taxes...

nanny-sharing is common and cheaper but is not legal (i think)....

we have 4 and 2 yrs old boys....our average

grocery bill is 120-150 weekly
rent is about 1000-1200 per mo
hydro is 30

hth

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
Hey Thx for the info Joyce...

Your situation is pretty similar to mine.....yeah..minimum of CAD4000-4500/mth is pretty much the monthly expenses tht I shld be expecting, I guess.

May I know how long have you and your family been in to Toronto? Are you adjusting well to life in Canada? Is it tough getting jobs like what I've been reading at some of the blogs?

Thomas21

Nov 21, 2012
You will pay more when your child is under age one and less as he gets older. Because little child require more care and affection. Cost also depends on where you live, quality and age of kids. I currently pay $650 a month for a four year child.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How much after tax income does a person need so that he can comfortably afford daycare costs? also lets add rent/mortgage, car insurance, grocery cost etc?

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
Actual numbers to share..

$380/child for before/ after school care. Exclude extra charges on days where there r no classes. Daycare centre will send and pick up the kids, provide snacks and work with them on math, English, mandarin and art.

Bridge Bilingual Montessori Preschool is pretty good..I would recommend parents to check out the place.

As for accommodation, it's $1450/month for a 2 bedroom, $100/ wk for grocery, $230/month for car insurance, $400/month for petrol, $128/ month for MSP....these all fixed expenses. But watch out for sudden bombs like dental which is sooooo expensive. Ask around friends for referral before walking into any dental clinic...I recently got a dental treatment plan for my child to fix her baby tooth for $1700! This is after deducting insurance coverage of $950. Luckily I had a chat with a friend who referred me to her dentist and it costs only a fraction of what was initially quoted to me.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
$380/child for before/ after school care.(assuming this is per month)
$1450/month for a 2 bedroom, accommodation
$100/ wk for grocery,
$230/month for car insurance, (I would like to know where you get your insurance cause most are now at atleast $300)
$400/month for petrol,
$128/ month for MSP

Total : $ 2988, approx $3000 without saving a dime

So basically someone will have to be making at least $60,000 before tax income to get anywhere close to saving

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
I got my NCB transferred in order to get the discounts...I still did not manage to get the max of 40%. Well, the MSP is the portion that can be saved if your employer is providing medical benefits. Otherwise, yeah...you r right...$3k/mth is absolutely the monthly household expenses that a family of 4 needs to be prepared for if they choose to stay in BC. The amount can only be more but definitely not less as my family typically cook our meals and only enjoy occasional meals outside. That is why I think the sooner we buy our own house, the better it is as we will be putting equity into something that we own rather than burning $1400/mth perpetually by renting.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
low said:
the better it is as we will be putting equity into something that we own rather than burning $1400/mth perpetually by renting.
But home ownership means you need to pay property taxes, landscaping maintenance, utilities, etc.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky has a good point and since the real estate market is over inflated in major cities across Canada its better to rent. Prices of homes are going up exponentially relative to income/salary of Canadians so I am very curious to know who are actually buying real estate in this country. The world is going through a recession and almost every developed country is going through a crisis and real estate and consumer spending in Canada is sky rocketing.... Where is all the money coming from and when is all the borrowing going to stop? Cant wait for interest rates to go up

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's hard to say when to owning or renting homes. Often, you can see who are buying in the new homes sales office or presentation centres. I seen some homes were even sold in the first day of the release!

Peter Rabbit

Star Member
Apr 2, 2011
Buy a house, if you can!

I bought a home (well, a town house) three years ago. Mortgage - $800/month, insurance some $100 and property tax some $250/month + utilities.
If I were to rent this house, I would pay at least $1, 300/month + utilities.

One day, I will finish paying mortgage ….but I would never finish paying rent.

I love ownership! I love the headache of buying a gas insert, changing doors, garden maintenance, etc. I love it!
However, Newtone is right. One needs to make at least $60,000 - $ 70,000/year in order to keep up with costs.

You will make it!

Ja_Sy

Sep 23, 2012
I thought daycare is free :-[ hays must have a good job..cant afford to hire a caregiver.. :(