+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR paperwork - character limit on names or spelling mistake? Advice please!

C

cowtown gal

Hi there,

This is my first time starting a thread - how exciting! Basically, my husband and I picked up his passport with visa from CIC-London yesterday. When we examined everything later, on the COPR paperwork his name has been shortened. His first name is there in full, but his middle name is missing the last letter. This also happened on e-cas, which we assumed was just a character limit for that field on the electronic system. Is this still the case on the COPR (assuming it is printed from the same system)?

His full (first and middle) names are spelt correctly on the actual visa in his passport but we just wanted to check and make sure the paperwork truncation of his name would not cause any issues upon landing? Has anyone else landed with this kind of info on their COPR and was it all fine when you got there?

We just need to know if we need to contact London and possibly go through the process of getting a new COPR or it's fine to land with it the way it is?

Many thanks in advance for any/all replies and advice!!

Girlash

Oct 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2009
LANDED..........
19-05-2010
I have the same problem too. I've read somewhere in this forum months ago that it's a big trouble. Hope somebody can clear this one for us.

russell_rulez

Jan 28, 2010
Hi:

My brother in law ran into same situation. He got COPR through CHC London. His middle name got 8 letters but his COPR had only 6 character. When he landed in Canada he contacted to CIC and they informed that it is due to character restriction. He just applied for his citizenship and asked to fix the problem in his citizenship documents. Haven't gone through the citizenship process yet so don't know the implication. Other than that he didn't face any problem.

Middle name is not that big factor in Canada (my opinion though !!!).

It is safe to use middle initials if needed

Perfect

Star Member
Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 11, 2010
Doc's Request.
October 5, 2010
AOR Received.
October 5, 2010
File Transfer...
September 10, 2010
Med's Done....
February 20, 2010
No its nothing to worry about. I landed wit my son and his name had too many characters so they shortened his middle name as well by one letter. So dont worry and congradz by the way!

C

cowtown gal

Thanks for all the replies so far. Any other experiences/advice?

Thanky ta!

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
cowtown gal said:

Thanky ta!
Same thing happened in my case too. My wife's name was mis-spelled in both CROP as well as the Visa. I contacted Visa office, Buffalo right away, and I was told that it's just shortened in the CROP and Visa; however, in the system it's correctly spelled out.

When we landed, and advised the immigration officer that the name is simply mis-spelled in the CROP and visa, and in the system it's all correctly spelled out, according to Visa office, Buffalo. The immigration officer would listen to what I was saying. They just follow what's in the CROP. They don't care what's in the system. So, now I had to fill out a correction of name form for CROP and PR, and it's the third week no result has came back, in the mean time, my wife can't apply for SIN, since they as well just follow what's in the CROP. I have to wait until a new CROP is issued with the correct name. the PR is also issued with the wrong name. So, once I get the PR (Which's usually few months) then I have to re-apply for a change of name on PR as well, which will take another few months.

It's just so frustrating that we have to pay for their mistake and so-called system restriction. I wish they paid a bit more attention in doing their job. Imagine, due to a typo mistake of one agent, we have to go through a long and tedious process.

Hope this info. helps

Toledo.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cowtown gal said:

Thanky ta!
Hi cowtowngal, I will be completing my first year in this April as a PR in Canada. My middle name in my passport and records are "ANTONY" and in the PR Card is "AN". I asked the IO while landing but he said they cannot enter complete letters in their system because of the restriction of charactors allowed. There are several people with very long names and all those with extra long names will have the same problem which is not really considered as a problem at all. So, take it easy.