+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
@crackMBA I plan to stay in a basement of a friend's house. He lives alone. The basement also has an attached bathroom. I read on IRCC's website that we are allowed to stay as long as the other party gives their consent. What are your thoughts?
For now that will work, if you travel early enough.

However, the government is planning on mandatory hotel quarantine in the coming days.

The federal government is mulling a mandatory quarantine in hotels for returning travellers as the country's top doctor warns that easing COVID-19 restrictions too quickly could cause case numbers to shoot up again.

Also: https://globalnews.ca/news/7594233/trudeau-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-covid-ca/

Reactions: w_P

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Are there any other options than Air India or Air Canada? I am planning to travel in March first week but the direct tickets are really expensive. The cheaper options are transit via Germany or UK but I really don't know about the quarantine polices for transit passengers. Even before COVID, if I am not wrong, Indians needed a transit visa to transit through these countries.
Does anyone have any idea or suggestion for airlines? I know it is best to take a direct flight in these times but I just want to be aware of other alternatives.
No need of transit visa from Europe or UK even during pre-covid times.
If you have PR Card you can try calling the airlines and ask about travelling via Europe, UK or gulf

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
For now that will work, if you travel early enough.

However, the government is planning on mandatory hotel quarantine in the coming days.

The federal government is mulling a mandatory quarantine in hotels for returning travellers as the country's top doctor warns that easing COVID-19 restrictions too quickly could cause case numbers to shoot up again.

Also: https://globalnews.ca/news/7594233/trudeau-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-covid-ca/
My valuable opinion:

"Trudeau said at a news conference that such measures could be imposed suddenly and bluntly warned against nonessential trips abroad." Well CoPR holders are not on a trip abroad and are deemed as essential travellers if they are approved and coming to settle in Canada.

I don't think it would be applicable for first timers who are landing with CoPRs/ALs as they have already demonstrated their quarantine plans.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
@crackMBA I plan to stay in a basement of a friend's house. He lives alone. The basement also has an attached bathroom. I read on IRCC's website that we are allowed to stay as long as the other party gives their consent. What are your thoughts?
Yes you can. Make sure you have separate bathroom, kitchen, laundry and get a letter from him just in case immigration officer asks for it.
Moreover, Canada may come up with 14 day hotel quarantine. In that case it may be difficult for you to quarantine at home.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
New travel restrictions are announced but not sure when they are gonna be implemented as no dates are provided yet:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-travel-measures-1.5892992

My opinion is fading away which I gave earlier but as per read from article it feels like it is targeted for people returning to Canada from abroad in other words people who are travelling from Canada to outside for leisure and returning back to Canada.

Let's see it things get cleared out in coming days.

Last edited:

lnmora

Aug 27, 2020
New travel restrictions are announced but not sure when they are gonna be implemented as no dates are provided yet:

My opinion is fading away which I gave earlier.
Yeah , it seems like travellers landing in canada will be tested ,until then they have to quarantine in hotels. If tested negative, they can check-out . But we dont know how far this implies to Expired COPR or COPR candidates, whose travel is essential.

Last edited:

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019

My opinion is fading away which I gave earlier.
It's... not as bad as I expected. The good things I see are that they have not done any blanket bans, that means we can continue to make plans and ALs, COPRs issued now can be used.

The only problem will be additional $$ spent on the mandatory quarantine - TBH with our mounting frustration and waiting times, I will accept this if they let me land. It's just an additional $2000 which we'll need to save up for and bear the cost of. Unfortunate, but that's it.

TL;DR - I am happy that it's just money - solvable problem, vs. blanket ban, which is unsolvable.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India

My opinion is fading away which I gave earlier but as per read from article it feels like it is targeted for people returning to Canada from abroad in other words people who are travelling from Canada to outside for leisure and returning back to Canada.

Let's see it things get cleared out in coming days.
Yeah, this is what I am thinking but it is hard to make rule like that. He is actually pissed off because of snow words going to warmers places. Even flights are suspended for warmers places.

Last edited:

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
It's... not as bad as I expected. The good things I see are that they have not done any blanket bans, that means we can continue to make plans and ALs, COPRs issued now can be used.

The only problem will be additional $$ spent on the mandatory quarantine - TBH with our mounting frustration and waiting times, I will accept this if they let me land. It's just an additional $2000 which we'll need to save up for and bear the cost of. Unfortunate, but that's it.

TL;DR - I am happy that it's just money - solvable problem, vs. blanket ban, which is unsolvable.
Yeah but IMO decision seems to be for Canadian Citizens who are travelling abroad to avoid canadian winters. Yes there is no issue with extra CADs spent for hotel and getting extra swab in nose and throat but expired CoPR holders with AL are travelling for essential purpose and not for leisure.

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

lnmora

Aug 27, 2020

I agree with @whyCorona , people who are travelling with COPR are on essential travel. I suppose they will update on IRCC website if there are changes on travel restrictions for immigrants

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India

I like your positivity. This 2k extra is a burden but better than blanket. He even did not mention about people those who have connecting flights. How is that going to work?

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I agree with @whyCorona , people who are travelling with COPR are on essential travel. I suppose they will update on IRCC website if there are changes on travel restrictions for immigrants
Let's wait for Immigration site update. It would be more clear. If we don't find it on immigration site in next few days then this new restriction is specifically for our dear snow birds.

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I like your positivity. This 2k extra is a burden but better than blanket. He even did not mention about people those who have connecting flights. How is that going to work?
Wait for few days to get answer to your question. Restrictions are just announced today.

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
I would like to agree too. Just wish there are no more restrictions for COPR landers. The instructions are so confusing everywhere:

Link: You should not travel to a port of entry to validate your COPR. This is not considered essential travel and you won't be able to validate it this way....

The federal government is expected to announce new travel restrictions Friday