+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Mik486

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
I can't unfortunately. I have DACA and I will be banned from the US for 10 years when I leave. I have a few months still before my COPR expires, so I haven't asked for an extension yet.
I am in the same boat. Have you landed yet? If you did, can you tell me how it was at the border? For example what questions did they ask you? My CoPR expires July 9th

mayar-123456789

Star Member
Nov 25, 2019
Hi dear, apprecite if you explain further, my CoPR will expire by May7th, and i'm not ready to take the risk and travel with my whole family during this outbreak.
So do you mean please that similar cases got a NO from IRCC for visa extension because of not travelling during the outbreak?
yes i read here

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
yes i read here
Once again I am repeating that @bhavind was rejected extension before this situation worsened and by that time IRCC didn't issue any instructions related to COVID-19. Back then, there was no provision from their side to raise webform regarding this issue.

Farahnaz11

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2019
App. Filed.......
March 08 2019
AOR Received.
April 10 2019
Med's Request
May 1 2019
Med's Done....
May 6 2019
I submitted a webform just now since India extended lockdown until May 3 and my visa is expiring on May 12 most probably won’t make it :( and I am sure after May 3 India will be like we gonna extend the travel ban again surprise lol

• Haha
Reactions: pumpkin_latte

Jeevan123

Jan 8, 2019
I just realized Aircanada updated its "New government-imposed entry requirements" page.
In the section "Will I be allowed entry into Canada?", it says that for foreign nationals:
"No – Only transiting through Canada is permitted. (See Transit through Canada). "

Damn I thought we COPR holders were allowed?!
Is there a way to contact air Canada for clarification? I tried calling customer care and they said they cannot comment on it as they only share details related to bookings. I am thinking to drop an email to them but not sure if that works.

Reactions: aurelero

akrapovic

Apr 13, 2020
Hey everyone. I've been reading this forum for a while but a few days ago (me and my girlfriend) successfully landed in Canada and wanted to share our experience with other users.

We were residing in the USA for a last few years and our COPR was issued at the beginning of January so we were under official Canada travel ban exemptions. We drove from Illinois to Montana where on the 7th of April crossed land border at the Sweet Grass/Coutts Port of Entry. Once we reached Canadian side we were said that they don't process COPR even though I called to CBSA hour before and they assured me there won't be any problem with landing in Canada. After answering many questions I was returned to US border to finish car export paperwork (I missed special gate for the car export so had to reenter US again to finish the process). Hour later we were at the canadian border again, this time we were greeted by a different custom officer who was very nice and everything went smooth until we were asked to come to the office in order to finish landing. Officers were very rude, mean and seemed frustrated of the fact we decided to land during pandemic. Bunch of questions were asked like "why today? Don't you see nobody is here?!!", about status in the US (which shouldn't matter!!), details about our application, proof of funds, goods brought to Canada and the most important !!!!proof of the address where we going to self isolatte for another 14 days!!!! This was the most important information asked, without which they would't have let us land!! If you are going to land anytime soon book a place in advance for at least 14 days. Finally we were asked to sign paperwork and ready to go to our destination.

Staying in Canada under self isolation is quite difficult right now since most of the grocery stores don't deliver groceries same day. The demand is so high that it takes them even 5-7 days to deliver groceries. Just make sure you have someone who can drop groceries especially when you are moving with kids.

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Is there a way to contact air Canada for clarification? I tried calling customer care and they said they cannot comment on it as they only share details related to bookings. I am thinking to drop an email to them but not sure if that works.
I don't even know what service we should contact in that regard. I just tried my luck contacting them on twitter.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hey everyone. I've been reading this forum for a while but a few days ago (me and my girlfriend) successfully landed in Canada and wanted to share our experience with other users.

We were residing in the USA for a last few years and our COPR was issued at the beginning of January so we were under official Canada travel ban exemptions. We drove from Illinois to Montana where on the 7th of April crossed land border at the Sweet Grass/Coutts Port of Entry. Once we reached Canadian side we were said that they don't process COPR even though I called to CBSA hour before and they assured me there won't be any problem with landing in Canada. After answering many questions I was returned to US border to finish car export paperwork (I missed special gate for the car export so had to reenter US again to finish the process). Hour later we were at the canadian border again, this time we were greeted by a different custom officer who was very nice and everything went smooth until we were asked to come to the office in order to finish landing. Officers were very rude, mean and seemed frustrated of the fact we decided to land during pandemic. Bunch of questions were asked like "why today? Don't you see nobody is here?!!", about status in the US (which shouldn't matter!!), details about our application, proof of funds, goods brought to Canada and the most important !!!!proof of the address where we going to self isolatte for another 14 days!!!! This was the most important information asked, without which they would't have let us land!! If you are going to land anytime soon book a place in advance for at least 14 days. Finally we were asked to sign paperwork and ready to go to our destination.

Staying in Canada under self isolation is quite difficult right now since most of the grocery stores don't deliver groceries same day. The demand is so high that it takes them even 5-7 days to deliver groceries. Just make sure you have someone who can drop groceries especially when you are moving with kids.
@akrapovic Thanks for sharing your experience! That sounds like a stressful experience sadly :(
But congratulations on getting it done! Every time I call the CBSA, even the specific port that I plan to cross, they seem quite friendly/ok with us landing, but it seems like the on-ground landing experience is not as pleasant. Stressful times all around.

Do you plan to return to the US after your isolation? That is the other thing that is dissuading me from traveling currently, that situation seems very uncertain, so wondering if you had any information/experience about that?

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
hi guys, i raised a webform with IRCC >10 days ago about not being able to travel. Have not heard anything, not even automated acknowledgement. Has anyone sent a webform in the last 2 weeks and heard back?

akrapovic

Apr 13, 2020
@akrapovic Thanks for sharing your experience! That sounds like a stressful experience sadly :(
But congratulations on getting it done! Every time I call the CBSA, even the specific port that I plan to cross, they seem quite friendly/ok with us landing, but it seems like the on-ground landing experience is not as pleasant. Stressful times all around.

Do you plan to return to the US after your isolation? That is the other thing that is dissuading me from traveling currently, that situation seems very uncertain, so wondering if you had any information/experience about that?
No, not planning to go to US anytime soon. Just want to settle down in Canada.

Farahnaz11

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2019
App. Filed.......
March 08 2019
AOR Received.
April 10 2019
Med's Request
May 1 2019
Med's Done....
May 6 2019
I sent a webform and an email to London visa office they respond rit away here’s the email
We have received your enquiry regarding the validity date of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR) and visa (if required).

Your application has been updated with notification of your current inability to travel before the expiry of your document. Your application will not be closed or refused as a result of not being able to travel within the validity of these documents due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

Please note that your documents will remain valid for travel up until the expiry date shown on the documents, should you be able to travel before that date.

Any extension to the validity of your documents will only be possible after a review of your application by an officer, to determine whether any new assessments, including a new immigration medical examination are required. Once you have met all the requirements to have your documents reissued, you will be instructed as to which documents to submit for reprinting of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR), and visa (if required). Do not submit your passport until you are instructed to do so.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experiences!!!

Even though IRCC has made us exempt but I have read a few posts about others also facing such stressful experiences. Clearly, shows on-ground officers are not happy about us landing.

Congratulations on completing your landing successfully!! That is what matters in the end!!!

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Anu Ashokkumar

Feb 15, 2019
Hi as per cic COPR ARE ALLOWED TO TRAVEL THE LAST UPDATE WAS ON 9 th April 2020 so Air Canada should be allowing them COPR as they need to get updated see the cic website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html