+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cook looking for work in Canada

jamash

Apr 20, 2012
Hi all.

I am currently looking for work in Canada as a cook. I live in the UK and I am looking for an employer to sponsor me or point me in the right direction. I am currently going through the process of applying as a skilled worker as a cook, but my application could take years to process and I am looking for work now. I have included details of myself if you think you can help me.

Here is my work experience -
• 3 years as a kitchen assistant –
o Duties: Cold and hot food preparation, stock control, meal distribution, kitchen clean downs, and assisting cooks.
• 1.5 years as a line cook –
o Duties: Cooking hot and cold meals from a set menu, stock control, adding specials, handle food orders, work in a fast paced environment, and manage my area (garnish area with some experience on mains and grill).

I also have years of educational knowledge in IT and Business. Here is my education –
• Wigan and Leigh College (2006-2011) –
o ICT First Diploma: Distinction
o IT and Business National Certificate: Double Distinction
o Key Skills Application of Number level 2: Pass
o Key Skills Communication Level 3: Pass
o Computing Higher National Diploma: 11 Distinction & 5 Merits
• Open University (2010 – June-October) –
o Starting with Psychology: Pass
• Northumbria University (2011-2012) –
o BSc Applied Computing: Pass (Results will be available in July)

A little bit of information about myself –
I am from the UK, I am 22, I have a full UK driving licence, and I have recently finished my studies at University. I have had various types of jobs working in kitchens which I enjoyed and I am now looking for full-time work as a cook. My hobbies include swimming, jogging, watching movies at the cinema, and I am currently learning how to play the keyboard. I am English and have a full grasp on the English language whilst I am attempting to learn French on and off.

If anyone has any information that could help me immigrate to Canada, preferably to Saskatoon or an English speaking city, then could you please help as I am lost on what to do next as I am desperate to find a job soon.

Cheers,

Jamie Ashbrook

Pummelchen

Star Member
Jun 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since when this forum is a job board ? Post your resume on the Job Bank/Monster/Indeed/Jobserve etc and study the CiC website intensively.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My guess is that you will not easily find work in Canada as a cook. They aren't currently accepting skilled-worker applications from cooks, as the quota has been reached, and it's entirely likely that the government will try to force people currently receiving employment insurance benefits to take jobs such as those before bringing in foreigners to do them.

A Canadian employer will have to show that they can't find anyone already in Canada to take a job before they can sponsor you for a temporary work permit to do that job, and a lot of employers don't even want to bother with the paperwork.