+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Converting visitor visa to spouse open work permit

Simmi grewal

Aug 28, 2019
Hi,

I wanted to ask, i am here in Canada on Study permit i came in december 2021 for Jan 2022 intake, and my husband had his tourist visa as well he just came recently as well, we are thinking if he can stay her with me on spouse open work permit and help me study here. Wanted to ask when can we apply for his spousal open work permit? is there any specific time period that we should apply after for better approval chances or we can apply now in feb?

FYI: my course ends in Aug 2022

Also, just in case if his spousal work permit gets rejected if we apply, will his tourist status in Canada gets affected or stays the same?

please any answers would be helpful

suzanne456

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
You can find more information on applying inside Canada from here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/help-your-spouse-common-law-partner-work-canada.html

You'll have to pay attention to the processing times to issue the work permit to see if it is even worthwhile, processing times reflected on the website are not as accurate. Your course might finish before your husband is issued a WP,

unless you decide to extend your course of study and proceed with something else, that has an extended duration and that might also offer you access to a PGWP.