+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contacting IRCC - phone vs. web form (PR card renewal issue)?

Anik

Dec 13, 2011
We have an issue with PR card renewal - the IRCC did not put the unit number in the address (it was on the application, they missed it). So they mailed the card to the address without the unit # and it never arrived. I am suspecting it got returned by Canada post to IRCC and hoping they are able to mail it again (best case scenario).

I already contacted IRCC by phone (40 min on hold to get through to an agent). He updated the address for me (and it did show up correct on the profile the day after). However, he said that until 6 weeks pass after the date mailed (their rule) there is nothing we can do - just wait to see if the card comes back to IRCC. He suggested I call after 6 weeks to see if we need to fill in the solemn declaration etc.

My question is whether it is sufficient that I phoned them about this issue or whether I should also submit a web form inquiry to let them know - in writing - that even though case status it 'complete' ( card was mailed) it was never received due to error in address on profile and that the address has just been changed through an agent.
Just so that they know not to close the case and hopefully re-mail the card when /if it comes back...

Or is this not necessary and phone call is sufficient for now (before 6 wk passed)? Do they put any notes on one's case when we call?

Just want some visibility to the fact that the address was incorrect on profile at mailing time and it is corrected now.

Wondering what their process is for returned mail - does it go into another long queue with processing time of X months. In case they do check the case once they receive it it would be good to have some note on the case explaining why it got returned - to speed up the process of re-mailing hopefully...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We have an issue with PR card renewal - the IRCC did not put the unit number in the address (it was on the application, they missed it). So they mailed the card to the address without the unit # and it never arrived. I am suspecting it got returned by Canada post to IRCC and hoping they are able to mail it again (best case scenario).

I already contacted IRCC by phone (40 min on hold to get through to an agent). He updated the address for me (and it did show up correct on the profile the day after). However, he said that until 6 weeks pass after the date mailed (their rule) there is nothing we can do - just wait to see if the card comes back to IRCC. He suggested I call after 6 weeks to see if we need to fill in the solemn declaration etc.

My question is whether it is sufficient that I phoned them about this issue or whether I should also submit a web form inquiry to let them know - in writing - that even though case status it 'complete' ( card was mailed) it was never received due to error in address on profile and that the address has just been changed through an agent.
Just so that they know not to close the case and hopefully re-mail the card when /if it comes back...

Or is this not necessary and phone call is sufficient for now (before 6 wk passed)? Do they put any notes on one's case when we call?

Just want some visibility to the fact that the address was incorrect on profile at mailing time and it is corrected now.

Wondering what their process is for returned mail - does it go into another long queue with processing time of X months. In case they do check the case once they receive it it would be good to have some note on the case explaining why it got returned - to speed up the process of re-mailing hopefully...
No need to email just wait until the 6 weeks is up an follow-up. IRCC deals with a huge volume of mail and new immigrants and refugees often move around when first settling in Canada so they likely get quite a lot of returned mail. I would anticipate you'll have to fill out the form declaring your card is lost and get a new. I could be wrong an maybe the cars will show up but wouldn't count on it. You do need to wait because extra PR cards mean the potential for someone to commit fraud so they want to make sure they don't get sent back to you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One in-law was in similar situation. I did both phone and webform for my in law ealy in the month. Despite the agent said 6 weeks, the actual PR card arrived before New Year's Eve.

Anik

Dec 13, 2011
One in-law was in similar situation. I did both phone and webform for my in law ealy in the month. Despite the agent said 6 weeks, the actual PR card arrived before New Year's Eve.
THank you for sharing! So, are you saying your in-law's card was also mailed but did not come for whatever reason and came back to them eventually? you think they resent the card that was returned to them?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
THank you for sharing! So, are you saying your in-law's card was also mailed but did not come for whatever reason and came back to them eventually? you think they resent the card that was returned to them?
For some reason they didn't have the address and the card was not mailed to begin with.

eblend

Dec 30, 2018

What prompts did you follow to be able to actually talk to a person? I got an address issue as well, but hasn't been mailed yet, so trying to catch it before it leaves!

Anik

Dec 13, 2011
For some reason they didn't have the address and the card was not mailed to begin with.
I see. In some way it it somewhat better than our situation - since it was not mailed you did not have to sign any extra papers to declare it got lost /not received...Were they still telling your in-law to wait 6 weeks?

Anik

Dec 13, 2011
What prompts did you follow to be able to actually talk to a person? I got an address issue as well, but hasn't been mailed yet, so trying to catch it before it leaves!
I did not write down the prompts (I should have probably). I think I picked something that had to do with 'permanent resident card' and then at soem point there was an option about 'Reporting lost card' so I figured I pick this one (since we did not receive the mailed card due to the wrong address). This one put me into a queue for an agent (took 40 min to get through though)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see. In some way it it somewhat better than our situation - since it was not mailed you did not have to sign any extra papers to declare it got lost /not received...Were they still telling your in-law to wait 6 weeks?
Yup, but I like I said the card arrived after 2 weeks.