+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Consideration of Taxes for new immigrant???

mastfadi

May 24, 2013
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER : 13-11-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
19-June-2014
Med's Done....
15-July-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1: 21-July-2014::PPR2:3-Aug-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
01-May-2015
Hi,

I have received my PR card but I am not planning to move to Canada for another 2 years. I have moved some funds to a Canadian Bank and thats all I have in Canada at the moment.

1)Am I eligible to consider paying any taxes because I moved those funds to Canada?.
2)Also If I make any investment in Canada when I have still not moved to Canada permanently like buying an apartment and giving that on rent, how will my taxes look like after that ? Will I have to pay taxes on that apartment and the rent I get in Canada ?
3)Also will I have to declare all my assets both inside and outside Canada when I file my first taxes? The reason for that may be because I declare all my assets which I have before moving to Canada so that they may not be taxable

Please I have tried to understand the taxation and I know no one would have a definite answer on that. Only a lawyer can give the most accurate answer but please let me know if you have any knowledge on these points.

Would appreciate.

mastfadi

May 24, 2013
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
19-June-2014
Med's Done....
15-July-2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
01-May-2015
Would really appreciate if anyone can shed some light on my questions with whatever knowledge available..

Thanks in advance

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Maybe this will help? http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/rsdncy-eng.html

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
mastfadi said:
1)Am I eligible to consider paying any taxes because I moved those funds to Canada?.
2)Also If I make any investment in Canada when I have still not moved to Canada permanently like buying an apartment and giving that on rent, how will my taxes look like after that ? Will I have to pay taxes on that apartment and the rent I get in Canada ?
3)Also will I have to declare all my assets both inside and outside Canada when I file my first taxes? The reason for that may be because I declare all my assets which I have before moving to Canada so that they may not be taxable

1) You will be taxed on the earnings on your funds in Canada, if any. If your funds are sitting in a non-interest bearing account, you don't need to worry about anything.
2) Rental income will be taxed. As a non-resident, you are subject to a withholding of 25% of your total rental income, which is adjusted after you file your returns for the year. You will not pay taxes on the purchase of the apartment (other than the land transfer tax) but will be subject to capital gains tax once you sell it.
3) Once you commence filing tax returns as a resident, you will be questioned about your assets outside of Canada. You will have to start paying taxes on the income generated by these assets, as well as any gains on these assets. However, this only commences once you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes.

I hope this helps.

mastfadi

May 24, 2013
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
19-June-2014
Med's Done....
15-July-2014
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
01-May-2015
Torontosm,

If I have no ties with Canada except the apartment I will own and get rent on that, will I be considered a non-resident or a factual resident of Canada as an apartment may be considered a significant tie and I may be considered resident for tax purposes right?? in which case i would end up paying taxes on income outside Canada which I don't want at all.

Please give me some more detail on that.

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mastfadi said:
Torontosm,

If I have no ties with Canada except the apartment I will own and get rent on that, will I be considered a non-resident or a factual resident of Canada as an apartment may be considered a significant tie and I may be considered resident for tax purposes right?? in which case i would end up paying taxes on income outside Canada which I don't want at all.

Thanks
You will need to file tax for your Canadian rental income. Call CRA to discuss your situation.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
mastfadi said:
Torontosm,

Thanks
If your apartment is rented to a non-related party (i.e., not a relative) on an arms-length basis, and you don't keep your personal possessions (i.e., furniture) in the unit, then you can record your rental income while still being a non-resident for tax purposes. The only thing to bear in mind is that you should remit 25% of the total rent to the CRA on a monthly basis.