+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion Regarding Expiry DATE on PR CARD. Pls Help

subashbala

Jun 20, 2010
Hello,

My PR CARD mentions the following information

Became Permanent Resident on :06 SEPTEMBER 2005

Date of Expiry : 06 NOVEMBER 2010

I am confused as to why the Expiry Date is more than 5 years from the Date I became PR. Can someone help me understand this?

Which date should be taken into consideration when checking if i meet PR Residency Obligations...

Should i calculate 5 years beginning from 06 September 2005( Date I became PR) OR Should i calculate 5 years backwards from 06 NOVEMBER 2010 ( Date of Expiry mentioned)

A Little Background :

I landed in Toronto for the first time along with My dad,mom and sister on 6th Sep 2005. While my dad,mom and sister received their PR Cards With Expiry Date as 6 Sep 2010 within a few weeks of landing,
my PR Card was sent very late ..after more than 3 months ..Could this be the reason why the Date of Expiry on my PR was extended?

Appreciate your help..

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You calculate your residency obligation from the date you became a PR so in your case it would be 06 SEPTEMBER 2005 . If you look on the back of the PR card this date you became a PR should be there.

The Expiration date on the PR is just, well, what it says... an expiration date. I think PR cards are typically valid for 5 years. i.e. from the date it was actually issued. Has nothing to do with your residency obligation.

subashbala

Jun 20, 2010
Alabaman said:
The Expiration date on the PR is just, well, what it says... an expiration date. I think PR cards are typically valid for 5 years. i.e. from the date it was actually issued. Has nothing to do with your residency obligation.
If the PR Cards are typically valid for 5 years from the Date it was issued( as you mentioned above), i d like to know why the expiry date on my PR is more than 5 years from Date of Issue ?

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
subashbala said:
If the PR Cards are typically valid for 5 years from the Date it was issued( as you mentioned above), i d like to know why the expiry date on my PR is more than 5 years from Date of Issue ?
So you landed 06 Sept 2005. You got your PR card ~ 3 months later, so lets say 06 Dec 2005. It was probably issued (printed) a month before (06 Nov. 2005) and it took some time to get through the processing and mailing and then to you.

So 5 years from 06 Nov 2005 will be ~06 Nov 2010 (which is the expiration on your card). Makes sense??

subashbala

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks a lot Alabaman...

I was worried I would not meet the PR Residency Obligation of 2 years within 5 years if the 5 years started from 06 Sep 2005 and ended on 06 Sep 2010( i ve been travelling in and out of canada) . But if it started from 06 Nov 2005, then i would be able to fulfill the residency obligation of 2 years as I have enough time till 06 Nov 2010 to complete the 2 years obligation.

Thanks Again!!!

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It does not matter wether your card is expired or not. What you have to ensure is that from the date you apply for renewal, count 5 years backwards and make sure that in those 5 years, you meet 730 days. If you have to wait extra days after your card expiration date to meet 730 days (in last 5 years) then do so. All the best.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You always have to meet the 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years counting from today backwards. If you are outside Canada and happen to lose your PR card or it is stolen, the only way you get back to Canada is to apply for a travel document. When you list your absences from Canada on your travel document application and they see that you do not have 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years or if you are PR for less than 5 years, that you will be unable to meet the requirements of 730 days in your first 5 years as a PR, they will not issue you a travel document.

If you don't lose your PR card, you will likely slip into Canada unnoticed even if you are a bit short of the 730 days but when applying to renew your PR card, make sure that you have the 730 days before you apply.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You always have to meet the 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years counting from today backwards. If you are outside Canada and happen to lose your PR card or it is stolen, the only way you get back to Canada is to apply for a travel document. When you list your absences from Canada on your travel document application and they see that you do not have 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years or if you are PR for less than 5 years, that you will be unable to meet the requirements of 730 days in your first 5 years as a PR, they will not issue you a travel document.
Quick question Leon, if you are outside canada with an expired PR and you need to get back into Canada by applying for a travel document, will you need to proof if some way that you met the residency obligation besides just filling the dates? Like do you need to show documents that you met the 2 yr residency obligation?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to show documents, just fill out the dates but if they happen to not believe your dates, they can ask you to prove them.