+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about minor citizenship.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got my Oath last month .I didn't get exact answer any where about minor citizenship application weather they should fulfill their PR residencey obligation 2 years out of five year if they are PR card holder more than five year & if less than five year they can fulfill this requirement with in five year. We became PR on 12 June2011 & my children lived 1139 days in home country means that they will be in canada for 656 days during 5 year up to 12/06/2016. Can I apply their citizenship now.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
ar_fabrics said:
I got my Oath last month .I didn't get exact answer any where about minor citizenship application weather they should fulfill their PR residencey obligation 2 years out of five year if they are PR card holder more than five year & if less than five year they can fulfill this requirement with in five year. We became PR on 12 June2011 & my children lived 1139 days in home country means that they will be in canada for 656 days during 5 year up to 12/06/2016. Can I apply their citizenship now.
As far as I know, kids don't have to fulfill the residency requirements as long as the parent does, so you could have included your child in your application (and they'd have become a citizen in the same day as you).

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ar_fabrics said:
Thanks MiriamT. I am citizen now. In instruction it is mention children should have valid PR status so iam still confused.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
ar_fabrics said:
Thanks MiriamT. I am citizen now. In instruction it is mention children should have valid PR status so iam still confused.
Having valid PR status isn't the same as meeting regular residency citizenship requirements (which you would have to fulfill, not your child).

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
By which I mean: your child would still need to meet residency requirements to maintain PR status (2 out of 5 years), but wouldn't need to meet 3 out of 4 years for citizenship, this part would have been on you only.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But as I told they will live 656 days during 5 year so at the time they are not fulfilling 2 year out of 5 year are they still eligible ???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They don't have to meet the RO for citizenship nor for PR as long as they still have their PR status. And they should be living in Canada. So if that is the case, you can apply for them.

Just because somebody doesn't meet the 730 days doesn't mean they magically lose their PR on the very day that happens.

There have been several cases here of minor children not meeting the RO for PR and still getting citizenship.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
They don't have to meet the RO for citizenship nor for PR as long as they still have their PR status. And they should be living in Canada. So if that is the case, you can apply for them.

Just because somebody doesn't meet the 730 days doesn't mean they magically lose their PR on the very day that happens.

There have been several cases here of minor children not meeting the RO for PR and still getting citizenship.
Thanks Leon for answer. Now Iam satisfied. Your time for this forum is remarkable.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied for my under 14 year kid after a lot of discussion on Canada Visa forum that he is not fulfilling PR residencey requirement that time. I got advise that children are not required to fulfill residencey requirement for Citizenship when a parent is Canadian citizen. Today got gcms information with notes file is being referred to local office due to residencey concern.so I think now I should withdraw application ?? Or Long wait. Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ar_fabrics said:
I applied for my under 14 year kid after a lot of discussion on Canada Visa forum that he is not fulfilling PR residencey requirement that time. I got advise that children are not required to fulfill residencey requirement for Citizenship when a parent is Canadian citizen. Today got gcms information with notes file is being referred to local office due to residencey concern.so I think now I should withdraw application ?? Or Long wait. Regards
If they were to deny him citizenship and revoke his PR based on him not meeting the RO for PR, you can easily sponsor him again and then apply for his citizenship right away if you are a citizen yourself.

How likely that is to happen.. I have actually never heard of a case where they revoked a child's PR after a citizenship application so I think it would be rare.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
If they were to deny him citizenship and revoke his PR based on him not meeting the RO for PR, you can easily sponsor him again and then apply for his citizenship right away if you are a citizen yourself.

How likely that is to happen.. I have actually never heard of a case where they revoked a child's PR after a citizenship application so I think it would be rare.
Thanks for your reply. They will fulfill PR residency in Nov 2015 ( 2 year from 5 year ) can I apply renewal of PR cards?? If cic take long time to decide for citizenship applcation. Please also advise me that if they spend summer holidays with me then as Iam Canadian their holidays in home country will count in PR residencey obligation & in worst case if they revoke PR card can I appeal on humantarian basis as they are studying here?? Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ar_fabrics said:
Thanks for your reply. They will fulfill PR residency in Nov 2015 ( 2 year from 5 year ) can I apply renewal of PR cards?? If cic take long time to decide for citizenship applcation. Please also advise me that if they spend summer holidays with me then as Iam Canadian their holidays in home country will count in PR residencey obligation & in worst case if they revoke PR card can I appeal on humantarian basis as they are studying here?? Regards
You mean to say they will fulfill in Nov 2016 or they already fulfilled in Nov 2015?

You can apply for renewal of PR cards when they meet the RO and not before. Time spent with a Canadian parent outside Canada counts towards the RO for PR if they are minor children. However, only time spent after you became a citizen if that is an issue in your case.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same case as my son he came in 2013 as long my status is clear as an adult I mean full filled all requirements of citizenship they didn't even check anything for him except at the end took his pr card on oath that's all don't stress. on u r child application I remember submitting his pr card health card n school admission letter or any proof from school u have that's all can ask any questions as I am recently done with all the process n finally Canadian lol best of luck to all.