+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused abt revealing marital status

nisah

Feb 19, 2011
I am a PR holder, I plan to go ack to Malayia to get married. My fiance is a pakistani citizen. I will stay with him after marriage for 9-12 months and then come back to Canada and apply to sponsor him (outland). My question is, if I am asked at the border why i was away from Canada for such a long period, is it safe to tell the truth, that I had gone to get married or should I just say that I had gone to visit the family. I would prefer to tell the truth but an immigration consultant had advised me against it, saying that it was a private matter and there was no need to reveal anything before I apply to be a sponsor. Please advice. Thank you.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nisah said:
I am a PR holder, I plan to go ack to Malayia to get married. My fiance is a pakistani citizen. I will stay with him after marriage for 9-12 months and then come back to Canada and apply to sponsor him (outland). My question is, if I am asked at the border why i was away from Canada for such a long period, is it safe to tell the truth, that I had gone to get married or should I just say that I had gone to visit the family. I would prefer to tell the truth but an immigration consultant had advised me against it, saying that it was a private matter and there was no need to reveal anything before I apply to be a sponsor. Please advice. Thank you.
Its always better to tell the truth, any immigration consultant that advises you otherwise tell them you have a very urgent doctors appointment and leave his office immediately, make sure you tightly hold on to your purse as you are leaving his office.... Bloody crooks

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
Did you mention "immigration consultant'' ???

I wouldn't even waste a breath talking to any type of immigration consultant unless I am up for spending a lump sum of money and want to screw up with my application. They know nothing!!!!!!!

Trust me, I have had experiences with a few in my past and I have lost all the way long.

Tell the truth, it wouldn't hurt. Each time my partner entered back into Canada from visiting me, the IO asked why he left Canada and he simply said he went to visit his partner who he is married to and is sponsoring back to Canada.

Good luck!

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
Don't lie to immigration. It will make your application more difficult. Going to get married and living with the person before returning to sponsor will be favorable in the eyes of CIC. If you come back and don't say anything about your spouse, then how will you have proof of your relationship with this person?

Gotchaa

Star Member
Aug 9, 2007
Unbelievable! You should report this immigration consultant to the CIC so that they will cancel his license. How dare he/she advised you to hide such an important aspect of your life which will be the foundation of your sponsorship eventually! May I also add that there is a difference between Immigration lawyers and consultants. Immigration lawyers (not all) are more reliable since they have a legitimate practice and they represent their clients in the immigration court. Immigration consultants are usually bunch of thugs who just know little bit about how to fill up the forms and they pay a fee to Canadian government to get a license for providing services and representing applicants. CIC is very keen to get rid of such consultants and is working vigorously with other authorities to expose and ban such crooked lawyers and consultants. If I were you, I will stop consulting this person first of all and then will provide information to CIC about his misleading advice. It will not hurt your case but could only improve your personal image as a genuine applicant who doesn't have to hide anything from CIC.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Gotchaa said:
Unbelievable! You should report this immigration consultant to the CIC so that they will cancel his license. How dare he/she advised you to hide such an important aspect of your life which will be the foundation of your sponsorship eventually! May I also add that there is a difference between Immigration lawyers and consultants. Immigration lawyers (not all) are more reliable since they have a legitimate practice and they represent their clients in the immigration court. Immigration consultants are usually bunch of thugs who just know little bit about how to fill up the forms and they pay a fee to Canadian government to get a license for providing services and representing applicants. CIC is very keen to get rid of such consultants and is working vigorously with other authorities to expose and ban such crooked lawyers and consultants. If I were you, I will stop consulting this person first of all and then will provide information to CIC about his misleading advice. It will not hurt your case but could only improve your personal image as a genuine applicant who doesn't have to hide anything from CIC.
No consultant should ever advise you to lie about anything on any application or to the CBSA. If they do, fire them. This could be used against you when you file for sponsorship as a misrepresentation.

On a side note I would just like to say when choosing a consultant make sure you check out their credentials/certification and that they're are in good standing with CSIC (Canadian Immigration Consultants of Canada). We chose a consultant over lawyer because of cost and I'm so pleased with her. She is very knowledgable and I am completely satisfied. So let's not lump them all together as a bunch thugs. Some of them take their careers very seriously! You just have to do your research first!

Gotchaa

Star Member
Aug 9, 2007
On a side note I would just like to say when choosing a consultant make sure you check out their credentials/certification and that they're are in good standing with CSIC (Canadian Immigration Consultants of Canada). We chose a consultant over lawyer because of cost and I'm so pleased with her. She is very knowledgable and I am completely satisfied. So let's not lump them all together as a bunch thugs. Some of them take their careers very seriously! You just have to do your research first!

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion. Yes there are good and bad lawyers and consultants like in any other profession. However, the probability or risk of ending up with a bad consultant is higher than the lawyer even with thorough research because there are more consultants than lawyers to choose from. There are many lawyers who charge considerably low fee and provide excellent service as well compared to so many consultants who ask enormous amount for just simple paper work.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Gotchaa said:

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion. Yes there are good and bad lawyers and consultants like in any other profession. However, the probability or risk of ending up with a bad consultant is higher than the lawyer even with thorough research because there are more consultants than lawyers to choose from. There are many lawyers who charge considerably low fee and provide excellent service as well compared to so many consultants who ask enormous amount for just simple paper work.
No offense taken :) I was just letting everyone know to do the reseach first. My consultant is awesome (puts up with my craziness). I had an experience with when choosing listened to the advise of a friend. I went to the recommended consultant without checking him. We paid him and then I did some checking and found out his membership with CSIS had been revoked although he still had his credentials on his wall in his office. We got our money back thank god and I learned a very valuable lesson.

saifsmarty

Apr 4, 2010
pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
ISBD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
JUNE 2011.
Passport Req..
ON WAITING
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING
newtone said:
Its always better to tell the truth, any immigration consultant that advises you otherwise tell them you have a very urgent doctors appointment and leave his office immediately, make sure you tightly hold on to your purse as you are leaving his office.... Bloody crooks
hi ,
we "husband and wife" aplied as co-aplicant with in canada and then my case came to islamabad for PR procesing and i came to islamabad. my wife was caree-giver and i withdrew my rufugee voluntarily and went with her on her aplication as 'co-aplicant'. my question is .. 1- is ths come also husband and wife sponsor ,as we are also family and hav a canadian born baby? which time period is for us ,for our processing , in side canada or out side canada ?? as im waiting here in islamabad and my wife is waiting in canada ..both for our prs. my wife's aplication is complete along time ago and my backgrounds over in ths jan,2011 . our processing has become up till now for 39 months.. how long should i expect at islamabad station ? plzz guide best ,i will be very thankfull as im in pain and miss my family,they r alone waiting for process to be done for last 39 months .one can judge tht how much unfair is ths imigration processing in our case ,as so long time is passed and we r still waiting,i came in pak in july,07 and proces started in nov,07 and uptill now its in process .i cant think and plan anything as this far we have come in ths process ,its very very painfull.plzz help and guide .thanks.