+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conflicting information which is correct.. Help please

icequeen

Jan 27, 2014
One site says this:
These are the study permit requirements for children who are accompanying a parent(s) or legal guardian(s) who will study or work temporarily in Canada:
Pre-school/Kindergarten: no study permit required.
Primary and secondary school (age 6-18): open study permit required. You do not require an acceptance letter from the child’s school in Canada. Please note: children accompanying parents who are visitors in Canada (ie. they do not have a study or work permit) are not eligible for an open study permit.

OR

Another says this
Exceptions: Studying without a study permit
In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:
minor children attending kindergarten;
minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you applying for SP for a program of a duration of one year or more and you child is going with you to Canada to STUDY at school he/she also has to aplly for study permit, only a child does not need an acceptance letter from school as you do from the university.

If your child does not intend to go to school in Canada because he/she is only 2 or 3 years old- he/she will need only a visitor visa. BUT then after some time while living with you in Canada , a child is going to school (let's say he/she is now 6 years old) he/she does not have to have (apply) SP.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
please provide links where u found this conflicting information.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp
Minor children must apply for a study permit if they want to study in Canada .
Isn't it confusing because on the same page below they say:
Exceptions: Studying without a study permit in some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:
minor children attending kindergarten;
minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.

icequeen

Jan 27, 2014
Yes Regina it is very confusing more u read more conflicting information. Thanks for all your help. Also the application form and checklist asks for acceptance letters for the children as well.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can write there N/A or No need in acceptance letter. In Address box write the name of the city where your university is, in Street address box- repeat the name of the place.
You can explain why you did that in your letter to VO (SOP). Actually you should explain in SOP everything that you think could confuse VO. :D

juwonie

Sep 16, 2013
Obtaining an "Acceptance Letter" for your minor children depends on the
routes you want to take to apply for your study permit application. If
you aspire to take the paper route, note that your minor child in school
age will only apply for open study permit, and as such you don't need
an "Acceptance Letter". But if you decide to go through the online
route, your checklist will request for your minor child's "Acceptance
Letter". If you didn't upload this, you won't be able to go on to the
next stage except you modify your answer otherwise.
In order to solve this problem, if you read your study permit guide very
well, under the section of obtaining a study permit for a minor child,
it says, "for attendance @ a primary school or secondary school, a
letter from the school board having jurisdiction over the school where a
minor child will attend."
In my own case, I contacted the Regina School board, and I was asked to
pay just the application fee of $250 for the processing of the
acceptance letter.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
, you won't be able to go on to the
next stage except you modify your answer otherwise
Exactly what I suggested. And you allowed to do that otherwise the form will not allow you to do that.

When you apply for a SP for a study longer than a year your child who is going with you do not need ANY acceptance letter. It is like if you apply under FSW , your child also does not need an acceptance letter from any School board. (And I am MORE than surprised :eek: that they CHARGED you for that paper you actually do not need at all)

This
For attendance at a primary school or secondary school, a letter from the school board having jurisdiction over the school where a minor child will attend indicating:
should be provided when your child goes to study to Canada ALONE.http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5269ETOC.asp#5269E3

When you, a parent, go to university in Canada you cannot know at the moment of applying where are you going to get a place to live and that means you do not know what school you child will attend.
[size=10pt]
Minor children in Canada
There is one exception to this requirement: Minor children who are accompanying a family member who has applied and been approved for a work or study permit before entering Canada do not need to provide a letter of acceptance from an educational institution.
[/size]
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp

icequeen

Jan 27, 2014
Ok so I think the best route is to do a print application because as Regina said I have no idea where I will be living.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you apply online you will have to fill in the Application form , VALIDATE it (button on the top of the form), and only then attach to application. No need to sign. The same with application on paper. You have to have VALIDATION, and this means you have to fill form in on your computer.
However your Family Info form you have to fill in, to print out, TO SIGN, scan and attach (applying online).

The same for your child, only if he is underaged you will sign for him everywhere.

carobbermuda

Jan 5, 2014
I would like to add to this by telling my problem. I did the online application and it did not ask me for a letter from the school because I don't need one for my child. My husband is there with a legal study visa and he will be staying with him. However, they still rejected my son's application saying that I needed a letter from the school. I added a letter to the online application that stated I had a letter from the school if they would like me to upload it.

What on earth do you do if the officer reading your application ignores the information and is incorrect about needing it in the first place?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is upsetting but just do your homework and apply again.

I do not understand how there is no space for Letter of Acceptance from school on online application fro STUDY PERMIT? And even there is no such a space you can always attach it as a letter of explanation. You also can scan quite a lot of papers into ONE file and attach it into a proper place or into the place for Letter of explanation.

Also, it does not matter that you had Consent letter from both parents for your child first time. It was for that process of obtaining SP, this time it is a new process. So, write such a letter appointing your husband a custodian for your child in Canada. Because IN CANADA it is necessary even from parent to parent.
That letter could be written in your own words; however, you should include all that information which is on form IMM5646. And notarize it!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/custodian-parent.pdf