+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confirmation of PR

Mingming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2012
I have got the Confirmation of PR, but without the PR card since still waiting.... Can I leave Canada now and come back after two months?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Have you officially landed in Canada?

If you are from a visa-exempt country you can leave and return... but if your passport is non-visa exempt you need to arrange for a special travel document.

Mingming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2012
Rob_TO said:
Have you officially landed in Canada?

If you are from a visa-exempt country you can leave and return... but if your passport is non-visa exempt you need to arrange for a special travel document.

Thanks for the replied. Is it difficult to apply for the travel document?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Mingming said:
Thanks for the replied. Is it difficult to apply for the travel document?
See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

This is specifically for people who are a PR of Canada and travelling abroad, but don't have their actual PR card (due to not receiving it yet or it being lost).

It seems like a hassle to get. I think you need to apply through the visa office in whatever country you are visiting.

Waqasakram

Jan 18, 2013
Hi Rob_TO,

I have a different question. I have received my Confirmation of PR but I have not landed in Canada yet. I am currently based in UK and in process of setting up my own company. For the next 1 year I have to stay here in UK to establish my business. However I dont want to waste the Spouse Sponsored Canadian Visa. Therefore my plan is to go to Canada and stay there for 3-4 months, apply for PR card and come back to UK once I get my PR. My assumption is that once I get my PR card I should be able to travel out of Canada easily. After 1 year I will move permanently to Canada. Is this scenario possible or am I just dreaming? Due to my nationality I require visa to travel to most of the countries including Canada and UK. Please help.

Thanks and Regards

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Waqasakram said:
Hi Rob_TO,

I have a different question. I have received my Confirmation of PR but I have not landed in Canada yet. I am currently based in UK and in process of setting up my own company. For the next 1 year I have to stay here in UK to establish my business. However I dont want to waste the Spouse Sponsored Canadian Visa. Therefore my plan is to go to Canada and stay there for 3-4 months, apply for PR card and come back to UK once I get my PR. My assumption is that once I get my PR card I should be able to travel out of Canada easily. After 1 year I will move permanently to Canada. Is this scenario possible or am I just dreaming? Due to my nationality I require visa to travel to most of the countries including Canada and UK. Please help.

Thanks and Regards
What you want to do is actually pretty common. Many people get their COPR, do the official landing in Canada... then return to their home country to wrap up and take care of everything before moving here permanently.

Once you officially land in Canada, during the landing process your PR card will be automatically applied for. You MUST HAVE a Canadian address they can send the PR card to (can be a friend or family member). Now you have 2 options.
1. Return immediately to the UK. Since you need a visa to return to Canada and don't have the actual PR card, you will need to get a travel document as i showed above.
2. Wait in Canada until you get the PR card, which takes around 2 months. Then you can enter/exit Canada freely.

In total you only need to check you will live in Canada for 2 out of 5 years to maintain your PR status. Going back for 1 year is no problem. Just note you won't have health insurance here until you permanently move to Canada.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Actually - if you get the document sent to a friend, then you don't even need the travel document... you could land, and the PR card will be sent to the address you give at landing... then you can return to the UK, I don't think you need anything to leave the country. You stay in the UK, and when your PR card arrives in Canada, whoever you sent it to sends it over to you in the UK - and you can return with it whenever you feel like, as long as you maintain PR status by fulfilling PR requirements (but if you're moving in a year, then no problem).
So you can stay in Canada until you have the PR card, or if needed you can leave Canada before getting the PR card, and wait for the card to arrive before you re-enter.
Good luck,
Sweden

Waqasakram

Jan 18, 2013
Rob_TO said:
What you want to do is actually pretty common. Many people get their COPR, do the official landing in Canada... then return to their home country to wrap up and take care of everything before moving here permanently.

Once you officially land in Canada, during the landing process your PR card will be automatically applied for. You MUST HAVE a Canadian address they can send the PR card to (can be a friend or family member). Now you have 2 options.
1. Return immediately to the UK. Since you need a visa to return to Canada and don't have the actual PR card, you will need to get a travel document as i showed above.
2. Wait in Canada until you get the PR card, which takes around 2 months. Then you can enter/exit Canada freely.

In total you only need to check you will live in Canada for 2 out of 5 years to maintain your PR status. Going back for 1 year is no problem. Just note you won't have health insurance here until you permanently move to Canada.
Thank you very much for your detailed response. I was really unsure about this case. Now I am very relaxed. Actually I planned to stay in Canada for 2-3 months so that I get to know the place :) But its good to know that I can immediately leave Canada afterwards if required. Thanks once again.

Regards

Waqasakram

Jan 18, 2013
Sweden said:
Actually - if you get the document sent to a friend, then you don't even need the travel document... you could land, and the PR card will be sent to the address you give at landing... then you can return to the UK, I don't think you need anything to leave the country. You stay in the UK, and when your PR card arrives in Canada, whoever you sent it to sends it over to you in the UK - and you can return with it whenever you feel like, as long as you maintain PR status by fulfilling PR requirements (but if you're moving in a year, then no problem).
So you can stay in Canada until you have the PR card, or if needed you can leave Canada before getting the PR card, and wait for the card to arrive before you re-enter.
Good luck,
Sweden
Thanks for your help. I have few friends there who can help in this case. But personally I would love to stay in Canada for 2-3 months in order to know about the place. But good to know that I can leave Canada immediately if required. Thanks for your help :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sweden said:
You stay in the UK, and when your PR card arrives in Canada, whoever you sent it to sends it over to you in the UK - and you can return with it whenever you feel like,
This is a great idea! So simple and definitely better than going through the hassle of getting a travel document at a foreign visa office.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As you weigh your options, consider that CIC would advise you that Canada Post and the various courier companies have instructions to confiscate any PR Card being mailed and send it back to CIC.

There are people who have reported mailing a PR Card or having a family member take it to them, but FWIW, a travel document is risk-free and often can be issued same-day (check with the Embassy/consulate covering the area where you will be overseas).

Mingming and Waqasakram - if you don't have an address when you land, you can just submit your address when you return in two (or 3-4) months time. As long as you do it before 180 days have passed since your landing, you just need to submit the address to CIC online and they will process the PR Card upon your return once you have your Canadian address set up. If you do send it to a friend or family member's address, and you choose to go the travel document route, you can pick up the PR Card when you return to Canada.

Waqasakram

Jan 18, 2013
OhCanadiana said:
As you weigh your options, consider that CIC would advise you that Canada Post and the various courier companies have instructions to confiscate any PR Card being mailed and send it back to CIC.

There are people who have reported mailing a PR Card or having a family member take it to them, but FWIW, a travel document is risk-free and often can be issued same-day (check with the Embassy/consulate covering the area where you will be overseas).

Mingming and Waqasakram - if you don't have an address when you land, you can just submit your address when you return in two (or 3-4) months time. As long as you do it before 180 days have passed since your landing, you just need to submit the address to CIC online and they will process the PR Card upon your return once you have your Canadian address set up. If you do send it to a friend or family member's address, and you choose to go the travel document route, you can pick up the PR Card when you return to Canada.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Now I am bit worried :( So you are recommending that I should stay in Canada for my PR card but it may not be possible in my case because of my personal situation. Also could you please elaborate the alternative that you have mentioned here? What I understand is that once I land in Canada and come back to UK, I should contact the canadian high commission in london to issue me some kind of temporary visa so that I can go back to Canada after 3-4 months once my PR card is ready. Is my understanding correct?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Waqasakram said:
Hi, thanks for your reply. Now I am bit worried :( So you are recommending that I should stay in Canada for my PR card but it may not be possible in my case because of my personal situation. Also could you please elaborate the alternative that you have mentioned here? What I understand is that once I land in Canada and come back to UK, I should contact the canadian high commission in london to issue me some kind of temporary visa so that I can go back to Canada after 3-4 months once my PR card is ready. Is my understanding correct?
Don't worry. Once you land, you are a PR and don't need to even get your PR Card immediately. For example, if you don't have an address CIC allows you to give it to them for the first 180 days after you land without needing to complete an application.

If you find that you need to leave and don't get your PR card beforehand, go back to the UK and, yes, contact the Canadian High Commission and request a travel document. If you apply in person, they say many applications are processed the same day. They will place a visa-type document in your passport so that the airline allows you to fly to Canada. The travel document will also confirm to the Border Officer that you are a PR, though the stamped CoPR you will have will also help serve that person. The details are at http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/tdpr_info_tvrp.aspx?view=d

Waqasakram

Jan 18, 2013
So in my case I will have to apply for PRTD at Canadian HC in London. Thank you very much for the help. I have another question but on a slightly different topic. I hope I am not putting too many with irrelevant questions on this thread. I have been given the immigration for Quebec and therefore I will be landing in Montreal (most probably). Now the COPR says I should carry CSQ (Certificat de selection du Quebec). I can see even the CSQ number on COPR but I dont have any CSQ with me. What should I do? If there is any relevant discussion thread then please post it here and I will follow it.

bajan246

Jan 5, 2013
i got comfirmation of pr i book flight it was a one way ticket i got to the airport west jet didnot let me get on because i had a one way ticket i show my paper of comfrimation they call someone from westjet in canada they told me i have get visa put in my passport to travel am from barbados i do not need visa my wife call immigration canada they told me i have rigth document to travel do i have buy a retun ticket