Confessions of a Student in Canada

vivek_darry

Jan 3, 2013
Hi Bro,

I have done my B.Sc. (Computer Technology) and my academic scores are:

10th - 80.5%
12th - 70.20%
B.Sc (CT)-63%

I am planning to take IELTS test by march.

I have a total work experience of 7 years. Most of my experience is relating to KPO industry (Non IT).

I am planning to apply for Humber/Centennial GBM 2yr Program for Sep 2013....

From your recent came to know about Health Informatics Program

http://www.georgebrown.ca/T402-2013-2014/

If I choose Health Informatics instead of GBM...I will be getting 1yr + 1yr PGWP...will I be able to get a job in the Health Industry sector after completing my course...

Kindly let me know am I eligible for the Course and also let me know about my Visa chance...

Awaiting for your reply...

Thanks,
Vivek

just_do_it said:
reviving an old thread but thought it might help some prospective students in helping choose a field with ab right future.

I have been reading a lot about this due to my nature of work in the Health sector, but if you are still looking for areas of study and not sure about what to choose, do look into Health Informatics or Health Information Science.

its basically everything to do with IT and management in the health sector, which is a huge part of every province's management.

Canada (and other countries) spend billions in their health sectors and are constantly trying to improve it, so lots of jobs currently and a projected increase in this area in the next 10-20 years. Besides, once you become an expert in the field, you can go just about anywhere in the world and get a job.

As an example, Uvic has a bachelors/ Masters degree in this: http://www.uvic.ca/hsd/hinf/

worth looking into.

The Punisher

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Area-51
Visa Office......
CHC-Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2012
Med's Request
28-11-2012
Med's Done....
03-12-2012
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2013
This is the single most awesome thread related to different queries on this forum. Kudos to @just_do_it for making it easier for us newbies.

Brava Signore!

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@vivek_darry

Not sure how affective a one year diploma would be in health informatics.. the general rule of thumb is to have a degree in this field to have a better shot at relative jobs. Not saying you wouldnt be able to find a job with a diploma, but a degree would offer you a better chance.

i would suggest you go for a masters in this field if you are serious. its only another year but well worth it in the long run.

with a diploma, you can look into getting some certification to add to your resume. The only thing is, its hard to get into the field without work experience. A university will give you a chance to get that experience through co-op. But its good line of work once you get in.

sweet jelly

Dec 17, 2010
just do it

how would you know if the course is a CEC accredited? What is the work of health informatics management? thanks!

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
just_do_it said:
@ vivek_darry

Not sure how affective a one year diploma would be in health informatics.. the general rule of thumb is to have a degree in this field to have a better shot at relative jobs. Not saying you wouldnt be able to find a job with a diploma, but a degree would offer you a better chance.

i would suggest you go for a masters in this field if you are serious. its only another year but well worth it in the long run.

with a diploma, you can look into getting some certification to add to your resume. The only thing is, its hard to get into the field without work experience. A university will give you a chance to get that experience through co-op. But its good line of work once you get in.
Hi just do it,

First, i really appreciate your efforts for taking time and sharing some really valuable information that would be very helpful for freshers.
Profile:
UG: B.tech Information Technology and will have around 3 yrs of IT experience by sept 13.

I understand that a master degree would always be preferred by employers, but problem for me is i coundt find even one university in canada offering my choice of program which is "Information Systems". In this case I have to go with PG Diploma.

My question here is about PG diploma with co-op. How good are they in terms of job prospects? If not hefty, will I atleast get a decent job post studies.

It would be of great help if you can share your thoughts on this.
Thanks.

vivek_darry

Jan 3, 2013
Thanks just_do_it :)

just_do_it said:
@ vivek_darry

chaitnay7777

Star Member
Nov 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hey just do it..
my question is same as of New_Aspirant...i will also be applying in pg diploma after my btech in electonics and communication..the progrm which i will be applying has 2 co-ops...so can this help me in getting job after studies...also progrm is of 2 yrs in conestoga clg (kitchner,ontario)

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no standard yes/ no answer to questions like "will this help me get a job after graduation".
I just explained this to someone else on this forum, job prospects vary from one person to the next due to everybody's situation being different. It depends on your qualification, work experience, skills, how you present yourself to the employer and to a greater degree what an employer is looking for in an employee. More often than not, employers will want someone who is easy to work with. Skills can be taught but attitude cannot.

For example, during my first round of co-op interviews, i had 2 interviews where the interviewer and I had a blast talking about all kinds of random things. I was offered a conditional offer at the spot even though my skills were no where near to what they had advertized in the job requirements. Similarly, i have had interviews where my skill sets were a perfect match but the interview process was very awkward for some reason and just didnt feel like a good fit.

so my advice is to do whatever you can to make yourself stand out and get the interviewer's interest, be it work experience, extra curricular activities, volunteering (this is a big plus), hobbies etc. Throw everything on your resume but dont write it as an essay: short and to the point. Getting an interview call means the employer already thinks you are a good match, they just have to see what your personality is like.

As for degree/ programs... i see a lot of people here emphasizing the title of the program they want to get into. Like someone said they couldnt find a master in "information systems". Thats a load of crap, pardon my french. If you look at the course layout of any Comp Sci master degree and the so called "Information Systems" PG diploma, it will be pretty close. The only difference is that in a degree program, you can choose courses that YOU have interest in whereas most diploma's probably dictate what courses you take each term. that just takes the creativity out of tailoring your education to your interests. Unless of course you rather have other people tell you what you need to study.

since you are spending money on education, i think you should have the power to decide what you want to do. so you can take a regular MSC in Comp Sci and turn it into an "information systems" degree if you want. Frankly, i think there are better options out there than the stereo-typical B-Techs, M-Techs etc. Don't be a sheep, do something different. Just Remember, there are hundreds other graduating every year with the same degree as you are. Look into specialized streams like mechatronics, robotics etc.

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
just_do_it said:
There is no standard yes/ no answer to questions like "will this help me get a job after graduation".
I just explained this to someone else on this forum, job prospects vary from one person to the next due to everybody's situation being different. It depends on your qualification, work experience, skills, how you present yourself to the employer and to a greater degree what an employer is looking for in an employee. More often than not, employers will want someone who is easy to work with. Skills can be taught but attitude cannot.

For example, during my first round of co-op interviews, i had 2 interviews where the interviewer and I had a blast talking about all kinds of random things. I was offered a conditional offer at the spot even though my skills were no where near to what they had advertized in the job requirements. Similarly, i have had interviews where my skill sets were a perfect match but the interview process was very awkward for some reason and just didnt feel like a good fit.

so my advice is to do whatever you can to make yourself stand out and get the interviewer's interest, be it work experience, extra curricular activities, volunteering (this is a big plus), hobbies etc. Throw everything on your resume but dont write it as an essay: short and to the point. Getting an interview call means the employer already thinks you are a good match, they just have to see what your personality is like.

As for degree/ programs... i see a lot of people here emphasizing the title of the program they want to get into. Like someone said they couldnt find a master in "information systems". Thats a load of crap, pardon my french. If you look at the course layout of any Comp Sci master degree and the so called "Information Systems" PG diploma, it will be pretty close. The only difference is that in a degree program, you can choose courses that YOU have interest in whereas most diploma's probably dictate what courses you take each term. that just takes the creativity out of tailoring your education to your interests. Unless of course you rather have other people tell you what you need to study.

since you are spending money on education, i think you should have the power to decide what you want to do. so you can take a regular MSC in Comp Sci and turn it into an "information systems" degree if you want. Frankly, i think there are better options out there than the stereo-typical B-Techs, M-Techs etc. Don't be a sheep, do something different. Just Remember, there are hundreds other graduating every year with the same degree as you are. Look into specialized streams like mechatronics, robotics etc.
I totally agree all the points quoted here. Thank you just-do-it.

No one can deny the fact that attitude plays a very important role in getting a job, i have experienced the same in my previous work as well.

Its not going to be a fair deal switching over my platform as it would be like starting over again from scratch. I best would try to groom myself the way it would help me compete with fellow mates in the field.

faridshariff

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi, thanx for the excellent knowledge..

I wanted to ask this..there are too many students taking admission each sem..and I guess many of them must be looking for on campus job..can you please tell me how does the college go about this?

Nadeem_jee

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2010
U.A.E
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2010
Doc's Request.
30-04-2010
Nomination.....
00-00-00
AOR Received.
30-04-2010/1st AOR
IELTS Request
01-04-2010
File Transfer...
9-06-2010/25-08-2010 2nd AOR
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
00-00-00
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Hi just_do_it ,

Its nice to see your thread....!!! I am applying in a diploma course. I am a professional designer and want to do course in animations. my questions are

1- Is this really matters where you are doing your studies from? Like I selected Newbrunswick for my studies because I can not pay much in the course i selected because in toronto animation courses are 12-15k dollars a year.. My intentions also to get canadian experience also.. Newbruncwick is not much populated area and i feel like there are not much jobs but due to cheaper education and the course which i need to have is there also with cheap rates... I can assume that due to less number of jobs i will be having problems.. but if i select toronto i will not be having enough to show to study in toronto colleges...

2- I ama gradute and I select diploma as an education why because the animation courses are not the part of masters class and while working in the market for so long i feel confertable working practicle instead of more into theories.. people says if u are going to get education lesser status of your previous chances of rejection of visa... but there is no masters in animations and there are other factors of money and all involve..

3- I want to go with my wife.. so we can go togather like she can accompany me as spouse.. or i have to apply once i am there??

4- Spouse can get work permit soon as someone in canada.. Like for student i heared that 6 months of education is neccessory before applying work permit.... Suppose if we live in Newbrunswick will spouse be able to work out of that area??

waiting reply... thanks in advance!!

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Nadeem_jee said:
Hi just_do_it ,

Its nice to see your thread....!!! I am applying in a diploma course. I am a professional designer and want to do course in animations. my questions are

1- Is this really matters where you are doing your studies from? Like I selected Newbrunswick for my studies because I can not pay much in the course i selected because in toronto animation courses are 12-15k dollars a year.. My intentions also to get canadian experience also.. Newbruncwick is not much populated area and i feel like there are not much jobs but due to cheaper education and the course which i need to have is there also with cheap rates... I can assume that due to less number of jobs i will be having problems.. but if i select toronto i will not be having enough to show to study in toronto colleges...

2- I ama gradute and I select diploma as an education why because the animation courses are not the part of masters class and while working in the market for so long i feel confertable working practicle instead of more into theories.. people says if u are going to get education lesser status of your previous chances of rejection of visa... but there is no masters in animations and there are other factors of money and all involve..

3- I want to go with my wife.. so we can go togather like she can accompany me as spouse.. or i have to apply once i am there??

4- Spouse can get work permit soon as someone in canada.. Like for student i heared that 6 months of education is neccessory before applying work permit.... Suppose if we live in Newbrunswick will spouse be able to work out of that area??

waiting reply... thanks in advance!!

1. No, it doesn't matter.
2. Diploma in Animation? You might be right with your logic but it's something which is not possible for VO to understand. May be you should think again.
3. Your spouse need a TRV to enter Canada, it's on you if you want to apply together or separately.
4. Your spouse will get an Open Work Permit, valid up to your SP length.

wJaz

Aug 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just_do_it : man hats off to you! Every single post by you makes some sense. +1 Brother. Stay Blessed.

sunny11

Star Member
Feb 24, 2013
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi!

I'm currently studying F'Sc in Pakistan and I've exmas coming up in April. This is the end of my college and I want to start undergratuate studies in toronto. I'm a teenage girl and not much experienced to immigration procedures and finding a university.

My questions are as under:

1. How to find a good university in toronto and what are the requirements?
2. What is the minimum IELTS score requierd to get admission in any good university in toronto?
3. What is the best time to apply for a university? Application deadline?
4. I want to start my undergratuate studies in September of this year, is it possiable to get admisson for fall session?
5. Ammount required for bank statement?

Please answers my questions,
I shall always be thankful,
Sunny.

aamro1992

Jul 10, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
14-March-2017
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-June-2017
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2017
sunny11 said:
Hi!

I'm currently studying F'Sc in Pakistan and I've exmas coming up in April. This is the end of my college and I want to start undergratuate studies in toronto. I'm a teenage girl and not much experienced to immigration procedures and finding a university.

My questions are as under:

1. How to find a good university in toronto and what are the requirements?
2. What is the minimum IELTS score requierd to get admission in any good university in toronto?
3. What is the best time to apply for a university? Application deadline?
4. I want to start my undergratuate studies in September of this year, is it possiable to get admisson for fall session?
5. Ammount required for bank statement?

Please answers my questions,
I shall always be thankful,
Sunny.
deadline was January 15 for Ouac (http://www.ouac.on.ca/).